Any ideas what the Grinding noise in high range might be?

All your Toyota Tech questions & answers
Ray230
I'm new, be nice!

Any ideas what the Grinding noise in high range might be?

Unread post by Ray230 » January 29th, 2016, 5:02 pm

Hi all,

Another question about my new hilux. When in high range, there is an intermittent grinding noise which sounds like coming from the front right of the car. The traction control light flickers on in the dash, even though I have turned it off. I tried low range to see if it would do the same, but it doesn't make the noise at all, and the light on the dash stays on. I have taken it back to Toyota but surprise surprise, they couldn't make it happen/fault it and weren't very helpful at all. Car has 4500kms on it! Has anyone had this sort of thing happen to them or maybe have an idea of what it could be? Thanks in advance

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Any ideas what the Grinding noise in high range might be

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 30th, 2016, 5:51 pm

Sounds like it might be trying to engage/disengage 4WD when it shouldn't, or maybe the ABS/traction control IS doing something!!

Have you tried to get a vid/recording of the noise & traction control light flickering on your phone? It's much up harder for an uninterested dealer to ignore that sort of evidence, especially if it's already loaded to youtube so you can show them/let them hear.... :ooh:

Good Luck
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Ray230
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Any ideas what the Grinding noise in high range might be

Unread post by Ray230 » January 30th, 2016, 7:45 pm

Well it shouldn't be trying to engage 4wd if it's already engaged? Thanks for your reply. I will try to get a recording, as I want this to be right for Fraser in March.

Return to “Toyota”