Ranger / BT50 - New &/or Old - Known Problems

All your Ford/Mazda Tech questions & answers
bt50li
Part of the furniture

Re: Ranger / BT50 - Known Problems

Unread post by bt50li » July 5th, 2012, 7:39 am

Yeah mine has a slight leak at the front of the engine but its done 120,000km. Should be covered under warranty but dont be overly concerned over it, they are just gaskets and will fail from time to time but shouldnt fail that early.

worthy
Part of the furniture

Unread post by worthy » July 5th, 2012, 11:15 am

Big Wrigg wrote: By the way cruise control is now back online... FORD RELEASED THE KITS FRIDAY 29/6/12 according to my dealer anyway.

Cheers
Cruise recall has been re-released with a FIX. Expect a letter unless you took the $900 and ran.
2000 Prado 3.0LTD Lifted and Locked
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=87167
Have IFS, Will Impress

shedman
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by shedman » July 9th, 2012, 10:27 pm

Re: "Anyone noticed or had any issues with oil leaks?

I have just ticked over 35000klm and noticed that there has/is a slight leak at the rear of the head/block gasket that has run down the back of the engine over the gear box. doesnt look terrible at the moment. But cant be a good thing on an 18mth old car right?"

As a result of spillage when filling the engine with oil, I discovered that the tunnel in the head that contains the injectors, drains through a hole at the bottom of the head at the back. Drained fluid runs down the back of the engine and over the gearbox, just as you describe.Your slight leak could be oil spillage like mine or perhaps fuel leaking into the injector tunnel.

Graham

b8cruza
Getting to know the place

Has anyone had problems with their Pj Ranger XLT?

Unread post by b8cruza » December 3rd, 2012, 9:28 pm

hi everybody,

just wondering if anybody had any problems with their PJ Ranger faults and failures?

cheers,
Antonio
2012 Mazda BT50 XTR 4x4 dual cab

C32
Here and there

Re: Has anyone had problems with their Pj Ranger XLT?

Unread post by C32 » December 3rd, 2012, 10:28 pm

faults and failures like?? all vehicles have faults just some are quicker noticeable

_jp_
Been here a while

Unread post by _jp_ » December 4th, 2012, 8:45 am

I've had mine since new in 2007 and it has been great. The only things I can think of are dry hub seals and loose belts - neither of which is hardly considered a problem.

If you get a manual, the single best modification you can do is the 2WD low-range mod. Makes low speed manoeuvering and reversing so much easier and less stress on the clutch (which are known to be "weak").

I have had 2 recalls fixed by Ford (bonnet latch and tow bar).

There is a thread here that may give some information on other's experiences viewtopic.php?f=118&t=104421

b8cruza

Unread post by b8cruza » December 4th, 2012, 7:26 pm

thanks for the infomation.

the pj ranger i have the front diff does not engage when four wheel drive is activated. so no 4wd :(
2012 Mazda BT50 XTR 4x4 dual cab

madaz2012
Been here a while

Re: Ranger / BT-50 Known Problems

Unread post by madaz2012 » December 4th, 2012, 10:36 pm

for px and new Bt

-Lockable fuel cap on c/c models fail
-some rear vision mirrors wernt moulded correctly and normally not clipped together properly and loose

MadKaw
Here and there

Re: Ranger / BT-50 Known Problems

Unread post by MadKaw » December 5th, 2012, 7:10 am

In my BT

Vibration / Drone when cold at low revs in auto
Lag on take off
Sat Nav maps out of date
Nudge bar wobbles

I also had 2 mounting bolts missing on the tow bar / rear bumper mount and the anti rattle nut on the tow bar fell off..

j man 84

How are the new BT's & Rangers going over time - any issues?

Unread post by j man 84 » August 15th, 2013, 8:22 pm

Hey all havent been on here for a long time but time is getting close to upgrade to the new model in the next 6 months or so, so my question is how are the new bt's and rangas going? Any major issues with them? Now been thinking about getting the base model mazda bt50 xt auto dualcab with rear difflock. As the ranga doesnt come in those specs with rear difflock does it? Ill use it for work so the vinyl floors are very handy and can take a beating. Any issues with the auto box? Read a while ago about some of them having lag down low is that still an issue or has it been sorted? Just want to know of issues that will definetely affect the vehicle or possible ones people have gone through and has there been fixs. Appreciate any help and guidance Ive currently got the pk ranger it was cheap at the time and served its purpose but this time chasing something that i can keep for 4 years+ easily and trust it wont fail. The newer models look alot better built and much more advanced technology which is good.

