View topic - 2006 Ford Courier

2006 Ford Courier

I'm new, be nice!

2006 Ford Courier

Hi all I just bought a 2006 turbo diesel ford courier, I am hoping that it is ok it has done 60,000 klms anyone had any problems with these that I should keep an eye out for.

Unread postby shagy » February 6th, 2009, 3:18 pm

Been here a while

They are an under rated 4x4. it goes like this:

1. dont tow anything over 600kgs in 5th as a rule of thumb, esspecially if it whines in that gear.

2. dont let it overheat, keep up the maintenance on the cooling system paying attention to the viscous hub for the fan.

3. some have camber issues which CAN be fixed with shims that you can buy from mazda or ford.

their main failure is with their gearboxes. dont get me wrong, they are a strong box. they have solid thick gearsets in them.(1st - 4th) their problem is in their 5th gear design. The 5th gear hardening itself is not hard enough for good wear properties and the teeth are too fine. what happens is when worked hard towing, they wear through the hardening into the steel underneath and then the tooth is weakend and then BANG!. They also sometimes flog out or strip the spline on the end of the mainshaft that the 5th and reverse hub are on, and also wear out the spigot bearing between the input and mainshaft. this can be diagnosed by a crunch when changing from 2nd to 3rd gear and in extreme cases they will whine in 1st to 3rd gradually getting louder as you go through to 3rd but by this time its too late to save it usually and you have probably broken the 3rd 4th hub. the spigot bearing usually goes because your spigot bearing in your flywheel is non existant. if the clutch all of a sudden slips or wont let you change gears, DRIVE IT STRAIGHT HOME AND FIX IT! you may save a gearbox. Also, transfer case chains stretch with hard 4x4ing.

I hope i havnt alarmed you with the gearbox talk hahaha. dont stress, i have heard of these boxes doing 450000ks with an easy life of no towing. i just thought i would help you as much as i can as i have done just about anything possible in reguards to fixing a bravo. I own one and it had a very hard life on a farm in Roma before i got it and i am also the poor bastard that has spent thousands fixing it. its all good now though. i like my car........when it goes. my old hilux was worse than the bravo in reguards to **** breaking all the time. haha

good luck!

Unread postby tismemat » March 10th, 2009, 4:50 pm

Part of the furniture

I bought a 06 Courier a couple of months back. I read all about the towing in 5th gear thing, although I never tow in 5th in any vehicle anyway. 100kph in 4th is fine.
AKA Mark.
HJ60-Lock Rights, OME springs, 5125 Bilsteins, 2" BL, 33 FCII, Longfields, 4.56 gears, Ironman winch, custom sliders.
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17712
1976 FJ55 - Stocko, except for Bilstein Shocks & power steering
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewt ... hilit=fj55
1975 FJ55 - Unregistered project!

Unread postby Sixtys Guy » March 10th, 2009, 7:37 pm

Been here a while

Yeah, its a good idea to be safe and just not tow in 5th at all. and that goes for any car.

Unread postby tismemat » March 12th, 2009, 6:10 pm

Been here a while

A Good Choice

shagy wrote:Hi all I just bought a 2006 turbo diesel ford courier, I am hoping that it is ok it has done 60,000 klms anyone had any problems with these that I should keep an eye out for.

Hey Shaggy, I bought an 05 Extra Cab TD (38,000KM) last year and am over the moon with it. VERY underated as mentioned. A good honest performer that appears to be tough and very reliable. I am not aware of any issues with this model- I believe the gearbox problem may be fixed on the 04 onwards model- could be wrong though!

I am wondering if the 05/06 Couriers sit higher than the previous series? Mine is standard suspension yet it seems to sit pretty high and looks higher than the earlier models. I am doubting the need for higher springs...but the standard shocks are...errr...shocking!

I am just starting to get some time to play with the car and working out how to get the most out of it. It seems the motor has good potential to gain some extra horses...snorkel, exhaust and a few other cheap simple mods are on the cards.

Get outthere and enjoy it! You will be surprosed how well they go and you can surprise some other (generally poorly driven) fourbies.

Chillpepperz

Unread postby chillipepperz » March 12th, 2009, 7:37 pm

Return to Courier / Raider