Japanese Imported Engines - experiences?

All your Toyota Tech questions & answers
Magoo74
I'm new, be nice!

Japanese Imported Engines - experiences?

Unread post by Magoo74 » August 23rd, 2017, 9:51 am

hi all,

I'm looking into purchasing an imported 1HDT engine. i.e. the Japanese "low kms" imports.
I've already spoken to a couple of mechanics who've told me the low kms don't mean anything, as they've usually spent hours on end idling in buses. One mechanic told me that, coupled with irregular oil changes can mean glazed bores, sludged up etc and so when we get them out here to Australia and really start running these engines on our open roads the lifespan of them isn't real good before they require a rebuild.

Apparently that doesn't apply to all of them but you just can't tell.

So, has anyone here bought and fitted one? If so, I'd love to hear how it's performing

thanks

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Japanese Imported Engines - experiences?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 4th, 2017, 10:34 am

I haven't specifically tried a low km Jap import 1HDT, but going by my experiences with a few other vehicles & those import engines, you can absolutely trust what those mechanics told you!! It's really a lottery with the prize being getting a good motor that survives the transplant, and I'm pretty convinced the odds are stacked against you when it comes to getting a good low km import at the first go!! :irked:

For my 2 bob's worth, you will probably be much better off looking for a donor half cut where you can at least SEE the condition of the donor transplant in situ before committing your $$. You can get some really good deals that way AND you also get access to all the little ancilliary bits that generally don't come with the motor alone but are often integral to getting that particular motor from a different country working. So by doing it that way it's a lot easier to do the transplant properly & get everything you need to make it work as intended, & that's before you add the costs of fabbing up the necessary fiddly bits or cobbling together looms etc!!

OR, you could still be a whole lot better off to bite the bullet & pay the extra for a full or at least partial reco motor up front - I learnt the hard way from my first couple of low km import failures. Be very aware that even if they do warrant the 'motor' itself for a limited period, the time & labour costs involved in doing the swap can be substantial, even if you don't hafta do much fabbing & cobbling together to get things working!! It's always going to cost you something to set about removing your dead motor & then fitting the low import replacement, and that cost in time or $$ will probably at least double if that motor fails as so many do! And they rarely fail quickly enough for you to get a replacement under their limited warranty without argument, so it's gonna take even more time if you hafta argue them into giving you another first, & even then you get to pay in either time or $$ to do everything once again.... and rest assured that any of those fiddly bits you hadta fab up or cobble together for the first replacement most often WILL NOT transfer directly to the next one - you are far more likely to get a whole new lot you hafta faff around with!! It seems that they have different specs & std fittings for every different local council area over there!! And remember, you could even get to do that a couple of times before you FINALLY get a good motor!!

So it quickly becomes obvious that going for the fully tested, stripped down & carefully measured unit with any worn bits replaced up front can save a lot of your time & dollars in the long run even if it costs more initially; & if you can afford to go for the full reco unit up front, it is likely to save you even more in time & $$ over the long run!! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Uncle Buck
Here and there

Unread post by Uncle Buck » November 17th, 2017, 10:53 am

And the other thing is jap imports are 24 volt

80series Mick
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by 80series Mick » February 22nd, 2018, 6:40 pm

Hi Magoo 74 I'm new to this forum myself and hoping to learn what to do with my 80series 1hz with an aftermarket turbo which has dropped an injector.
I did like the 1hz but was thinking of putting the 1hd-ft in from a motor import company.
It seemed a bit expensive but as the 80 is my main traveling vehicle I'd spend the money
11500 dollars and 300 dollars for transport to country queensland.
After 4 months of no engine turning up I have been trying to retrieve my funds.
Depending on what lawyers end up costing me I might have to just rebuild the old 1hz myself.
My advice if you are looking for an import motor read the reviews on the company first it would have saved me heaps of dollars and time.

Return to “Toyota”