mazda b2500 bravo leaking air con water in cab

All your Ford/Mazda Tech questions & answers
burbling 60
Been here a while

mazda b2500 bravo leaking air con water in cab

Unread post by burbling 60 » February 9th, 2015, 11:07 am

had a look yesterday but couldnt see where it was coming from - has anyone had this problem and fixed it before?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: mazda b2500 bravo leaking air con water in cab

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 9th, 2015, 11:24 am

Almost all 'refrigerant type' air cons will produce condensate/water as they operate, you see the puddles on the ground under shop & home air con units all the time. Soo, especially if you are running the air con a lot & the temperature outside is fairly high plus reasonably humid (or if you are just breathing heavy inside the cab) it could just be that the tray under the air con heat exchanger inside the cab that is meant to trap that condensate is overflowing &/or the drain is blocked or pulled off.

The first thing I'd be checking is that drain - usually it is a small tube (18-20mm max) goes from the bottom of the air con out thru the firewall. You can usually see them from the engine compartment, looking down the firewall on the passenger side of the car. They tend to be aimed straight down, are about 150mm long, & are just open at the bottom - if it is working properly while your air con is running you might even see a wet area or a puddle under the car after stopping, & they often leave a dribble evident on the road as you turn or drive slowly. But, if the drain hose is blocked or disconnected, you'll get water/condensate dribbling or maybe even running into the passenger footwell. Check that the hose is connected to the bottom of the A/C box in the cab, if it is & you never see water or dribble on the road after running the air con, you should probably pull it off the tray & (gently) blow air thru it to make sure it is clear - and it may also pay to blow air back into the catch tray of the A/C unit - the drain side of the tray can block as well; then refit the hose & see if it channels the water outside. If the drain on the tray itself is blocking, you might hafta remove that & clean the tray.

Good Luck
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

burbling 60
Been here a while

Unread post by burbling 60 » February 9th, 2015, 1:24 pm

got it up on ramps today and as i undid the bash plate to change the oil - a hose fell on me that looks like it fits a hole in the firewallthat in around the same place its leaking - im absolutely buggered if i know how im getting that bugger back in there - you would have to be a contortionist with japanese hands and double jointed elbows

jeez they make things hard dont they

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 10th, 2015, 9:30 am

Sounds like your drain hose has fallen off! Rather than trying to replace it from underneath the vehicle, can you lift the firwall mat in the cabin/passenger footwell & find where the hole it should go thru is, then feed the hose thru that before plugging it back onto the end of the drain outlet?? I've seen a few of these that've come off various vehicles, & never even try to put them back from underneath the vehicle - you would hafta be a contortionist, but I don't think double jointed elbows would help, you'd need at least 3 fully articulated tentacles, one of them long enough to reach inside the cab!! :eek:

Good Luck ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Ford / Mazda”