Which Suspension Are You Using?

Nicho_T
Here and there

Which Suspension Are You Using?

Unread post by Nicho_T » March 29th, 2012, 8:48 am

G'day Courier/Bravo owners,

In the near future I am planning on putting a 2" suspension lift kit in my 02 Bravo Dual Cab and then putting a set of 31's under it. Just wondering what suspension brands other people have put in their utes and how they rate it?

Nick

animal_49
Here and there

Re: Which Suspension Are You Using?

Unread post by animal_49 » March 30th, 2012, 8:07 pm

hay nicho_t

im running ironman shocks and torsion bars with the factory leaf packs that have been reset. Rate it highly as these are the only torsion bars holing the front end up over 6 months (got a ironman steel bar and 12000lb winch). iv tried EFS and old man emu both seem to give a good ride but couldnt take the weight. hope that helps ya

Nicho_T
Here and there

Unread post by Nicho_T » March 30th, 2012, 8:33 pm

thanks for the reply, which ironman shocks are you using the foam cell or gas ones?

nick

animal_49
Here and there

Unread post by animal_49 » March 31st, 2012, 5:08 am

iv got the foam cell ones in, havnt had them in for long so cant really tell what there like yet tho.

Nicho_T
Here and there

Unread post by Nicho_T » March 31st, 2012, 10:39 am

no worries thanks for the reply

bravoboy300
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bravoboy300 » April 1st, 2012, 9:11 am

I've got tough dog springs and shocks, foam cells in the front, gas in the back and it is an awesome kit, using factory torsion bars atm, but that may change soon...

Lewisp
Here and there

Unread post by Lewisp » April 1st, 2012, 1:42 pm

Do after market suspension kits for these vehicles really make that much of a difference in terms of ride & off-road ability? i mean up front with the torsion bar IFS you can really just wind up the stock bars to accommodate more weight/better ride height, i dont understand why they advertise aftermarket torsion bars as a means to 'add some lift'.

The rear is understandable as the leaf pack directly influences ride height, load carrying ability and flex.
As for shocks, i dont have much experience with aftermarket gear how much difference do after-market shocks make to the ride over stock shocks? is it worth the money?

The suspension on my Ute at the moment is hard as a rock, even with standard torsion bars, a steel bullbar, winch and dual batteries up front, its an incredibly rough ride. i've wound up the torsion bars a little to improve ride height but nothing to extreme. What i don't understand is that it seems that all of the aftermarket kits i've looked at so far, offer stiffer torsion bars to suit more weight/accessories fitted to the vehicle but mine seems stiff enough as it is without heavy duty t/bars's and plenty of extra weight.
OLD

1995 Ford Courier XL Supercab 2.6l EFI (G6)
Dual batteries
33' Mudstar Radial M/T's
2' body lift
2' lift blocks (Rear)
wound up torsion bars (Front)
Ridge Ryder 9,500lb Winch

NEW

98 GU patrol 2.8 DX
210,000K's
Blocked EGR
33' Mudstar

bravoboy300
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bravoboy300 » April 2nd, 2012, 7:21 pm

Mine was like that mate, and aftermarket leaves fixed it, it rides much smoother now. When you think about the torsion bars, the more you wind it, the more tension you place on it, hence its firmer... Aftermarket torsion bars are usually a larger diametre, meaning same ride height with less tension on the bar (spring) meaning its usually a bit of a softer ride... As for shocks they can make a huge difference, especially over lotsa corrugations... The only way to get more travel and flex in the front is to look at ball joint spacers, etc..

workhorse
Been here a while

Unread post by workhorse » April 6th, 2012, 6:23 pm

animal_49 wrote:hay nicho_t

im running ironman shocks and torsion bars with the factory leaf packs that have been reset. Rate it highly as these are the only torsion bars holing the front end up over 6 months (got a ironman steel bar and 12000lb winch). iv tried EFS and old man emu both seem to give a good ride but couldnt take the weight. hope that helps ya
I wonder if you could expand on your experiences with these torsion bars. I'm also considering upgrading mine and haven't been able to find anyone who has tried different types. Has your problem only been sag? How was the ride with these in relation to harshness?
I also have a steel bar and winch.
Many thanks.

animal_49
Here and there

Unread post by animal_49 » April 7th, 2012, 5:54 pm

g'day workhorse

the ride/comfort level from all of them are good it was just that EFS and OME bars were sagging quickly under the weight (within 2 months) i have them wound up to raise the front end to level out the vehicle approx 2''. the think i noticed withe the ironman bars are they are thicker in diameter than factory, EFS and OME. Now i just have a problem of the lower control arms cracking out where the torsion bar connects to it. hope that clears it up more for you.

workhorse
Been here a while

Unread post by workhorse » April 7th, 2012, 8:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback, but I'm still interested in why these bars started sagging so soon once fitted. My last suspension check this month found the original bars are still holding their height but I was considering an upgrade to get more comfort from a bigger diameter torsion bar. Do you have any ideas as why they sagged so soon? It seems strange considering they are larger diameter than originals? Wonder if the steel in them is a different strength/grade?
Appreciate the chat.

workhorse
Been here a while

Unread post by workhorse » April 7th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Also wondering why the lower control arms are cracking? What driving/conditions does your truck have to deal with?

animal_49
Here and there

Unread post by animal_49 » April 8th, 2012, 8:07 am

to say it easily its a farm ute on the coast and the terrain varies from soft sand dunes, flint rocky out crops and peat swamps. so you could say that the constant bouncing/movement is causing the thiner bars to sag quickly, and with the lower control arms are just a weak point/flaw in the design and probably not the best vehicle of choice for the task either haha

workhorse
Been here a while

Unread post by workhorse » April 12th, 2012, 9:13 pm

animal_49 wrote:to say it easily its a farm ute on the coast and the terrain varies from soft sand dunes, flint rocky out crops and peat swamps. so you could say that the constant bouncing/movement is causing the thiner bars to sag quickly, and with the lower control arms are just a weak point/flaw in the design and probably not the best vehicle of choice for the task either haha

Thanks for the feedback.
Michael

HurricaneNT
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by HurricaneNT » June 18th, 2012, 2:51 pm

Bought ironman foamcell shock absorbers for the courier the other day and took them into repco to ge them fitted. The rear ones fitted nicely and have definitley improved the ride however the front shocks did not seem to be made for the brackets on the front. There was 9mm of play between the eyelet ant the mounting bracket - i chose not to have the front ones fitted and I am now looking for something that is good and will actually fit.

The dealer I bought them from called Ironman and told them about the issue - Ironman said that i should just add some washers to take up the slack. I thankfully got my money back. Anyone have this issue with the ironman foamcells?
2005 Ford Courier XLT
Iron Man Foam-cell shocks
Cooper ATR's
Lightforce Genesis 210 HID 50W

Return to “Courier / Raider”