Driveline Backlash - what needs fixing first?

Not for highway use
Here and there

Driveline Backlash - what needs fixing first?

Unread post by Not for highway use » April 30th, 2016, 5:36 am

Hi All,
My 80 has been getting worse with it's driveline backlash, esp' going into 2nd gear (Its an 1996 Petrol RV Manual). I expect after 450,000 kays that this is the be expected so I'm not surprised.

My question is: Which part of the driveline is likely to be the first place to look? Rear diff, front diff, uni's, transfer, gbox.......etc.
Cheers.
Wannabe hasbeen

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Re: Driveline Backlash

Unread post by jfoldbar » April 30th, 2016, 6:39 am

my 80 has a fair amount of backlash. but if i take off the front tailshaft and drive on the back, the backlash is gone, meaning its front diff.
theres an easy thing to try, to narrow it down.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Driveline Backlash - what needs fixing first?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 30th, 2016, 10:15 am

Many have found that they can get that 'backlash' to disappear pretty much entirely by fitting a (proper) 'Part Time 4WD' kit; so if it's not specifically 'in' the front diff, it certainly points at the front half of the AWD driveline, possibly from the transfer case on??!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Not for highway use
Here and there

Unread post by Not for highway use » May 1st, 2016, 9:24 am

Thanks Guys. So it's safe to remove the front drivshaft for a while to see if this is the culpret?

I like the concept of the part time kits and it makes sense but they are expensive (for me) and I have read plenty of mixed reviews. Nothing negative but varing levels of success and regards to backlash, fuel eco, parts wear etc.
Wannabe hasbeen

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 1st, 2016, 1:23 pm

If your 80 is an AWD with 2H, Auto or 4H with unlocked centre diff, & both 4H & 4L with locked centre diff, then yeah, it will drive OK if you remove the front driveshaft AND manually (switch or whatever) lock the centre diff!!

If you can't (choose to?) manually lock the centre diff then it won't work cos all the 'drive' will be directed thru the unlocked centre diff to the easiest end to turn, which in that event will be the end that doesn't have a driveshaft, cross axle diff, or drive wheels connected to it!!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Not for highway use
Here and there

Unread post by Not for highway use » May 1st, 2016, 6:21 pm

thanks Peter, I'll give it a go.
Wannabe hasbeen

Return to “80 Series”