Decided to keep the old girl. Am I crazy?

RASPUTIN
Been here a while

Decided to keep the old girl. Am I crazy?

Unread post by RASPUTIN » March 6th, 2015, 12:30 pm

Firstly it's been a while so hi everyone. Secondly am I really asking this question this in a 60 series forum :)?

So about 3 months ago I decided it was time for a new car and the pick was the new 70 series wagon and after a bit of umming and arring I figured bugger it i'll get the GXL. Car came to about 80k with a bit of change after all the mods were done to it.

So last week I missed the local train so had to do the 50km drive to our main interchange at Campbelltown. Cruising down the highway at the usual 90-100km/hr was ok and every time I had to over take those people I hate sitting in the right hand lane driving slower than me I had to smile as they always without exception sped up and moved over. It may have been the HID lights I have on her or the slight road rage I get when I hit the high beams and spotties, all HID which basically burns their hair off and as my car lights are the perfect height to blast straight through their rear window they really light up. Or it may have been a combination of that and my bull bar getting a bit close.

Anyway that moment I thought I really do love this car. driving home that afternoon I went though the pros and cons.

Con's
I hate the fact that it hits a hill and I have to drop gears. The ride sucks as the springs and shocks are very very old.

Pro's
I love this car. My dogs are well dogs and love fox and cow crap so having them jump into an 80k car would annoy me covered in slime. I can hit things without to much worry. A tree branch scrapping down the side doesn't make me freak out.

For me after trying to justify the new car over keeping this the old girl won out.

Now the wife swmbo, is a VERY important factor. She liked the idea of a new car. When I told her the pro's and con's she went ok BUT and gave me a list. Hers is all cosmetic. The mechanical side I can sort out.

I guess my questions are how hard is it going to be to get the old girl looking like new. As you can see not spending 80k on a new car gives me a lot of money to spend on this one. I reckon if I can get her looking and going great for under 25k I will be happy.

How hard is it going to be to replace all the rubber trim around the windows and doors and to source new side blinkers/wipers etc.

Also need to do something about the front seats. If someone has a spare drivers seat I can chuck in to the passenger side that would be great. Happy to get it recovered etc so as long as the frame etc is ok I am interested. Not interested in recaro's etc, At the moment I have my drivers seat on the passenger side and she likes it. I am pretty sure the standard passenger seat is a double which wont fit as I have a centre console. Am I wrong can you get these?

Am I nuts :).

wills
Been here a while

Re: Decided to keep the old girl. Am I crazy?

Unread post by wills » March 6th, 2015, 1:17 pm

Hey mate i like your thoughts on keeping it but IMO i would get another rig as i am after spending 27 thousand on mine i love it to bits and will be keeping it but it is old and i have soft suspension and recaro seats and is still abit to rough on longer trips in saying that it done a 5 thousand k trip at Christmas with no problems just is tiring on long driving days. i love the 60 and they are pretty bullet proof but age is getting them and parts are getting harder to get as for power mines got the 3F petrol so it isent that slow haha and is preety good on fuel to its just the age and ride personally im about to buy a 120 Prado so a massive leap in comfort from a 60 but if you do up the old 60 good luck you will love it but may end up like me 3 years down the track getting another rig and The V8 70 sound so nice but can be bad on fuel hhmm but that sound haha :drink:

Jimmy Wood
Avid Poster

Unread post by Jimmy Wood » March 6th, 2015, 2:39 pm

Definitely a dilemma, but here's my ideas:

I don't thing you'd really want to spend 25K on a 30 year old car, that will still only be worth 5 - 7 K when you sell it in a few years, or roll it and loose the lot (as insurance will only give you market value, so stuff all, if you have it insured at all).

If you like it, as I like my 60 series, spend a few K to make it nice again, maybe 2 - 3 and keep it for another 5 - 10 yrs, or sell it, and buy a 100 series or something like that for 10 - 20K and you will have all the things you want, and have more cash to spend on an appreciable asset.

I wouldn't buy a new cruiser at all. Do they really get you from A - B better than an older 100 series, which costs a fraction to buy and will hold its value far better? An 80K car today will be worth about 20 K in 5 yrs, so that's a massive loss, plus what you have to spend on it to service / repair / insurance / interest on loan etc.

You'd do better to spend that cash on paying off your mortgage if you have one, or putting it into something that wont depreciate so fast.

RASPUTIN
Been here a while

Unread post by RASPUTIN » March 6th, 2015, 3:45 pm

I'm hearing you all. Just a small point if it makes any difference. The next car or this one which ever way it goes will be kept until I retire in 17 years. Whatever I get will be worth nothing then.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » March 6th, 2015, 3:57 pm

Or spend much less than it would cost to make an old car as-new and buy her a near new small car and save the 60 for bush driving.

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » March 6th, 2015, 6:12 pm

I guess it comes down to a very personal decision.

I paid 10.5k for a factory turbo diesel 80 series with a rebuilt engine and a heap of fruit on it some time ago. I've probably spent about 10k on modifications, and a bit less than that bringing it back to scratch.

Everything asides from the gearbox has been done now, and it will do me perfectly for many years. I love the fact that I don't have to worry about it getting scratched up, or filthy.

My insurance covers it for 20k, which is probably about the correct value over here. You can opt to have agreed value which includes all of your accessories, and usually its not much more - the difference between a 15k car and 20k car for your premium is negligible

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

LZ_Pan
Avid Poster

Unread post by LZ_Pan » March 21st, 2015, 6:33 pm

Mate you're not crazy I have decided to go exactly the same way recently. I am spending few bucks on my old 60 just because there isn't anything out there that is as convenient and reliable as these old trucks. I reckon a 2-4k facelift will guarantee another 10 years for the old girl.

