How to know when to change 60 Series Diesel Fuel Filters

flywire
Getting to know the place

How to know when to change 60 Series Diesel Fuel Filters

Unread post by flywire » January 10th, 2016, 6:33 am

I will be doing the NW top end trip for a six month winter this year in an old '89 HJ60 with a 2H. I expect that I will get dirty fuel at times. How will I keep the fuel clean?

All I can see is one small canister fuel filter. I understand that I should carry spare filters and change them. How do you know if you need to change the filter if it has no inspection glass or drain tap? If you get a load of water I imaging you might need to clear you filter half a dozen times (after draining the fuel tank and letting it settle). Surely that is an unscrew and empty the contents process.

flywire
Getting to know the place

Re: How to know when to change 60 Series Diesel Fuel Filters

Unread post by flywire » January 10th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Red04VXE wrote:The filter light is from the water separator under the drivers seat on inside of chassis.
Good advice. I see that it can be drained from the bottom.

I imagine this is the most important filter for me to keep an eye on. Can I just drop out a cup full of fuel from here every now and then to look for water and sediment?

nilla60

Re: How to know when to change 60 Series Diesel Fuel Filters

Unread post by nilla60 » January 10th, 2016, 9:02 pm

Not even a cup, a few spoonfuls will quickly tell you how things are going. If it fills up with water, there's a float that triggers the warning light so you (in theory) don't even need to check by draining. I used to use my water separator as a liquid wood dispenser on rainy nights when I needed to get the campfire going quickly.

The main fuel filter attached to the block can be a bit difficult to change if you don't know how. They get tight over time and are surrounded by pipes that make it difficult to get a good grip on the filter. Usually look at fuel filters as a routine service item or an easy thing to swap out first if you get any symptoms that suggest fuel starvation.

I wouldn't expect getting any dirty fuel anywhere these days. Especially with the number of CRD vehicles that will be getting around these days as a canary for your old truck. More of a hazard with drums improperly stored in the open than anything.

Return to “60 Series”