Improving engine performance 2003 Bravo?

bsymo
I'm new, be nice!

Improving engine performance 2003 Bravo?

Unread post by bsymo » December 29th, 2014, 3:09 pm

hey i had a 2000 modle bravo that stated to let my down due to the abuse it copped from its former owners i recently bought a 2003 modle ford courier thats alot nicer but is laking in power i would like to tune it but alot of people are telling me thats its not as easy as winding the fuel and adding a boost controller due to all of the electronics i tunned the old car and have installed a few chips on mates cars aswell what im wondering is if there are chips avalible for the 03 modle or is it still just a mechanical fuel pump and a dumb ECU or do i need a chip and tune any avdvice/ knowlage would be grately appreciated i dont think i would have much trouble installing the chip since i am an apprentice diesel mechanic and have a fully euiped work shop on hand

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Re: Improving engine performnce 2003 Bravo?

Unread post by chris_stoffa » December 29th, 2014, 8:12 pm

Bsymo,

When you say lacking in power , what do you mean ?

It is afterall only a 2.5 litre , can you describe what type of response that you get from it , what revs it does for you or you use.

Cheers
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

bsymo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by bsymo » December 29th, 2014, 10:20 pm

the power is amazing down low but as soon as it hits a hill it bogges down alot and i had to go back to third on some hills when im in 4th (towing gear in them cars) it sits on around 3500RPM but when i hit a hill and put the power on the car bogges down and the reves dropped to as low as 1500RPM before i went back to 3rd and i didnt have much load on the car the old one i had was the same until i did fuel and boost but with the new one apparently it has alot more electronics and its not as easy the three questions i have are
.if the cars fuel pressure reg is electronicly controlled
.if there are chips/piggyback ECU's avalible for the car if the answer to the first question is yes
.and finally if i wind the boost up with a boost controller will it trow the cars ECU into limp mode
i dont know much about the enjines in my car due to the fact i work on earth moving equipment so any advice or sugestions are appreciated thanks

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » December 30th, 2014, 10:09 am

Bsymo,

With the 2.5 WLT forget the general rule that any diesel will slug its way through anything with low down torque, this is only a 2.5 litre and it relies more on revs than the torque that comes from a low revving , big flywheeled big litre diesel.

If you use the idea that you drive it a bit like you stole it and keep the revs up, turbo on boost, and use the gears to take advantage of those revs you will get far better performance from it than you probably are now.

Off road its second low and 2500-3500 revs and they will climb 95% of things so long as the tyres can gain traction.
First low , 1800 - 2000+ revs is for the much harder stuff combined with a little momentum. - anything lower in revs and you are probably going to stall as it comes off the turbo boost at approx 16-1700 revs.

They are surprisingly capable if you use the revs and gears to advantage rather than "torque" - they have torque but it comes from the higher revs

This motor doesnt "lug" like the bigger diesels at 1100-1500 revs , firstly the turbo boost isn't there at those revs and the engine doesn't have the crankshaft / flywheel mass to torque like bigger diesels. It is also a reasonably basic engine with minimal electronics - the ECU will quickly adapt to a change in driving style. ;)

On road anything under 2000 revs isn't really useful, once again keep the revs up, ( generally up to 3-3500 in traffic - peak at 4000+ ) use the gears and it will keep up with and in many cases clip along better than the average traffic.

I often , on even slight downhill grades at the lights, start off in 2nd and use the revs to get moving. ( Exedy Sports Clutch)

Mine is now regularly spun to 4000+ revs in 2nd / 3rd to get to 4th cog to get me up a short steep hill near home

Towing, same thing applies, use the revs and gears ( except 5th unless on very flat or downhill grades and gently)

I have towed for probably 6-8000km in 5th with a 1 tonne camper using the above basic care - gently in 5th and use 3rd and 4th to tow at 90+kph. I also regularly tow the camper up the Western Highway here and have no difficulty in dragging it up the Pentland hills and Pykes Creek cuttings.

So in overall answer, I too have looked at the diesel chip path ( stienbauer and others ) and found that by driving the engine to suit its particular outputs that it really isn't necessary. The cost isn't/wasn't the issue for not getting it.

If anything maybe a turbo boost and a EGT gauge to watch what it is doing as you drive it may be money better spent for you.

One other thing - make sure your valve clearances are spot on ( mine are set to minimum clearance - .006 thou ) and the difference is quite noticeable - mine are now due for adjustment every 50K - its worth doing IMHO - only takes 20-30 minutes.

You might also think that at those revs I'm flogging it.......... doesn't seem so, it thrives on the revs , I run 200:1 2 stroke in the fuel , have done since 50K and its now at 220K and runs like a clock.

Hope the above helps
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Sammy9003
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Sammy9003 » December 31st, 2014, 10:39 am

check out the facebook page, the guy has a courier WL-T and has modified it and posted his progress.

https://www.facebook.com/wltmazda?fref=ts

bsymo
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by bsymo » December 31st, 2014, 11:49 am

Thanks for the advice I had a 2000 model bravo and it was great I did boost a little fuel and valve clearances and it woke the car up amazingly it had a lot more down low and up high I want to do the exact same thing to the new car as I spent a lot of time driving up and down a straight empty road with a hill at the end in all different speeds and gears in order to find the sweet spot all I'm wondering is if the ECU will put the car into limp mode is it detects more fuel pressure because a few people have told me the ECU in my 03 courier is a lot smarter Thant the ECU in my 2000 bravo

bobkitten

Unread post by bobkitten » January 4th, 2015, 8:02 am

This is quite a puzzling thread. I thought these vehicles were fully mechanical. How is it that your 2003 bravo is ecu controlled? Can you show us pictures of your ecu and your pump?

JamesD94

Re: Improving engine performance 2003 Bravo?

Unread post by JamesD94 » January 15th, 2015, 7:17 pm

G'day guys I'm pretty new here and new to 4x4 work too I got a 2000 model dual cab courier I bought stock as a rock and added a few mods to it myself just gonna be following this as I am curious what kind of boost are you guys running and how do you adjust the fuel to suit also how do u adjust the valve clearances
Oh and might I also ask does anyone know of a good place for spare parts down in Victoria as I blew my rear diff about a month ago and couldn't find any second hand turbo rears so has cost me aprox 2gs to fix

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » January 15th, 2015, 7:36 pm

^^^^
Where in Vic are you ?
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » January 15th, 2015, 7:53 pm

Bravo timing info
Bravo valve timing.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

JamesD94

Unread post by JamesD94 » January 15th, 2015, 8:29 pm

I'm in South East suburbs and is the 03 bravo running same 2.5 turbo diesel as the 00 courier?

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » January 15th, 2015, 8:38 pm

If it's a WLT 2.5 litre then yep.

Yellow pages ,search for Mazda Wreckers and ring around.

Also look for Ford Courier parts - same beast

This is exactly what mine looks like -

03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Boxhead 71
Avid Poster

Unread post by Boxhead 71 » January 22nd, 2016, 5:31 pm

It's the same motor, mate. Whatever you did to the '00 Bravo, you can do to the '03 Courier.

Return to “Courier / Raider”