XJalltheway
Here and there

Unread post by XJalltheway » September 19th, 2016, 7:09 am

Good choice on keeping the 60 mate. I got my first hj60 a few months back and fell in love with it instantly. One day people will be searching all over the country and paying top dollar for a well looked after 60 just like the do for the mint condition 40's now. And I'd have no problem spending 25k on the old girl if I had that sort of money to spend, as resale vs money invested doesn't bother me. I plan on keeping her on the road till she dies.

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » September 20th, 2016, 12:11 am

Great to see you keeping your 4x4, i wish i had kept my 45 troopie years ago, have regreted selling it ever since.
Quote: RASPUTIN How hard is it going to be to replace all the rubber trim around the windows and doors and to source new side blinkers/wipers etc.
side blinkers
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-60-Se ... SwFe5X0CGI
wipers & window rubbers are also on there.

I found everything i needed for my 75 on eBay, everything i brought turned up within a few days & were of good quality, my local Toyota dealer sold most of the parts i brought & couldn't get anywhere close to matching the price to what i was paying from eBay, he was also the one who told me to look on eBay :) there are lots of new 60 parts on eBay at good prices,i always pay using my PayPal & have never had a problem receiving my purchases http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_odkw ... r&_sacat=0

barnsey

RASPUTIN
Been here a while

Unread post by RASPUTIN » March 17th, 2017, 3:29 pm

The suspension is now done. I went with The premium 2 kit from 4wd1.com

Wow what a difference. Still a boat but a boat that doesn't crash over every bump on the road and actually tries to go around a corner instead of wanting to go straight.

Turbo next. Thinking of using Turboglide. Father in-law had one fitted on a 75 series and it's great. Comes with a full exhaust in the price.

http://www.turboglide.com.au/turbo-kits ... it-fitted/

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » March 17th, 2017, 5:01 pm

For seats, are you really stuck on doing something with the factory seats? There are some really nice after market options available that are a bolt in replacement.

http://www.stratos.com.au/Page/stratos- ... mpact-seat

https://www.4wdsystems.com.au/index.php?id=125&cat=123

I'd go with the new runabout for the Boss and spend some $$ on the old girl option. I had a Sierra and a few years later a Nissan, the Suzuki for 4 and the Nissan for 8 years, I really enjoyed driving both, they weren't the fastest, best off road, or most comfortable vehicles around, but I just got a buzz from sliding behind the wheel and turning they key.

The Suzuki I let go because the boss wanted a proper car, that you could lock, had aircon... and a roof. The Nissan because it was getting on a bit and I inherited a ute which it suited my needs more at the time.

After years of ownership of those others though I knew what was good, what to keep an eye on and what would probably need attention next, I could fix them with a hammer, fencing wire and a can of WD40, but when it came down to it, I really just enjoyed driving them, the memories and the possibilities.

Right now I have a new turbo diesel dual cab, it goes well, has more than enough power, is comfortable, I don't need ear plugs and is good on fuel.
Its also totally bland, I drive it, it gets me to work, but I have no attachment to it at all. If it was written off for any reason, I think I'd take the payout, buy a cheap hatchback and finish the HJ45 I have in bits in the shed.

As for economics, the new Cruiser will lose 5K as soon as you drive it off the lot, 7K after 12 months and then it is down hill from there.

The 60 would be worth bugger all if you tried to sell or trade it and the dealer would probably just send it to the recyclers, but it already has the accessories you want.

For the value of 12 month depreciation on a new one you could get a drive line and cooling system overhaul. New suspension bushes put in and it would feel a lot better, so too with $1000 for new drivers and passenger seats. A lot of weather seals can still be bought from Toyota, often at better prices than aftermarket too.
Paint job, that would depend on if it has any cancer.

Either way, you could probably safely bank 40K of the purchase price of a new one.

The real reason you buy the Boss a new car is so that you can use it to do all the running around to rebuild this one ;)

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » March 17th, 2017, 10:16 pm

No matter what people say, I'd be wary about putting on a turbo on a 2H. For every happy camper there is another with a issues. Without a turbo, the 2H is a million kilometre motor. If your 60 is neat and the motor is not tired, it owes you nothing and if you sell it, you'll struggle to find an example in good condition nowadays. Save your pennnies and buy a new fourby if your 60 ever breaks.

As it happens, my uncle just picked up a barn door 60 with a genuine 230,000 km on the clock for a measly $700 at a deceased estate sale. It looked like crap with the rear brakes apart, hoses rotted and caked in dust and bird poo. But it has cleaned up brilliantly at minimal cost and drives hard compared to his other 60s that have over 400,000 on the clock (yes, he's accumulating a fleet of them now, not to be confused with the other uncle who has a fleet of Rangies and old Landies).

mudshark
Need to get out more

Unread post by mudshark » April 16th, 2017, 11:01 am

I recently faced the same dilemma because she wasn't getting much use as I have a ute for work even had the old girl advertised but a bit like your story while I was detailing for sale and driving around I fell back in love so just as someone offered my asking price I decided to keep her and am very happy with the decision . Sure there a bit industrial to drive but I think that's a big part of the attraction .
So I reckon you made the right decision :thumb:
Cheers Mark
1988 FJ62 LIFTED LOCKED AND BARRED UP :) and SO SICK

Return to “60 Series”