New hilux fuel economy - what do you get?

All your Toyota Tech questions & answers
Ray230
I'm new, be nice!

New hilux fuel economy - what do you get?

Unread post by Ray230 » January 29th, 2016, 3:13 pm

Hi All,

Had the new hilux (2016) for about a month now. It's an SR 2.8L auto diesel. I am just curious about my fuel consumption as it seems pretty heavy, getting about 580kms out of a tank. I drive fairly sedately most of the time with the occasional boot to the floor. When I tow my work trailer, I am getting about 450 kms out of the tank. I know this engine is different to previous models, but just wondering if this seems about right? Any opinions or experience appreciated! Also, I have around 4500 kms on the clock. Thanks,

Ray230

vtssdude
Here and there

Re: New hilux fuel economy

Unread post by vtssdude » January 29th, 2016, 3:26 pm

How many kms have you racked up so far?
Fuel economy is always not so good for new cars for the first 3000kms to 10,000kms.

Ray230
I'm new, be nice!

Re: New hilux fuel economy

Unread post by Ray230 » January 29th, 2016, 4:11 pm

4500kms

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: New hilux fuel economy - what do you get?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 30th, 2016, 6:28 pm

Hey Ray, vtssdude is right, altho I'd suggest it's rarely the lower end of that scale & most often well out towards 10,000 km before they actually bed in properly!!

Buuut, comparing fuel economy off 'how many kms you get from a tank of fuel' is not a really helpful guide for anything, not even this sort of comparison - you really need to know how many litres of fuel you use to fill your tank after travelling how many kms - anything else is a pretty rough stab in the dark, & your stab is very likely to be a whole lot different to mine therefore pretty much useless as a comparison. My 'tank full' could be more than 20 litres different to yours; and for that matter, if you aren't running std sized tyres & the vehicles you are comparing with aren't also running std size tyres, the number of kms you think you've travelled could easily be as much as 10% or possibly even 20% different, even if you travelled exactly the same 'actual distance' over the same route!

So, are you running std sized tyres? If not, do you have a GPS that can tell you how many kms you've travelled between fill ups? Once you've filled the tank to full & driven for a while, can you tell us how many litres of fuel it took to fill after travelling however many kms that was?? That will give us a reasonable basis for comparison - anything else is gonna be like comparing apples to Volkswagens or Ruger .22 single shot rifles unless you are extremely lucky... only you ain't ever gonna know if you were lucky or not!!

Knowing how many litres it took to fill up again after travelling however many kms means you can work out 'Kms per litre' or 'litres per 100 km', & they are handy figures to compare with others, but you really need to record your details for any degree of reliability - keep odometer reading, trip meter reading, & how many litres you put in the tank every time you fill up; which is all handy info to keep & know/watch anyway, cos it can tell you all sorts of interesting stuff!! Like it could highlight the fact that every time you get fuel from one of the local 'cheap fuel' servo's you never get as good fuel economy as when you fill up elsewhere (did for me!) or that you do get better fuel economy when you always fill with premium fuel (did that too!) And if you record how much you spend on fuel too, you might even be able to work out how much money you save in the long run by using the 'more expensive at the pump' fuel - or not, as whatever the case may be for you! ;)

Cheers
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Ray230
I'm new, be nice!

Re: New hilux fuel economy - what do you get?

Unread post by Ray230 » January 30th, 2016, 7:52 pm

Hi Peter, thanks for the great reply. Very insightful as well. I was hoping to compare with similar hiluxes, forgetting about different tyre sizes etc. I run completely stock tyres and are 31's in the old measurement. I put 60L in when I fill up, and that gives me 580kms. Thanks again!

Return to “Toyota”