Anyone tried these Braided brake lines? Any better braking?

aocc
Here and there

Anyone tried these Braided brake lines? Any better braking?

Unread post by aocc » November 13th, 2016, 4:49 pm

I am running 285/75R16 tyres and i must admit the stopping pedal isn`t the best. So I was wondering if anybody has put these braided Brake lines on, and was there a big difference or any difference for that matter.
Landcruiser HDJ80R VX Sahara '90-92 brake upgrade- SAFEBRAKE Performance Hoses
( 181057154069 )

Cheers

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: Braided brake lines

Unread post by mydmax » November 13th, 2016, 7:16 pm

Braided lines do absolutely NOTHING for braking ability. The Laws of Physics do not change.
Only feel and pedal height may improve but the same discs/friction material are doing the braking.

Only friction material with a high coefficient of friction and or bigger discs or higher line pressure from higher vacuum or booster dia will do what you want.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » November 13th, 2016, 8:23 pm

Does your model have the dual diaphragm booster?, if not that would help too. and be an easy mod to make

aocc
Here and there

Unread post by aocc » November 14th, 2016, 7:18 am

typhoeus

I am not sure if i do or not/ Is it easier to install a higher brake booster than changing the hoses (which now might be a waste of time!)?

nilla60

Re: Anyone tried these Braided brake lines? Any better braki

Unread post by nilla60 » November 14th, 2016, 7:50 pm

Or if you have an older 80, this:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hdj81- ... cs.379674/
"The stock front brakes on the HDJ81 are mediocre at best. It only took a couple of years for Toyota to realize that and switch to larger parts and they were kind enough to make the whole system interchangeable and bolt-in. By collecting the right parts you can make your front braking system a generation newer."

aocc
Here and there

Unread post by aocc » November 15th, 2016, 5:35 pm

MMM thanks for that not to sure i can fit them to my 91 vx. I also think it might be a tad more expensive than Canadia But well worth a think

jimbo1969
Here and there

Unread post by jimbo1969 » November 26th, 2016, 9:41 am

the theory is that the rubber hoses expand a bit as the pressure builds. The braid stops this expansion and the force goes to the pads instead of being lost in the hose. I have done this to one car and did not notice any difference though......

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » November 26th, 2016, 10:52 am

The same brake pressure gives the SAME braking performance. Physics laws say so.
The fitting of braided lines DO NOT alter the pressures developed by a master cylinder or ABS pump and whatever pressure is there is what applies the brake, be it Disc or drum.

You may however, notice the a harder feel or less squashy feel of the pedal after braided lines are fitted because there is less expansion of the line under pressure.

It remains a mystery why some people believe info which has no basis in fact or in the Laws of Physics. Perhaps some posters have indeed altered the Laws of physics but haven't YET been recognized, by the Scientific Professorial community, for their intense research into such matters.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » November 26th, 2016, 8:06 pm

A way around the first law of thermodynamics? That will be interesting!!

mad_mat222
Been here a while

Re: Anyone tried these Braided brake lines? Any better braking?

Unread post by mad_mat222 » March 23rd, 2018, 4:53 pm

Mydmax is correct about pressures but is incorrect about performance. Braided brake lines make a difference. Particularly noticeable on mx bikes. The problem with rubber lines is the expansion of the rubber. While it’s moving, the caliper piston is not. So the first part of the pedal travel is spent taking up the slack of the rubber hose so pressure does not build straight away. Expansion does continue the harder you press because of more pressure which is why rubber feels squashy.

So, yes same pressure will brake the same, but you require more pedal movement to do it.

I think that clarifies it.

Return to “80 Series”