Bravo wont turn over

gros21
Been here a while

Bravo wont turn over

Unread post by gros21 » April 19th, 2017, 7:48 am

MY mazda bravo wont turn over it has the 2.5TD engine new batt there is no clicking or what ever, Ive only just got it so i dont really know the history.

Is there any fuse or general issue it could be or it just going to be starter.

Cheers

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: Bravo wont turn over

Unread post by mydmax » April 19th, 2017, 8:43 am

If nothing else has changed I would check the cleanliness of the battery terminals.

Are there lights on the dash when key is on? If not the battery supply must be not happening.

Have you checked the battery has charge/is charged with a light or meter.

gros21
Been here a while

Unread post by gros21 » April 19th, 2017, 8:57 am

ok google tell me it is a issue with the ignition switch, how do i wire in a bypass switch, also does it need to be load rated ect.

is it the key barrel that wears out or white/brown switch that must be under teh dash someware

gros21
Been here a while

Unread post by gros21 » April 19th, 2017, 9:05 am

Battery is brand new (bought it after it was sitting for 6 months) battery on the terminals is 12v+ (to prove battery has a good connection) (im a lecky and have fluke meter in the car and was trying to nut out winch dash buttons) started PERFECT this morning drove it 4km turned it off relised i parked crooked and decided to move it over.

All lights came up on dash as per normal
Not a click or even sound from engine bay hence why i thought it might of been a fuse.

Apparently these bravos suffer from a issue were the key wont activate a switch or some thing but the key still engages the barrel and hence will turn on.

Ill throw in a switch or permently short that contact (long as its only active when key is turned) (yes that means if you the barrel car will start)

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » April 19th, 2017, 5:13 pm

Do you turn the key until it hits the stops?
With mine if you just turned it past run and into start it would work fine. Turning it hard you skip past the contacts before any of the solenoids could energise and it wouldn't do anything.

After a while it would stick in start and not spring back to run. If you weren't onto it the starter would stay spinning, which isn't good. While I was away the Mrs loaned it out and they melted the starter motor. Blobs of molten copper in the case and everything!

A new barrel wasn't much, around $80 from memory. The starter motor significantly more.

Return to “Courier / Raider”