What parts needed for 40 Series Power Steering

z3ye
I'm new, be nice!

What parts needed for 40 Series Power Steering

Unread post by z3ye » August 8th, 2014, 9:54 pm

Hey,
I've been doing the search query's in all the forums and brought some gear in converting my 40 series into 60 powersteering.
Here's what I got so far:
60 Box
60 Pump
75 column
75 collapsible Shaft

1.) Now even thou I have the 75 column I am really keen on keeping the 40 column. I recently found on this forum that an 80 series rag joint will bolt onto the end of my 40 column with a spline insert on the other end? So I will be able to go 40 column - 80 rag joint - 75 intermediate shaft - 60 Box - 75 Tie Rod - 40 Diff ? If thats not correct what other mods/parts should I research before starting.

Also first post, keen on taking some pictures and probably looking for more info from this community going forward.

Thanks in advance

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Re: What parts needed for 40 Series Power Steering

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » August 8th, 2014, 10:55 pm

You need the right pump for your engine, so if you have a 2H you need a pump from a 2H 60 series, different iof you have a B or F series engine.

You will also need the power steering cooler, and some hydrolic lines, dont bother trying to use the old ones, just get new ones made.

As for the steering shaft and the rag joint, this depends on if you are going to get it engineered (legal requirement but often not done) Most engineers wont sign of on any modified shafts/welded rag joints. So your only option is the steering shaft of a LJ55 series "PIG" landcruiser. They bolt in and work fine.

Then you may need a new pitmen arm depending on the lift kit you are running.

Goodluck and post a few photos of your rig.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

z3ye
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by z3ye » August 9th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Hey Rodgers,
Thanks for the reply mate. I'm bolting in a 12HT from a donor 60 where I sourced a lot of my parts from.. I'm really hoping to make it legal as I'll be seeing an engineer with the swap anyway. So only way to do it is to find the rare 55 steering column? I'm away from my rig at the moment with no pics but I've got a YouTube vid..
http://youtu.be/yHLJfEn6zno
327 engine and 5 sp for sale $2,500

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 9th, 2014, 1:21 pm

Don't wait until you get to the motor swap stage to talk to an engineer - do it NOW, before you go much further on the power steering upgrade!! If you get the engineer involved from before you start doing anything on the stock vehicle, it tends to make it cheaper & easier for the entire job, and it usually means that you don't hafta change/undo anything that you've already done!! Who knows, if you keep that 40 Series column & do all the rest of the pwr Steer conversion/upgrade, you might find that you hafta change that & a few other things just to fit the motor in and get it to comply when it gets to that stage (sure, it might not be that either, but you'd be surprised at some of the things that end up stopping approval or needing undo-ing and re-doing before approval just cos people didn't talk to the engineer BEFORE doing ANYTHING!!!)

So find an engineer you can work with NOW, & talk to them about everything you want to do, including any tyre size or rim offset changes & the pwr steer upgrade, BEFORE you do anything that might possibly need un-doing later on! You'll probably kick yourself later on if you don't!! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

z3ye
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by z3ye » August 9th, 2014, 2:09 pm

Great advice, looks like ill be doing the rounds monday looking for an engineer. I'm confident I won't have any problems with the engine swap since i'm using all toyota mounts and brackets. HJ47 engine brackets to the stock 40 chassis positions. I've got the 75 column that I've just read up on possible fitting it in there. Has anyone got knowledge on fitting a 75 column to a 40 dash? Is it pretty straight forward?
I'm going to bolt the engine in to check the pwr steer before its permanent.
Thans for your help

Robertus
Been here a while

Unread post by Robertus » November 17th, 2014, 8:54 pm

All you need are these parts, no welding necessary, you keep your 40 steering column, just need an engineering shop to place a spline on the base of the 40 series shaft.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kevlux
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Kevlux » March 18th, 2015, 1:14 pm

Hey Robertus.
I just wanted to check the part list needed in your post. So I'd need an 80 collapsible shaft and rag joint. Then the 75 series main shaft and intermediate shaft to get the uni joints. Then on the end of your 80 shaft, is that two half unis put together?? Or half an 80 and the other half a 75.....

sorry if this sounds confusing...

Return to “40/55 Series”