Got an Xrox bar on my Courier - how to remove ugly bodywork?

Pittsie
I'm new, be nice!

Got an Xrox bar on my Courier - how to remove ugly bodywork?

Unread post by Pittsie » May 25th, 2016, 4:46 pm

Hey all,
Recently installed an Xrox bar onto my courier amongst other mods and couldn't be happier with it. However as most will know who own an early Ranger/Courier there is ugly bodywork that is visible behind the bar, and is usually cut out purely for aesthetic reasons.
So I was wondering does anyone know of someone in/very close to the ACT region that knows how to remove it? I am tempted to give it a go myself with a recipro but would probably make it look pretty haggard. Cheers.

Here is a link to the image seeing as to post em here they have to be lower res.

hoyks
Avid Poster

Re: Got an Xrox bar on my Courier - how to remove ugly bodyw

Unread post by hoyks » May 25th, 2016, 6:28 pm

I'd probably do it with a angle grinder with a cut off disc. If you draw the line with a straight edge, then armed with a 110mm grinder and a hand full of 1mm cut off discs, you should be able to follow it neatly enough. Clean off the burrs with a file or a flap disc and touch it up with chassis black or something similar and it will look better than it does now.

I'd also take the wheel off before getting stuck in, it will give you more room to work and might give easier access to the bits that need trimming.

A mate of mine didn't and a grinder cuts through tyres really quickly by all accounts.

Pittsie
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Pittsie » May 25th, 2016, 7:39 pm

Cheers for the reply Hoyks.

Was thinking my angle grinder would work too, but was slightly concerned that they produce significantly more heat than a recipro, but shouldn't start any fires if I go slow lol.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 25th, 2016, 8:03 pm

Visit any one of the local panel beaters & ask them about trimming the excess panel/sheet metal off with an air driven metal nibbler or cut-off shears. If it was my car, I certainly wouldn't be using a cut off wheel on an angle grinder to trim that lot, too much risk of botching it; & a reciprocating saw would leave you with a fair bit of clean up!!

Air driven nibblers or shears are made to do exactly this sort of stuff, do it quickly, cleanly, & extremely accurately with a steady hand guiding them, & most panel beaters have them handy. I guess if you thought you'd have some on going panel or guard trimming needs, then investing in either might be a good idea (put 'metal nibbler' into google) just so long as you don't also hafta commit to installing shop air too!! Altho IIRC, you can also buy 'hand nibblers' for about $40, but they are pretty hard going on your hands if you hafta trim more than a few inches!! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Courier / Raider”