PE Courier with a miss and white smoke - any ideas?

CentipedeCourier
I'm new, be nice!

PE Courier with a miss and white smoke - any ideas?

Unread post by CentipedeCourier » March 6th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Hi all, I’m having a problem with my 2000 Courier 2.5td. I cracked the head before Christmas due to a dodgy radiator hose. I have almost done a complete rebuild. But now it seems to have a slight miss at idle and blows white smoke until engine is warmed right up.

It has had a New head, honed out the bores, new pistons, rings, and bottom end bearings. All gaskets and hoses were replaced throughout the whole car. Had my injector pump replaced, new set of injectors, new primer pump, glow plugs, fuel filter, air filter, full turbo and inter cooler clean. Any ideas would be really appreciated?
Thank you in advance.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: PE Courier with a miss and white smoke - any ideas?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 6th, 2018, 10:07 pm

White smoke on an otherwise running well diesel generally means you are getting water/coolant into at least one cylinder.... :o
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

CentipedeCourier
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by CentipedeCourier » March 7th, 2018, 6:57 am

I’ve pulled out the injectors and glow plugs out and wound it over for a while and nothing comes out. Haven’t lost any coolant and the smoke has a very strong diesel smell. When I cracked the head there was a lot of oil through the intercooler and turbo lines

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 7th, 2018, 8:14 am

Just tossing around an idea or two here: - If the white smoke is excessive & unburnt diesel, and it continues puffing smoke until everything warms up, maybe you are looking at a glow circuit that isn't working long enough/hot enough, or maybe a glow plug or two not heating up??.... that'd sorta explain the apparent 'miss' at idle too, altho you mentioned that you'd fitted new glow plugs which would generally suggest otherwise. Still, have you checked them to make sure they all function AND the glow circuit/glow timing is lasting until the engine reaches operating temp?? :confused:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

CentipedeCourier
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by CentipedeCourier » March 7th, 2018, 12:37 pm

Cheers for the quick reply. I have checked the glow plugs and they heat up. They glow plugs heat up prior to start but as soon as it fires up the power is off to them. Should the voltage come back up to 12v and slowly drop as the engine heats. Read that somewhere. But wasn’t about couriers

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 7th, 2018, 1:12 pm

Glow plugs generally need to remain on at some level until the engine reaches operating temp, some time after initial start up.... or your diesel may run roughly & pump unburnt fuel out the exhaust until operating temp is reached!! :o

Sounds like your glow control is giving you the initial heat up, but maybe not maintaining any voltage for the rest of the necessary time.... :(

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » March 7th, 2018, 8:51 pm

G'day
The only time I've seen the white smoke ( in the rear vision mirror) and stepped out to open the gate and got a snot full of unburnt diesel was down to a failing battery.
Worth a try if it starts like a champ warm during the daylight hours but the problem presents if left for a while to cool or early mornings.
RACQ NRMA etc & ask for a free check.
Regards

CentipedeCourier
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by CentipedeCourier » April 14th, 2018, 1:10 pm

So far every check I have done turns up no further clues on the miss or white smoke.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if the injector pump timing could be out and would that be the reason. Have seen a few posts on the forum with same issues but on Hiluxs and all have turned out to be ip timing issues.

Just thought I’d ask everyone opinion before spending a few hundred on giving it a try. Cheers

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 14th, 2018, 1:50 pm

The IP timing can't really change once it's been set & the pump secured properly, so unless this has been a problem since you had the IP replaced, it's not all that likely to have changed since then.... well, not unless someone has played with it?!? It was set properly when the IP was re-installed wasn't it?? You or someone else haven't fiddled with it, or with the 'clocking' of the IP on the block mounts, have you?!? Grabbing at straws here, but are the IP mounting bolts tight? Could anyone have bent or twisted the IP mount??! Did you check to see if the Glow Control Circuit is supplying voltage to the glow plugs for some minutes after starting?!? Are they actually heating to temp & holding some temp for all that time AFTER the engine has actually started?? Cos fixing a failed or low voltage glow control circuit is often the key to sorting unburnt diesel showing as white smoke when the engine is cold & not when it's warmed already..... Or maybe you need to go right back to doing a compression check & testing for any compression 'leak down' occurring over time after tdc compression is reached - ie, checking to make sure the head gasket job was & still is good &/or the head isn't cracked... :(

IP timing &/or pump failure is certainly an option, but you'd sorta hope that given it's a relatively new pump & installation, the likelihood of it being that is so far down the possibilities & probabilities list it's not that; AND it's such a significant cost to do anything with the guts of the pump itself, you REALLY want to make sure everything else is fine before you get stuck into the IP again! :rolleyes:

CentipedeCourier
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by CentipedeCourier » April 16th, 2018, 6:42 pm

It’s in having the timing done atm. It turns out that it was never set when the ip was installed again so fingers crossed. The people at the work shop took one look and said that would explain the miss and smoke.

Glow circuit was all rechecked and stays on after starting until the temp gauge rises above the cold mark.

Compression and leak down checks perfect.

I’ll post an update when I pick the Ute back up tomorrow

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 16th, 2018, 7:21 pm

CentipedeCourier wrote:
April 16th, 2018, 6:42 pm
It’s in having the timing done atm. It turns out that it was never set when the ip was installed again so fingers crossed. The people at the work shop took one look and said that would explain the miss and smoke........
That'd certainly explain it!! :boggle: I just hope it hasn't done any damage to anything in there thru running like that or with the fuel injection level being that wrong!! :petrified:

I hope they sort it for you & that it turns out good! At least these diesel engines are tough, and everything else should be sorted now; so get the timing fixed and with any luck, you'll be driving smooooth as! :D

Good Luck! ;)

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » April 16th, 2018, 9:57 pm

G'day CentipedeCourier
Great to hear you're on your way to sorting things out. Still 110000 away from the next timing belt change myself, so I'll be investing in the paint pen and checking all my marks twice when I get there.

CentipedeCourier
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by CentipedeCourier » April 17th, 2018, 5:43 pm

Turns out up timing was out and when it was set idled perfectly. But minutes later was back out again. Apparently the slipper gear was so worn that it will never stay right. So waiting for parts now. Fingers crossed.

Ps. Would have thought that would have been picked up when I had the pump recond. Would have been lucky to have been driven over 50kms since

CentipedeCourier
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by CentipedeCourier » April 17th, 2018, 5:51 pm

Hey cbd,

You shouldn't have to worry about all this as long as you don’t remove your IP. That’s where mine all started to go wrong.

CentipedeCourier
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by CentipedeCourier » April 26th, 2018, 8:43 pm

Thanks for everyone’s input. Picked up Ute this arvo after waiting for a week for the part to arrive to the workshop. Bit of a joke, as it came from 2 suburbs away. But everything is all sweet now, runs brilliantly. All the drama for a worn key way slot that meant the timing was always less than half a tooth out. I would never have even thought of that.

Return to “Courier / Raider”