The old hilux has been a pretty good thing for a longtime but i had an 08 model and the fuel economy was pathetic and auto was gutless but in saying that they are reliable and strong enough to last a longtime. I do alot of bush trips about every 6 weeks and the vehicle gets a good run around the scrub and bashing across paddocks so need the next one to be strongly built. Does anyone here do the same sort of thing and if so hows it going?

Anyway enough for now ill wait for some input and talk a bit more then.

Cheers guys

Jono

barudi
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Ranger / BT50 - New &/or Old - Known Problems

Unread post by barudi » September 26th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Hi all, not sure if this is the right place for this question but here goes anyway.

My 2008 BT50 3 ltr diesel 4X4 has just been diagnosed with oil in the coolant. The mechanic says it is most likely a blown head gasket or cracked head.

A second opinion pressure test the radiator and said there was no drop in pressure so it was probably not a head problem and could be the EGR, (now I am really lost), I have no idea where to go from here.

Up to about $3000 if the head is cracked and wasted money if it is not.

Any advice? Has anyone else heard of water in the coolant from the EGR valve?

The oil in the sump is not cloudy and appears normal.

Any advice or help would be most welcome

Thanks

Jess_95
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Jess_95 » February 3rd, 2015, 10:43 am

hi all

Just wondering if anyone has had problems with injector seals on their 2009 Mazda BT 50? I've had to replace mine after some bigish trips... Does anyone know why they break? Or is it just wear and tear?

winsea
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by winsea » March 17th, 2015, 5:54 pm

Jess_95 wrote:hi all

Just wondering if anyone has had problems with injector seals on their 2009 Mazda BT 50? I've had to replace mine after some bigish trips... Does anyone know why they break? Or is it just wear and tear?
Same here ' injector washes failed at 114'000k ' mine is also a 2009 bt50

Only just had the repairs done ' I asked that a request form be sent to Mazda Aus to have them pay for the repairs as I can't see this as fair wear and tear ... my bt50 has always been serviced from new by Mazda and has never had the injectors removed

Conversations with Mazda Aust to pay for the parts fell on deaf ears ' their argument was that the vehicle has fallen outside warranty .... I argued that while this was the case that the manufacture still has responsibilities beyond this

Furthermore I also told them what to do with a Mazda BT50 and their behind

I have contacted the office of fair trading a lodged a complaint ' something of which I would advise anyone to do if you feel you have been left in the cold

Now we are not talking much money to fix the problem ' around $100 ... Mazda mechanic indicated this is a common problem ' Mazda Aust said 'Never heard of this happening '

I asked Mazda Australia if the injectors washers are the same as the original 2009 parts or upgraded ' they told me they don't know .... I then ask well how are you qualified to make judgements on parts you obviously know nothing about ?

The one single most thing that annoys me is someone telling you porkies ' the second is a person who thinks your stupid enough to believe it

My concern is ' I have a 2009 Mazda BT50 that has parts that will quite possibly fail again ' this is not reliability

By the way the injector washers take time before complete failure ' lift the top cover and check the injectors for dirt build up around the injector ' it will be rare that all four will fail ... so if you have two injectors covered in dirt and the other are not then you have washers ready to let go

If you have a louder than normal tapping sound on early morning start up then this could be washers beginning to fail

If your Mazda don't kick over like the day you go it and it take a few extra winds then this could be washers failing

So it takes time for the washers to fail ' when a washer is close to complete failure you will notice that the Vehicle will get harder and harder to start ' almost like having a flat battery .... when the washer fails completely the noise is a amplification of what you may have thought was normal .. if you then lift the top engine cover you will see plenty of black stuff ejected from around the failing washer (carbon?)

It will take no more than 5min to quickly inspect your injectors for possible washers failure' simple look for abnormal dirt build up

I think that Mazda Australia has been very quiet about this one ' same thing now has also happened to a mates Bt50 same age

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » March 17th, 2015, 6:23 pm

The washers will only fail when the clamping force is enough to stop sonic speed gas from passing the sealing faces.
If there is no leak at all then it will remain intact.
The high speed hot gas erodes either the washer or the head surface or both. Some needing reseating on the face of the head.

Probably no one ever checks the integrity of the clamping bolt tightness and so failure is able to happen.
A squeak noise is often heard and a friends "07 PJ Ranger did the same but the injectors had been swapped from a cooked engine and the mechanic never cleaned the carbon of the injector or the washers and simply clamped the crud in between. around 10,000km later the crickets were there. two of them emitting volumes of goo and the other two were leaking slightly.
Alzheimers is quite prevalent in company technical staff as they don't seem to hear or remember much at all. I think CRAFT is the term.

AT 114,000 and trying a claim is unlikely to secure any assistance though.

Return to “Ford / Mazda”