'98 Ford Courier Air Con - fan won't work on low speeds?

peenax
I'm new, be nice!

'98 Ford Courier Air Con - fan won't work on low speeds?

Unread post by peenax » January 30th, 2016, 7:54 am

When i put the fan setting onto 1 the aircon turns on but the fan doesnt. But when i turn it up onto 2, 3 or 4 the aircon clutch disengages (aircon turns off) and the fan turns on. Been at this problem for a week and can't seem to find any forum or person thats had this problem haha. Hope you guys can help!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: '98 Ford Courier Air Con - fan won't work on low speeds?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 30th, 2016, 9:32 am

Hi peenax, welcome to the Forum. Sounds like you've burnt out the low speed resistor on the fan control & it might've damaged the air-con switch along the way!!

There is generally a small plug fitted somewhere in the air ducts that has a resistor coil hanging into the air-flow on it for each (low) fan speed; & a good auto elec should be able to remove that & maybe even fix the one coil (for fan speed one) that's burnt out - probably sorting the air con switching issue at the same time. If they can't fix the coil, then it'll be a 'remove & replace' that plug job before the even get to sorting the air con switch issue, possibly a bit expensive if you go for an OE new part & maybe somewhat cheaper if you source a part from a wrecker, but then you will probably find a used part already has 'lesser life' remaining on the low speed resistor so it could be a false economy.

Regardless, if you aren't already pretty handy with a multi-meter & a fine tip soldering iron, this is gonna be a job for an auto elec, where the issue might be finding someone who's prepared to even look at repairing the part first rather than immediately going down the 'just start replacing bits & keep on until everything works properly again' method of diagnosis & repair!! :(

Anyhow, good luck with it all! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

peenax
I'm new, be nice!

Re: '98 Ford Courier Air Con - fan won't work on low speeds?

Unread post by peenax » January 30th, 2016, 3:59 pm

Thanks mate! I'll give it a geeze

Return to “Courier / Raider”