What would've caused this 2F crankshaft damage?

Wayne Meyer
I'm new, be nice!

What would've caused this 2F crankshaft damage?

Unread post by Wayne Meyer » July 17th, 2018, 11:26 pm

I was trying to remove the plate behind the front end crank casing to replace that gasket. I put great torque with a gear puller as well as a crow bar to remove these gears. I did notice that the crank shaft gear did move forward a fraction of a mm. Not sure if it was the gear or the whole crank shaft. I didn't get the gears off and gave up and put it all back together again. But now when I run the engine there is a knocking sound at the bottom of the engine. Any ideas what could have caused this?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: What would've caused this 2F crankshaft damage?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 18th, 2018, 1:27 am

Welcome to the Forum Wayne. :thumb:

On a less happy note, it certainly sounds like you've either damaged or revealed existing damage on one or more of the bearings on the crankshaft! They are set up during assembly to have a minimal amount of end float, & if you noticed yours moving while you were trying to pull the gear off, you've almost certainly now got more than that minimal amount!! And that means that there's movement either in one or more of the main crankshaft bearings - not good; or the movement has misplaced one or more of the bottom end con-rod bearings - even more not good.... regardless, it does sound like it's a 'drop the sump & pull the crank out' job to fix!! :o Sorry! :(
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “60 Series”