How should I remove camshaft timing pulley on 1HD FT?

Dannyb
Here and there

How should I remove camshaft timing pulley on 1HD FT?

Unread post by Dannyb » March 27th, 2016, 5:17 pm

Since I am in the process of doing the timing belt and tensioner I figured I might as well do the water pump. So in order to get to the water pump I have to remove the camshaft timing pulley. I have seen this getting done in a 1HZ where you wedge the shifter on the camshaft, however the 1HD FT camshaft sits very close to some sort of bridge or injector holder and I cannot get a shifter fully on it to undo the nut (which is btw extremely tight).

I am afraid to strip the camshaft and was wondering if anyone had a better idea of how to do this. I am sure someone would have done this before as I believe the 1HD FTE would have a similar setup, right?

Dannyb
Here and there

Re: How should I remove camshaft timing pulley on 1HD FT?

Unread post by Dannyb » March 28th, 2016, 5:28 pm

Never mind, figured it out. For anyone else wanting to know:

I wrapped a section of the old timing belt around the pulley and used one of the chain wrenches around it (that you use to take drill steels apart) to hold the pulley while undoing the nut. Worked like a treat and heaps easier than taking the rocker cover off.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Re: How should I remove camshaft timing pulley on 1HD FT?

Unread post by typhoeus » March 28th, 2016, 6:10 pm

bit of lateral thinking goes a long way when solving those sort of problems! good luck with it!

Return to “80 Series”