Got or want bigger tyres? Come in here!

Nemesis
Admin

Got or want bigger tyres? Come in here!

Unread post by Nemesis » September 12th, 2014, 4:00 pm

Originally started as a research topic years ago in the utes sections, the tyre topics are so popular it's time to start an new info archive in each sub section, not just for the ute people! There will be older posts/threads on tyres, rims, & what it takes to get them to fit & work earlier in the section, but hopefully over time this will become the one place in the 60 Series Tech section for this sort of info and make it easier for all to find.

What we want is a collective tried and tested database of info on what works for your model fourby. No hearsay!

So, if you have upgraded your tyre size, let us know what had to be done and whether there is any or no scrubbing. What year/model, how much suspension lift, body lift, wheel off set, guard cutting/massaging, gear changes etc? You get the drift.

Fire away and feel free to post supporting pictures!
Nemesis 3 - Turbo FZJ105 Cruiser. Live Axles & Grunt = See Ya!

Big_Waity
Part of the furniture

Re: Got or want bigger tyres? Come in here!

Unread post by Big_Waity » September 14th, 2014, 1:37 pm

1983 HJ60 with non turbo 2H and 5 speed.
2" Dobinsons lift, 1" body lift running 33x12.5R15 Maxxis Big Horns.
Very little scrubbing at full flex. Only enough that you can see the dirt cleaned off the inside guards but not enough to damage anything. I doubt I'd want any bigger with this engine but it handles them ok. I can still get 120 out of it in 4th gear with a straight bit of road. With a heavy trailer on it'll still sit on 100-110, until I hit a hill.

Rebel1985
I'm new, be nice!

Tyres for a 60's

Unread post by Rebel1985 » June 28th, 2015, 4:54 pm

Hi everyone,

My Dad and I are fixing up a 60's series and we were wondering what the best tyre to get is. This is the first time we're buying new tyres for several years. At the moment we're looking at A/T's possibly Yokohama's and tossing up between 285/75/R16 and 245/75/R16 sizes. We currently run 2 other 60's with 31x10.5/R15 and 7.50/R16 (the factory standard tyre), but aren't awfully happy with either. All 3 cruisers are 2H diesels with 5 speed manual trans from 83-85 and Dad's main concern is how the gear ratios and pick up will be affected.

I am also looking at getting 17" tyres in 1 1/2 - 2 years when these ones are worn out.

What do you run on yours and recommend? (We are on a bit of a budget and can't afford something like Mickey Thompson's)

Thanks in advance :)

cruiserluke
Here and there

Unread post by cruiserluke » June 28th, 2015, 6:05 pm

Like you my dad and I have a couple of 2H manual 60 series cruisers. We both are running 33x12.5r15 (fat 33's) his being Maxxis Buckshot Mudders and mine Bridgestone Desert Dueler M/T. Both of our sets have been real good with no punctures on the Maxxis and only one on the Bridgestone's and we run on the gravel roads in the pines quite often. Both of ours have a 2-3inch lift which obviously helps with them but before the lift with 33's they did scrub when flexing a bit. As for gearing and pick up it doesn't really change overly much (little bit at around 100 but not worth worrying about)

As for going to 17 inch rims they are less common then the 15's or 16's which in turn will make them cost more, a lot more in remote places like Birdsville where they only carry limited stock.
Hope this helps and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask

Rebel1985
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Rebel1985 » June 28th, 2015, 6:32 pm

Thanks cruiserluke - your info did help :)

One question: how noisy are your M/T's on bitumen? I'll be driving mostly on road with a bit of off road action a couple of times a month. Dad's a bit wary of M/T's for that reason.

cruiserluke
Here and there

Unread post by cruiserluke » June 29th, 2015, 7:44 pm

Yes they are more noisy than an all terrain or something similar but I don't seem to worry about it. Keeping in mind my Bridgestone's are second hand and around 10 years old been in storage and on my dads car (only been on my 60 for 8 months) so technology has probably improved since then, but in reality we've taken most of the sound deadening out because it was wet from some crossings. Plus my 60 is loud anyway. My dads 60 on the other hand with his muddies is a lot quieter in comparison which can probably be put down to it being a GXL with carpet floors and sound deadening still being there. You could minimise the sound by brushing or spraying some of that sound deadening bitumen based paint in the wheel arches that you can buy from Supercheap or somewhere. You could even go as far as replacing the sound deadener and putting some dynamat in.

jimmy66
Been here a while

Unread post by jimmy66 » July 21st, 2015, 10:07 pm

84 hj60 stock suspension no lift running 33 MTZ ON -22 Offset rims not much noise on the blackstuff 34 psi

XJalltheway
Here and there

Unread post by XJalltheway » September 19th, 2016, 7:00 am

1986 HJ60, 2HT engine. Original springs with 2" extended shackles running 33x12.50r15 Feds on 15x7.5 rims. Not sure on the offset on the rims, but they are vintage alloys, Range Rider I think. Only very minor scrub at full flex, or on the 3" exhaust when cornering hard. No scrub otherwise. Haven't noticed any power loss and 1st gear still pulls you up good and allows for a slow, controlled descent down steep hills. Fuel economy is still good considering I have a bad habit of being heavy on the go-pedal.

Return to “60 Series”