DangerPE
Here and there

What is this air filter box pipework?

Unread post by DangerPE » March 28th, 2016, 10:18 pm

Guys,

What is this box in the pipe work.
IMG_5171.JPG
IMG_5172.JPG
Anyone got an old one lying around in WA? mines got a crack on the mount point.
can you remove and just put a flexy pipe to the guard.

any other suggestions?

thanks
Kaine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Courier 2.5 turbo
2005 Patrol 4.2TD

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: What is this air filter box pipework?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 29th, 2016, 8:11 am

Those boxes & similar large protrusions in air induction pipework are usually there to 'tune' the airflow into the engine & tend to fairly significantly enhance the power & torque curves!!

I haven't taken one of them out of your particular model vehicle, but I've played with a few in my time, and most are pretty important if you want to maintain the existing power/torque output at anything like it is - generally, it's a case of 'remove them at your peril!!'

Of course, if you are porting & polishing the head, increasing valve sizes, & otherwise significantly changing/improving the charge air induction & you have the time & $$ to do a few runs on a dyno, you might be able to improve on both torque & power without that 'box', but in my experience, just fitting a snorkel &/or a bit of flexy pipe in its place usually rips the guts out of both, altho sometimes there may be a slight improvement at the top end if you do - and IF you can get it up there due to the massive drop that happens mid range!! :eek:

The manufacturer put it there, usually after spending millions of $$ on tuning & getting 'the best' balance of torque, power, & fuel economy across the broadest range of conditions that they could.... unless you have the time & $$ to do similar, you aren't likely to improve on that across the board, altho you might be able to improve one little bit under some very specific conditions if you are lucky, and that will almost certainly be at the cost of significant drops elsewhere/under other conditions.

I'm sorry, but the days of making big gains anywhere just by changing the air flow (short of forced induction) into the engine are pretty much gone, & with EFI & computers, those convoluted intake tracts & boxes tend to be there for a reason. So if you've got a crack or leak in the plastic tubing; tape it up, seal it with silicone, or get a new/replacement, or you'll be losing power/torque & response somewhere in the rev range, & probably fuel economy too!! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

DangerPE
Here and there

Unread post by DangerPE » March 29th, 2016, 4:33 pm

thanks mate,

yep been looking for a replacement. However finding one is fairly difficult locally. Or not for ridiculous money from a wrecker.
2002 Courier 2.5 turbo
2005 Patrol 4.2TD

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » March 29th, 2016, 4:58 pm

Peter Aawen wrote:....tend to fairly significantly enhance the power & torque curves!!
It's a PE courier.... They don't have power or torque. :lol:

My PD courier had one in the intake system. I don't think it did much as it was slightly flexible, but not enough to allow any significant change in the volume of air being sucked into the engine. It was also at basically atmospheric pressure (or slightly lower), so the theory of it being there to hold air volume has even less merit.

Changes to the intake length can significantly alter the power and when it comes on, so you have to be careful there. But the PD and PE have a very similar intake up to the turbo, then the PE has another 5 foot of ducting and intercooler.

Personally, I'd pull the box off, tape up the hole and take it for a drive to see how it goes. If it makes no difference, then upgrade to a silicone pipe.
That section of ducting on mine went really brittle and started to crack, so was more self-amalgamating tape and silicone than factory rubber when I sold it.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » March 29th, 2016, 6:38 pm

4 cylinder hiluxes have a similar box on the intake tube. it hangs above the exhaust, thereby heating up the air going into the motor - good maybe for very cold climates. I replaced mine with a straight thru piece of pipe, which cools the air, and increased the power and economy slightly. I believe the box is to dampen pulsations in the intake, making it a bit quieter, but I couldn't really notice a difference in noise.

DangerPE
Here and there

Unread post by DangerPE » March 30th, 2016, 7:23 pm

cant notice the difference even when its off completely!!

Does a snorkel fit up to the guard side of this pipework, or go straight into the air box?
that would be another option if it does. Just get a snorkel fitted and remove the pipe altogether.
2002 Courier 2.5 turbo
2005 Patrol 4.2TD

Return to “Courier / Raider”