Fatal 200 series flaw - chassis cracked & car written off!

All your Toyota Tech questions & answers
Newelly1
Getting to know the place

Fatal 200 series flaw - chassis cracked & car written off!

Unread post by Newelly1 » September 29th, 2015, 6:28 pm

Hi guys, my uncle recently bought a 2013 GX 200 series Toyota Landcruiser, he replaced the original front with an ironman bulbar and winch and the weight of this alone resulted in his chassis cracking almost completely writing off the car.... Just wondering whether anyone had had similar experiences? The full explanation can be found in the video which I have linked below.

Cheers

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=goh6kq3lDCU
Last edited by Newelly1 on September 29th, 2015, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Re: Fatal 200 series flaw - chassis cracked & car written of

Unread post by Shann Low » September 29th, 2015, 7:37 pm

Vid doesn't say anything specifically about the vehicle being written off.... is there any independent verification that it has been written off - & bye whom - Toyota, Qld Transport Dept, Insurer??

That said, I can see their MIGHT be issues with trying to repair it - since I don't know if it would be legal to repair that front part of the chassis since it is part of an engineered / designed crumple zone... with probably G Force sensors & or crumple triggers for deployment of the air bag crash safety system?.

I think it probably COULD be repaired / re welded.... but it might not be wise / legal to do so for reasons stated above.

3 mm steel plate obviously isn't strong enough for the weight hung off it, in the way it was hung!.

Interesting whether other bar manufacturers mount their roo bars off the same chassis mount positions & in the same way?.

That bar would have to have been engineer certified...surely?

Does raise quite a few questions tho, doesn't it!.

Utes that bend chassis and cruisers that crack chassis - whats this world coming too - cars made from recycled sardine cans and steel made from case hardened plasticine? :rolleyes:

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 29th, 2015, 7:46 pm

Shann, they don't case harden the plasticine, it's just snap frozen!! :eek:

As for writing off, various States are coming up with all sorts of innovative ways to stop cars being re-birthed, & these days many vehicles that could be repaired readily are considered Statutory Write-Offs due to where they've been damaged &/or how much it'll cost to repair them.... And some States will simply NOT allow re-registration of a vehicle that's ever been written off, regardless of the reason/type of write-off!! In many ways you are luckier over there in WA than you might think - besides all the other more obvious reasons anyway!! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » September 29th, 2015, 8:10 pm

I cant see any reason why that crack cannot be repaired. it doesn't require any more of the body or engine to be removed, could almost be done as it is there in the video , maybe remove the aircon parts and headlights. the crack doesn't extend longitudinally down the chassis, If that cost more than $5k i'd be surprised

4wd Hobbit
Been here a while

Unread post by 4wd Hobbit » September 29th, 2015, 9:29 pm

If the vehicle has not been in an accident and through the insurance process it will not be written off - it is not accident damage. If repair of the chassis is not practical - buy a new/second hand chassis.

Newelly1

Unread post by Newelly1 » September 29th, 2015, 10:08 pm

The bulbar manufacturer was contacted as well as Toyota, the car was fully covered under the new car warranty however they will not offer any form of support. An independent engineer was called to do an assessment and yes while the car can be driven it is unusable as a tow vehicle (my uncle is an avid caravaner) as well as being susceptible to further cracking on rougher terrain , it is not possible to use a bulbar any longer either. They have really just been left hung out to dry by both toyota and Ironman. Was just wondering whether anyone else had experienced inadequate welding in the chassis and/or undercarriage or any form of damage such as this. In reply to a comment previously also.... Welding has not been offered as an option to fix this.

Newelly1

Unread post by Newelly1 » September 29th, 2015, 10:12 pm

Thanks heaps, please keep the feedback coming in guys.... Appreciate it

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » September 30th, 2015, 8:43 pm

I believe it CAN be welded to repair to as new strength, but that would not necessarily be enough to refit a 90kg bulbar & winch. Those brackets were never strong enough to handle the loads of that weight suspended 300mm out from the chassis mount. you don't have to be an engineer to see that. So the designers of the bull bar should have been able to determine that also, and made alternative mounting points which could incorporate those as well as other places on the chassis. Those mounts are just plain poorly designed, no wonder they don't want to be responsible, As for Toyota, they designed that mount to hold a bumper bar, and that's about it. Perhaps they should have given a load rating on those mounts, to limit liability in just such cases as this.
Just one thing tho, how is a couple of cracks at the FRONT bumper mounts affect the towing capacity? . . any engineers on here care to explain this to us?
In any event, Newelly1, I hope your uncle gets it sorted quickly mate, the stress of dealing with something this expensive is not good for the health.

Newelly1

Unread post by Newelly1 » October 2nd, 2015, 1:59 pm

Cheers mate, yes we are hopeful it will get sorted soon, these things tend to be quite stressful

Newelly1

Unread post by Newelly1 » October 2nd, 2015, 6:51 pm

One reason why Toyota would not come to the floor with this was that they had 'noted that the car had been taken across rough roads'..... If this voids a warranty why the hell would anyone buy a 4wd least of all a landcruiser?!?!?!

4wd Hobbit
Been here a while

Unread post by 4wd Hobbit » October 2nd, 2015, 11:24 pm

That is why we have Consumer law so sort out such nonsense - law requires the vehicle to be fit for purpose.

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » October 3rd, 2015, 12:27 am

Same goes for Ironman re: consumer laws.

Its less likely a Toyota issue though, as the bar itself is also cracked. Whats the chances something has happened awhile back and the bar has cracked and over time its vibration and added flex has added to the stresses on the rest?

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » October 3rd, 2015, 9:44 am

It really isn't Toyota's problem, unless they supplied the bar and winch as well. The chassis ends are more than adequate for the load that they were designed to take.

Strapping an extra 50-90kg that sticks out nearly 2 foot on the other hand...

Your complaint should be with Ironman, they are the ones that took the Toyota design and figured they could strap the extra weight onto the front with no additional bracing. This might be fine for a vehicle that just motors around the suburbs, but not so much for one that actually goes off road. This is where the 'Fit For Purpose' clause will apply. If you can't actually fit a winch to a winch bar or drive a vehicle over rough roads with a bull bar fitted, then they aren't really fit for purpose are they.

The mounting system is to blame, blind Freddy can see that. It is a lazy design and poorly engineered.

Newelly1

Unread post by Newelly1 » October 3rd, 2015, 11:40 am

Thanks guys, both Ironman and Toyota don't want to take the blame, I will take the consumer law idea to my uncle though, something might be able to be done through that, cheers guys

4wd Hobbit
Been here a while

Unread post by 4wd Hobbit » October 3rd, 2015, 12:46 pm

There really has got to be more to this - there are plenty of 200 series running around with big heavy bars (including Ironman) on the front that are not suffering cracks. My brothers 3 month old 2014 200 series Sahara suffered sagged front springs but was fixed with a good set of aftermarket springs.

His previous 100 series suffered cracks in the chassis around the front IFS which was relatively common but fixable but does not seem to be an issue on the 200 series until now.

There has got to be something else going on here.

Please chime in here if you have heard of other 200 series suffering this chassis cracking issue.

Return to “Toyota”