Another Swivel Hub Thread.

Darwin60
Getting to know the place

Another Swivel Hub Thread.

Unread post by Darwin60 » April 22nd, 2013, 9:45 pm

Hello.
I have been looking over the web regarding swivel rebuilds, and was bought here. So I joined!
Looking at my HJ60 today I saw that the passenger swivel hub has grease over the backing plate etc. Though there does not appear to be oil. Have not checked the Bolts on the rear side seal for tightness (was too busy looking at the sump pan finger "loose" bolts).

Anyway, I'll go ahead with the questions/facts:
1. I have never done a swivel before - and even after looking at all the threads, step by steps and a Download of the FSM - I am pretty concerned.
2. I have only a "normal" set of tools sidchrome sockets, spanners, torque wrench, hammers, hammer driven impact driver etc no Presses, no SST's and no real Garage...(in itself a problem, because the vehicle is on the street - albeit a quiet Rapid Creek Street).
3. Am a student, so can definitely not afford to pay the labour of a normal garage.
4. I saw a really good thread here, but the images are not there anymore - which would really help.

SO: Really, what should I do?
I have replaced the bearings and rotors, so I sort of know whats there, but looking at the FSM there is the whole angle malarkey. Is all this something I can do with average tools?

Finally, is there anyone up here in Darwin or surrounding area that could help or point me in the right direction? :drink:

Wotcha rekon?

Thanks!
Will.

oversite
Need to get out more

Re: Another Swivel Hub Thread.

Unread post by oversite » April 22nd, 2013, 10:43 pm

First things first jack up the front wheel and try to budge the wheel in either up and down or side to side your looking for any movement in the bearings!

If you have replaced your roters and bearings its not that much more work to do the swivel hub bearings, but doing it on the side of the road is not ideal! and remember have gloves and heaps of rags handy!

bigpig
Avid Poster

Unread post by bigpig » April 22nd, 2013, 10:48 pm

Its not a problem as long as nothing is loose, check that first. Wipe the grease off the backing plate every now and then. The seals dont work that good to not let any past. If you feel the need pump some more in through the square headed plug.

Darwin60

Unread post by Darwin60 » April 23rd, 2013, 9:15 am

They are the same - That's a good thread, and I feel good about doing it now, so about to beg borrow or steal a yard to do it in.
I'll jack it up and look for signs of movement. I would be surprised if there isn't. But even if there isn't I'll do them. I have to do tie rods and crank seal (joy). So it's all at the front end. And I budgeted for something that doesn't need doing. So Ill buy the hub kits.

Thanks everyone.

oversite
Need to get out more

Unread post by oversite » April 23rd, 2013, 8:37 pm

if the bearings arnt lose dont do them thats just a waste.

And one thing you will notice in difference between hilux and sixty is the steering arm comes of the top of the hilux swivel!

Darwin60

Unread post by Darwin60 » April 23rd, 2013, 9:42 pm

Ok - complete edit.
Have gone out and tried to Move my wheels jacked up.
No movement on one - bit of a clunk on one (more a feel than a noise) when grabbed at the top an pushed- pulled. couldn't achieve that on side to side.
I' ll take wheel off tomorrow and check the "turning load" with a fish scale, cos I am wandering if its the wheel bearing a bit loose.

Either way, Thanks for your near immediate responses and links. I'm pretty confident now about it all now.

d60

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » April 28th, 2013, 12:27 pm

I have only a "normal" set of tools sidchrome sockets, spanners, torque wrench, hammers, hammer driven impact driver etc
If and when you do get around to dong it, those tools that you have will be more than sufficient. Aside from it being a stinkingly filthy job :gurn: its pretty straight forward. Although, there are 3 parts to that job that are very important.

1. King pin bearing preload. Take note of how many shims come out with each plate (top and bottom of the swivel hub housing with 4 nuts, spring and tapered washers on each plate) and ensure they go back exactly where they came from.

2.Wheel bearing preload. Too tight, will rapidly wear out the wheel bearing. Too loose, also will rapidly wear out the wheel bearing but also damage the spindle, create a soft brake pedal, wear out tyres and generaly handle and steer like crap.

3. Dont forget to bleed all the air out of the brake fluid!! Needless to say what could happen if you forget that step :eek:

Good Luck :thumb:

oversite
Need to get out more

Unread post by oversite » April 28th, 2013, 12:40 pm

^^ hes right, also as you remove everyhting give it a good clean and lay it out in order so you know what you are up to.

Another thing I have found is that petrol makes a better cleaner then any of the expensive degreasors!

Darwin60

Unread post by Darwin60 » April 28th, 2013, 4:56 pm

Hey, thanks.
Yes - I bought a fish scale - and have been hanging various weights off it to check its accuracy. It seems ok.
Have ordered most of the parts. Have some exams coming up - (do you know how weird it is to write that?) so will get to it after that. should have a whole stockpile of bits. Including a Lokka. (just one at the moment).
Petrol. Got it.

flywire

Unread post by flywire » January 5th, 2016, 11:01 pm

Darwin60 wrote:Hello.
...Looking at my HJ60 today I saw that the passenger swivel hub has grease over the backing plate etc. Though there does not appear to be oil. ...
Mine has oil on the swivel hub on one side.
oversite wrote:First things first jack up the front wheel and try to budge the wheel in either up and down or side to side your looking for any movement in the bearings! ...
I have done that and mine are nice and tight both sides. What is the advice? I'd be keen to just replace a seal.

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » January 6th, 2016, 12:00 am

Hi Flywire, this thread is nearly 3 years old.

If you have any questions just ask them clearly and others should be able to help though/
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » January 6th, 2016, 12:23 am

Flywire, post a pic so we can see where and how much oil you have leaking

flywire

Unread post by flywire » January 6th, 2016, 5:19 pm

Images: It has been cold for a few days but on a warm day you can normally see drops of oil on the bottom of the bolts.

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » January 6th, 2016, 6:11 pm

If I were you I would get some degreesor and clean it all up and see if it comes back the next day or if it takes 6 months.

If it comes straight back then you need to do the seal, if it doesnt it might be due to the initial install
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

flywire

Unread post by flywire » January 7th, 2016, 5:46 am

I already know the answer to that one - a 500km drive down the highway and it is leaking. It has been sitting stationary for the last month while I have been working on it which has allowed things to solidify.

Are there any shortcuts getting to that seal?

Return to “60 Series”