1hz to 1HD-FTE engine swap.

safari truck
Been here a while

1hz to 1HD-FTE engine swap.

Unread post by safari truck » May 31st, 2017, 10:49 pm

Hi all, yep i know its been done.
And i know its a great idea but with some hassle with wiring.
i've just purchased the engine with a gearbox and loom, so this is not dreaming...i'm already committed and need 'forum' help.
I've got a solid mechanic to handle the physical swap. And a crack electrician to handle the loom.
BUT...and it's a large but...i am not doing this through a 'big smoke' shop, rather its just guys i know can handle their individual areas.
I need help people...
So...what do i want?
Info...If you've done it? What hassles are not obvious?
But in general order.
1- airbox swap. Who makes them and why do you think they are worth my $$?
2- exhaust. What is your preferred brand? back it with reasons please.
3- intercooler. Same deal. Who? and why? and front mount or top?
4- install...does the manual gearbox attached to the stock FTE fit clean up through the tunnel into the stock gearshift hole... or will i have drama? (Its from the ute apparently.) I've read these combo's fit the beam axle with regards the sump clearing the control arms. True/false?
5. A mate swears i will need thermo fans...but...he too is running on heresy not actual experience?
6- Chip! the all important 'black magic' that changes everything...who and why?
7- Gauges- No gauges inside at the moment...yep i want some...nice to have more crap to look at while driving! What do i really need...where is easy to mount? Thinking pillar but am open to suggestions.
8- What have i missed? There is already a PWR radiator for the extra heat...
I fully intend to do the clutch while still easy to get to. The drive shafts? bolt straight up? really?
Finally... what fiddly stuff is gonna give me real 'drop all tools and curse' kinda grief?
9- Finally...ummm i have already previously installed a 2 and a half beaudesert exhaust to the car...how in hell does the 3 inch fit in that tight spot above the rear diff area? Really? it'll go? Have you done it without resorting to a 3lb hammer?

Any and all feedback...i'll have a beer for each reply... :lol: :lol:
Adulthood... its about doing the things you dreamt about as a child...and hurry it up...there is a time limit!

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Re: 1hz to 1HD-FTE engine swap.

Unread post by Neat 60 » June 1st, 2017, 3:51 pm

Sounds awesome. I reckon you're going to be hard pressed getting an educated response from this forum due to the amount of tumbleweeds that blow around here these days.

You'd be better off going to straight to a source that has done the conversion. Send Crankycruiser a PM or if you're on FB look up Ray Clark and get in contact with him that way.

Or for some light reading http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewt ... 7&t=133706

safari truck
Been here a while

Re: 1hz to 1HD-FTE engine swap.

Unread post by safari truck » June 11th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Thanks Neat 60. I've been keeping an eye on the post...yup dead as you predicted...sigh...hope Cranky replies.
Lots of opinions around...very little help. yes a 1hd-ft would have bolted in very simply...but the reality is that if you have a 'lecky who has done it before...then its mostly the same job. And the ft motor is going for 10-12k...my Fte came with gearbox and loom for 7k. leaves a big handful of bickies to pay for more goodies yeah?
Anyway i'll see how it goes. I might be in the wrong section...Mods? you there?
Adulthood... its about doing the things you dreamt about as a child...and hurry it up...there is a time limit!

Return to “80 Series”