Replacing 04 courier timing belt - what's involved?

nifty nev
Avid Poster

Replacing 04 courier timing belt - what's involved?

Unread post by nifty nev » November 24th, 2017, 1:36 pm

ok whats involved? bought a workshop manual which came on a disc, disappointed about that but moving on, in the section it shows me to remove the rocker cover, but have read thats not required. have been told its a half hr job max to do the belt, im cautious on that idea, but you never know.
any help is much appreciated

hoyks
Avid Poster

Re: Replacing 04 courier timing belt - what's involved?

Unread post by hoyks » November 25th, 2017, 2:11 pm

I don't think it is required from memory. The manual I have shows the exploded view of the top/front on the engine and the rocker cover off, but I think it is just to cover 2 subjects, rather than just the belt.

1.Turn the crankshaft clockwise and align the timing marks as shown.
Caution; Overtensioning of the timing belt can cause breakage of the belt and the camshaft.
2.Verify that the injection pump pully attaching bolts and nuts are tightened to the specified torque. This must be done to prevent overtensioning of the timing belt after it has been installed.
3.Install the timing belt.
4.Install the tensioner, tensioner spring, and the lock bolt.
5.Turn the crankshaft clockwise twice, and align the timing marks. If they are not aligned, remove the timing belt and repeat from Timing Belt Assembly Note step 1.
6.Loosen the tensioner lock bolt to apply tension to the belt. Do not apply tension other than that of the tensioner spring.
7.Tighten the tensioner lock bolt. Be sure the tensioner does not move together with the bolt rotation.
8.Turn the crankshaft clockwise twice, and check the timing belt deflection as shown. If it is incorrect, repeat from Tensioner, Tensioner Spring Disassembly.

No mention of the rocker cover.
But if you are doing all that work, its probably worthwhile checking the valve clearances anyway.

nifty nev
Avid Poster

Re: Replacing 04 courier timing belt - what's involved?

Unread post by nifty nev » November 26th, 2017, 11:15 am

Cheers mate. Will be tackling it tomorrow. Very much appreciated

Return to “Courier / Raider”