What did you do to your 60 today?

Sixdeetoo
Been here a while

Re: What did you do to your 60 today?

Unread post by Sixdeetoo » October 7th, 2015, 6:20 pm

Maybe try putting a couple of washer type spacers on the bonnet mount before you carve up your bonnet?

It might be all of 4mm but would still pull air through the radiator and front end and allow the overflow heat to escape near the windscreen

shane_lux
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by shane_lux » October 7th, 2015, 9:16 pm

Yeah i might give that a go to see if it helps. Dont mind putting a hole in the bonnet was going to put a new 70 series style scoop on it. Im a beater by trade so doesnt bother me just dont want to creat an air pocket.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » October 9th, 2015, 10:41 am

Some overseas models have guard vents. A vent through the inner guard to the outer guard does more good for heat dispersal than a bonnet scope does.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 9th, 2015, 12:42 pm

The 'high pressure' area created up high at the back of the engine bay is often critical to getting all the air-flow that does come in the front to end up going out past the engine & batteries before being forced down & out underneath the car, where if helps keep the gearbox, trans case, diffs, & shocks cool.... lifting the back of the bonnet, fitting reverse (windscreen facing) scoops, or just fitting a scoop in the wrong place can destroy that high pressure area & thereby destroy the designed air-flow thru the engine compartment & under the car, & make all sorts of things that you wouldn't expect overheat & die prematurely!!

So if your engine bay has (or should have) a seal on the back of the engine bay that the bonnet closes down on to, DON'T lift the back of the bonnet or fit a scoop of any sort without at least trying to work out what it'll do to the air-flow thru your engine bay & then down & out UNDERNEATH the vehicle!! ;)

Ps: probably the best thing you can do to improve air-flow is seal all the gaps in the front radiator support panel, fit a full width cowl to the radiator, seal all the gaps as per a new vehicle along the side of the engine bay, & if you still need more then maybe fit those side grilles that stockhorse mentioned in the OE positions - the manufacturer has probably spent just a little more money than you on getting that air-flow right; & returning it all to as close to stock as you can is probably going to do more for your cooling system than anything else! Once that's all done & it's back to stock condition, increasing any capacity or flow will help; be it fitting a bigger capacity rad, a higher flow (not necessarily speed) water pump, a bigger capacity fan, or getting more cool air in thru the radiator! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » October 9th, 2015, 3:52 pm

I was also thinking there's a lot of million kilometre 60s out there without scoops in the bonnet.

shane_lux
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by shane_lux » October 9th, 2015, 5:29 pm

Yeah i did see those american style side air vents. I was just curious to hear from people with fron facing auch as the 70 series has?

Sixdeetoo
Been here a while

Unread post by Sixdeetoo » December 23rd, 2015, 9:54 pm

Got it ready for another holiday. :D

DGREER62
Avid Poster

Unread post by DGREER62 » September 8th, 2017, 4:11 pm

Nothing better to do so I dropped a fully worked 327 under the bonnet :twisted: . Balanced, blueprinted custom cam, fuelie heads with porting and polishing, heavy dual valve springs, turned and balanced crank. It is actually a 336 now but everyone knows a 327. A ton of work went into this motor :drool: . It will turn 7500-8000rpm all day long. Well I didn't do that today. I put it in back in January this year. All I can say is boy oh boy did it transform this beast :D . What a pleasure to drive. Dyno figures are at the crank 430 HP and 510 foot pounds :crazy: . Registered and roadworthy :cool:. A bit better than the old 3f, which by the way was still running strong when I removed it. If anyone is interested in my old fully blueprinted 3f just inbox me. Sold as a complete running engine minus the alternator.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 8th, 2017, 5:00 pm

Sounds like a fantastic engine, but I have one question I've just gotta ask.... when I dropped a much milder 327 under the bonnet of my then daily driver 60 series many years ago, I very quickly discovered that it was extremely capable of converting tyres into smoke on the black stuff & often taking much less than 2 seconds to convert previously straight & workable rear axles into almost useless cork screws - does yours do that now?? :confused:

Once I resolved that particular axle problem, I then hadta source stronger drive flanges & bolts/cone washers, then Uni joints, then drive shafts, & at about that stage it started blowing gear boxes & transfer cases, which was when I was reliably informed that the only real cure short of selling the 60 was a right foot amputation.... :eek: I did get a good price for the car tho, but it was all just a little disappointing. :(

How has your vehicle been behaving?! No traction concerns on or off road? No driveline issues so far? It sounds like it might be fun to drive, but I'm wondering if there's been any significant advance in the treatment protocols for the painful conditions that often follow similar mods?! Just asking?! :p
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

DGREER62
Avid Poster

Unread post by DGREER62 » September 8th, 2017, 9:05 pm

HAHA Yes Peter this engine has the capacity and ability to spit the entire drive line out the rear if you try to punish it. I have been "reasonably" kind to it since it went in. So far it has been really good. Offroad in second all I have to do is just lightly get into the right foot and it sends rooster tails of dirt and gravel out of both rear wheels from an LSD diff. On road I am more kind to it. But 1st gear take offs happen in the blink of an eye and you are pulling 6 grand in no time. A couple of times I needed to make a break for it and it will definitely take some km's off my Cooper Muddies and I am running 33's. No rear end noise, no slop but as I said I am a lot older than I used to be and have more respect for my rides.....LOL. Fun to drive is yes! When at the local petrol station I start it up and almost everyone looks to see what the hell that is. Coming through the gears on the road and many have no idea what it is coming up the road until they see it and then they stare. Even the local constabulary has asked me about it in a good way. He loves the thing which I am still on the fence if this is a good thing or not. It rumbles at idle. The engine has a prototype cam from the former world sprint boat champion"s 400 small block. With uncapped headers it is a flame thrower! :eek: I run a 600 holley with an air gap dual plane manifold. But I can say that every time I wind this thing up I wonder what might be about to let go! :boggle:

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 8th, 2017, 10:23 pm

Now you're just telling me all that to make me jealous!! It can be an absobloodylutely fantastc engine/vehicle match up, can't it?! :thumb: But it only 'sorta' makes me wonder why I sold it... even now, some 40 or so years later, I can recall that the reality doesn't take long to rear it's ugly head, & then just re-affirm how much of a wonderful but bloody unforgiving beast it was!! :gurn: I hope you can keep that right boot under control.... ;)

DGREER62
Avid Poster

Unread post by DGREER62 » September 10th, 2017, 9:01 am

Thanks Peter. I have to admit it is so bloody hard to resist the urge to PLANT that right foot and just see what it will do. It was a lot of hard work and expense to put this together. I don't want to bring it undone in the blink of an eye. Not to mention the Mrs giving me a "what for". HAhahahaha I like knowing I have this amount of power on tap, kind of like Insurance........Nice to know you have it but hope you don't really need it.....well sort of. If I ever get rid of the 62 (not likely) I will take the engine out and put it in a street car then have some real fun because I will be able to take full advantage of the power. As for the combo I am glad I did not go the LS route. Just something about this old school donk and the noise it makes at around 6000 rpm. Pure music!

Return to “60 Series”