What's the difference between these boost controllers?

All your Ford/Mazda Tech questions & answers
ford fan
Getting to know the place

What's the difference between these boost controllers?

Unread post by ford fan » October 22nd, 2013, 4:57 pm

AMG_Boost_Controller_PV1_R.jpg
96.jpg
hi im new to all this and wanted to know the difference between these two boost controller's pictured here, BLACK 1 is simply in and out with the spring and ball bearing in it, RED 1 has a vent line on the adjuster then another line run's down to a tee piece, both the adjuster and the tee piece have the ball bearing and spring in them....can anyone tell me the difference and what one best suit's my 2.5 td courier?? and also have read a lot on swapping the vacuum lines as follow's REMOVE "inlet manifold to fuel pump diaphragm + waste gate actuator to turbo outlet" REPLACE "inlet manifold to waste gate actuator + fuel pump diaphragm to turbo out let!! is this still ok to do with boost controller fitted?? appreciate any help or advice
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

menaced
I'm new, be nice!

Re: What's the difference between these boost controllers?

Unread post by menaced » April 21st, 2015, 3:03 pm

Hey Ford Fan,

This article should help you out http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=2687

I would go with a simple 1 piece Ball Bearing type personally. (Reduces spool time vs bleed valve)

If your budget persists i would go with a cheapy Electronic Boost Controller...

Regarding placement it doesn't matter where you tap it into, as long as it's in between the turbo wastegate actuator and pressure source.

NZ LUX
Avid Poster

Re: What's the difference between these boost controllers?

Unread post by NZ LUX » April 21st, 2015, 4:54 pm

I've got one like the bottom black one. It's been in use for a couple of years now with no issues. It's simple to fit and adjust, then leave it alone.

Also, don't be fooled into paying big bucks for a top branded one, the cheap no-brand ones are exactly the same. At the end of the day, they are simply a block of hollow metal with a ball acting against spring pressure. Once the air pressure coming in exceeds the spring pressure, the excess air is bled off to allow the exhaust wastegate to open and thus limit the boost pressure.

The worst thing to happen would be the ball/spring become seized and allow the turbo to "free boost" i.e keep creating boost pressure well above what you'd normally expect due to the wastegate not being actuated. This will be obvious to see straight away if you have a boost gauge fitted.

Return to “Ford / Mazda”