FJ45 with a 308; the exhaust's a dog's breakfast

tarenja
Here and there

FJ45 with a 308; the exhaust's a dog's breakfast

Unread post by tarenja » January 5th, 2014, 9:20 pm

I've picked up a pretty rough FJ45 tray with a 308 fitted. I'm making some progress sorting out issues and am now looking at the exhaust. It's an absolute (home made) dog's breakfast and won't come close to being roadworthy. I'm wondering what's the best way to go. Has anyone out there got a similar vehicle and got a good solution. I was wondering about fitting a set of extractors as a start but I don't know if they'll get me out of the engine bay without fouling on anything. I'm a miserable bugger so I won't be taking it to an exhaust shop and saying fix it. Any pics of a solution would be gratefully received. Tony.

4xFourex
Been here a while

Re: FJ45 with a 308; the exhaust's a dog's breakfast

Unread post by 4xFourex » January 6th, 2014, 12:42 pm

G'day Tony,

Mate I've got a 253 in my 74 ute. It still has the stock manifold, but from what I've measured and looked at, a set of extractors should fit, or may require minimal modifications (lengthening).

Let me know how you go though, it's on my list of plans to fit a set, and a new exhaust system
So many weekends, so many tracks...so little fuel!

The Black Mistress - 1974 Bitsa Landruiser fj45 ute: Holden 253 V8, Toyota 60s axles front and back, Mazda seats, Mistubishi seat belts, Ford thermo fans (almost installed). more to come...

tarenja
Here and there

Unread post by tarenja » January 7th, 2014, 9:20 am

No worries. I noticed you've got Ford fans. Another cock up in mine but I've just about got it sorted now. The previous owner had basically left them leaning against the radiator with a couple of plates holding them. They're a good setup. I was wondering about 60 series axles (mine has a disk brake front end already); did you fit them? How are the mazda seats.

4xFourex
Been here a while

Unread post by 4xFourex » January 7th, 2014, 9:34 am

Yeah, I really need to update that info!
Ford fan wasn't sucking enough air, so added a Kia K2700 push fan. Didn't help at all.
I've now put in an ebay jobbie, 3000cfm (apparently). That made it a lot better, but still got hot on the beach. So I built a shroud. Still need to test it.

The diffs are a contentious issue. Everyone reckons they exceed the maximum wheel track increase, but I managed to get them mod plated. So who knows what's legal. Bit of advice though, install power steering before you make your wheel track wider! I now have a 16m turning circle, that's full lock in an empty carpark!

But it's not a hard job. Cut off spring mounts, move them in, and re weld. I'd use a plasma to cut them off next time, angle grinder and hacksaw made a mess of it. But not a big job. Just the 100mm wheel track increase.

You on the facebook page mate?

The Black Mistress - 1974 Bitsa Landruiser fj45 ute: Holden 253 V8, Toyota 60s axles front and back, Mazda seats, Mistubishi seat belts, Ford thermo fans (almost installed). more to come...

tarenja
Here and there

Unread post by tarenja » January 8th, 2014, 12:03 pm

Not sure I wanted to hear that about the fans. I've only used mine while it's idling in the shed. seems to work ok for that. What sort of fans are Jobbie? I looked them up on eBay but no listing.
I don't use Facebook.
Too dumb.

4xFourex
Been here a while

Unread post by 4xFourex » January 9th, 2014, 10:06 am

Nah, jobbie's just a word, cheap ebay unit if you like. No name brand, but seems to be ok.
It is a lot better than the old fan though, and not too expensive if I need to replace it. Meant to be used on hotrods and burnout cars, so sucks a fair bit of air.

Haha no worries. If you ever get on it, there's a 40 series owners page, reckon it's up to about 2500 people now, all over Aus. Great place to get info, and someones always done it before you

tarenja
Here and there

Unread post by tarenja » January 9th, 2014, 12:06 pm

Sounds good. On this foum or another one?

4xFourex
Been here a while

Unread post by 4xFourex » January 9th, 2014, 12:54 pm

No, on facebook. That's why I was asking.

Or ih8mud if all else fails

croozy
Need to get out more

Unread post by croozy » January 9th, 2014, 8:57 pm

tarenja, If you have a Facey account, PM me your profile link & I will add you, I'm an admin. We had to make it secret because we were getting idiots spamming the hell out of it, so you wont find it.
I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.

HAVE A GANDA AT MY SHED
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/gallery/21984-crikey

ymy-88u
Avid Poster

Unread post by ymy-88u » January 11th, 2014, 5:11 am

I reakon croozys name would be a known one on there then, im on there asking for advice everyday, he'd be sick of me by now haha
V8 79 Series (175rwkw) & HJ47 W2A intercooled & turbo (75rwkw) both methanol injected

4xFourex
Been here a while

Unread post by 4xFourex » January 13th, 2014, 12:03 pm

Now just a minute croozy, I may be spamming it with 10,000 stupid questions a day, but that makes me no idiot!
Haha no, I'm joking, I only ask about 3 questions a day. Making it secret explains a lot...

croozy
Need to get out more

Unread post by croozy » January 15th, 2014, 5:04 pm

Stupid questions are the norm on there. We all take the piss out of each other, but help each other out. The spamming that was getting out of hand was for crap like sunnies, shoes & believe it or not, monkeys.
I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.

HAVE A GANDA AT MY SHED
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/gallery/21984-crikey

tarenja
Here and there

Unread post by tarenja » January 16th, 2014, 7:23 pm

I'm going to my daughter's this weekend. I'll get her to set me up on Facebook.

4xFourex
Been here a while

Unread post by 4xFourex » January 20th, 2014, 4:03 pm

Haha really? I never saw any ad's for monkeys. Pity, I really wanted one, even better if I can get it at a bargain price off facebook from some dude in Bangladesh...

Return to “40/55 Series”