View topic - Anyone replaced the clutch fan with Thermo fans?

Anyone replaced the clutch fan with Thermo fans?

Here and there

Anyone replaced the clutch fan with Thermo fans?

Just pulled out the radiator and water pump out of my HJ61RG and was wondering if anyone has replaced the clutch fan with a big Thermo fan?

It would give you more room at the front of the motor (get rid of the massive shroud) and possibly more power.

Has anyone done this?

Unread postby RanchoRelaxo » February 9th, 2012, 4:31 pm

Here and there

Re: Thermo fans

I have also thought about this, fit a switch to turn off in water crossings, stop breaking fan blades, have not dont it yet but is in the idea bank

Steven

Unread postby Uzz,s 60 » February 9th, 2012, 7:20 pm

Clutch fan will petunia a lot more CFM of air than any thermo fan.

Unread postby nilla60 » February 10th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Here and there

I have an interst in this area as i am keen to take "the beast" to the cape and the water hazards have me thinking.

"Clutch fan will petunia a lot more CFM of air than any thermo fan."
... why ... bigger fan? rotating faster? and is there a happy medium? Can I use a thermo which will pump enough air but also has the safety feature of being able to be turned off..... or are blinds on the front of the car a fail safe to broken clutch fans?

koobs
koobs

"Munji"
1984 60 Series, 4lt 2H Diesel.
2" lift with 32's, 8000lbs Thomas PTO winch. rocksliders, spare wheel carrier, roof rack, cargo barrier, rear airbags, snorkle, UHF and shower.

Unread postby Koobs » February 11th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Part of the furniture

at a guess, a clutch fan can move more air as it has more available power to do so. (it's driven by a 100+ kilowatt engine as opposed to a 400watt motor.
As i say though, thats just a guess and my interpretation.

In any case, i'll be sticking with the clutch fan for a while yet. One less electrical thing to worry about on the track.
And ya don't need to worry about accidentally knocking the on/off switch and cooking your motor.

As always, plenty of arguments for and against.
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewt ... mungrel%27
Photography Page: www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt, Rev it out!

Unread postby Mungrel » February 11th, 2012, 8:04 pm

Part of the furniture

Clutch fan is no problem for water crossings, a piece of string hooked to the fan and the body stops the fan rotating.Not as quick or easy as a switch but only 30 seconds work on and 30 seconds work off.

Unread postby stockhorse » February 12th, 2012, 3:33 am

Avid Poster

Yes a very good point. Also water and electrics generally do not play well together. Most thermo fans even switched off would probably not like being submerged for any length of time!

Unread postby DGREER62 » February 14th, 2012, 6:09 pm

Avid Poster

The shroud is what gives you all the cool air through the entire radiator. Remove that and you lose cooling power.

Unread postby DGREER62 » February 14th, 2012, 6:10 pm

Few more ideas on this same topic in here:
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewt ... 4&t=120804
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

Unread postby stretch4x4 » February 14th, 2012, 6:22 pm

Here and there

G'day, i have recently fitted a thermo fan and removed the original clutch fan.
The clutch fan pushes ALOT of air. The thermo i had to find pushes more :)
It is not a cheap way of getting more power because the fan costs soo many $$$!
The original clutch fan pushes 3300cfm, the 16" thermo fan drawing 16.6 amps pushes 3600cfm.
I drive the car around daily and it is fine, the fan is on nearly all the time because its not running a shround and is just mounted on the back of the radiator. tomorrow i am building a shround so the fan will be able to have a break while im driving around and 4bying.
So it can be done, OEX do the fan. it retails for $700+ (not what i paid), it does work, and does add to the power of the motor too.It needs to be done properly using shroud etc to be 100% effective.
Cheers Dan

Unread postby fun35z » February 29th, 2012, 4:57 pm

Need to get out more

Re: Anyone replaced the clutch fan with Thermo fans?

the best (cheap) thermo fan is from a falcon BA i think I found em on ebay for around $275 these are a twin thermo fan setup with shroud and all and are supposed to work fine so i've been told . so it's the setup I plan on using when I convert mine
1988 FJ62 LIFTED LOCKED AND BARRED UP :) and SO SICK

Unread postby mudshark » February 29th, 2012, 6:42 pm

Part of the furniture

I guess if the engine fan is removed, it would create quite a bit of room between the engine and the radiator....... I've been contemplating an intercooler for my 60. I have found a water to air intercooler which will fit with very little effort, but there is bugger all room in front of the radiator and AC condensor to fit another small radiator.

I removed the engine fan on my FJ55 as it wouldn't fit when I added the power steering setup. I fitted a couple of cheap thermo fans off Ebay and they work fine. The only time the fans come on is in summer when idling at traffic lights etc. They don't come on at all on the highway.
AKA Mark.
HJ60-Lock Rights, OME springs, 5125 Bilsteins, 2" BL, 33 FCII, Longfields, 4.56 gears, Ironman winch, custom sliders.
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17712
1976 FJ55 - Stocko, except for Bilstein Shocks & power steering
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewt ... hilit=fj55
1975 FJ55 - Unregistered project!

Unread postby Sixtys Guy » March 1st, 2012, 7:11 am

Part of the furniture

Not much from factory in the way of under bonnet gear that for me at least needs replacing/changing.
My 2H doesnt get hot at all and shes all factory under the hood apart from extractors.
Toyota got it right the first time in regards to the 60, so if you dont really need thermos why bother?
Just my 2 cents
cheers
EARLY LANDCRUISER SPARES is on FACEBOOK

Unread postby TUFF HJ60 » March 1st, 2012, 8:52 am

Here and there

Thermo fans are the way to go, i have 1 single 12 inch thermo fan and the temp stays just under the quarter mark. this system is working pefectly and is a lot less stress on the motor not having to operate the clutch fan.
I have a twin thermo fan with shroud and a brand new terrain taimer radiator sitting in the shed to be put to gether and installed just need the time to do it. after this it will never get 2 hot all controled by a switch in the cab. so can be turned off at high speeds and water crossing

Unread postby daniel1985 » April 28th, 2012, 10:27 pm

Been here a while

i had a 10 inch and a 16 inch thermo fans on mine and i still had overheating problems when towing and/or going up mountain ranges around cairns. so i got a secondhand fan, clutch and shroud from a wrecker and all my problems went away, even now with a new motor and turbo kit i still have the same cooling system and no problems at all, like TUFF HJ60 said "toyota got it right the first time"
82 60series "G", chopped, 315/75r16 MT mtz on 10 inch sunnys
new 2H, denco turbo, front mount intercooled, 13 PSI boost,
beaudesert 3" mandrel bent, 3"suspension custom leaf packs,
superior extended shackles and hoops, air on board system.

Unread postby kevinmealing60 » April 30th, 2012, 10:34 am

Return to 60 Series