Pe courier fuel tank capacity

Cam89
I'm new, be nice!

Pe courier fuel tank capacity

Unread post by Cam89 » August 30th, 2015, 8:49 am

Hey guys just wondering how much fuel you can actually get in your tank? I have the standard tank which I believe is 70lt, but the most fuel I have ever been able to put in it is 56lt and that's from the gauge being as empty as it can get and then driving another 50km. I think at that point I still have 14lt in the tank. I fill it up till its completely full not just to when the pump clicks off. I will run it out of fuel to see how far it gets next time I go for a long trip and then bleed it up.

hoyks
Avid Poster

Re: Pe courier fuel tank capacity

Unread post by hoyks » August 30th, 2015, 9:15 am

Mine was about the same. Needle would go below E, but I never ran out of fuel and around 57L was the most it ever took.

I was going to fill a jerry can and push my luck one day, but never did.

Cam89
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Cam89 » August 30th, 2015, 10:25 am

Next time it gets below empty I might drain the tank and see how much comes out. If I get some time I may even pull the tank out and play with the float so it reflects what's in the tank a bit better

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 30th, 2015, 6:34 pm

Don't run it til empty just to see how much you can fit in Cam!! That's a good way to stuff your injection system!! Modern petrol & Diesel engines use the last 5-10 litres of fuel (some keep as much as 15 litres!!) in the tank as coolant AND lubricant for the injectors & injector pump; run the fuel down too low and there isn't enough fuel left in the tank to do that, so you ARE going to be damaging your injector system!!

Check the manual or glovebox guide for your vehicle if you must know the nominal capacity for your fuel tank, but generally the gauge & any low fuel warning light will be calibrated to ensure that you always keep somewhere between 5-10 litres in the tank when those devices warn you to fill the tank again, and you shouldn't ignore them for too long (unless you want to fork out for a new fuel pump &/or injector system!! :( )
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

DangerPE
Here and there

Unread post by DangerPE » November 11th, 2015, 10:15 pm

when does the fuel light come on?

ive run mine past E and the light still didnt come on.
was thinking maybe its stuffed
2002 Courier 2.5 turbo
2005 Patrol 4.2TD

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 12th, 2015, 12:51 am

Not positive they all had one - you might want to check the glovebox manual &/or the tank for wiring.....
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Courier / Raider”