Toyota Landcruiser help advice needed

All your Toyota Tech questions & answers
Dark triton
Here and there

Toyota Landcruiser help advice needed

Unread post by Dark triton » July 22nd, 2015, 4:18 pm

Hi everyone. Iv just moved to nsw from qld. After doing the trip down here many times befor. I went shopping in broken hill and on the way home hit my first ever roo. And well my 4x4 97 triton has seen its last days rip. So now i can finally get a real 4x4 as been in the plans for the last 2 years. Im a single parent of 3 children age 5 to 7 and they love camping and 4x4 driving. So im looking at landcrusicer wagon for us to drive everyday and a weekend get away. Iv got about 4000 saved and have just got aproved for 14 000 loan. So iv been looking at 100 series. This is where i need advice on what sort of 4x4 im can get and what to look for in them. Am i best getting a 100 or 80 series. And im thinking 4.2lt 6 cyl desiel manual. Want somthing with good inside as indont really like they older style. So what dose every one think or recommend to shoot for?
All so what kinda mods can i aim for the vehicle to all ready have one it. Iv got 60ltr fridge for us at crissy time. So ill def want to have dual bat set up. Other things like roof racks, side steps, snorkel, bullbar, long range tank. Would i be able to find one in my price rang or best off adding them on later.
Thanks for any help or pointers you can give me.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Re: Toyota landcrusicer help advice needed

Unread post by Shann Low » July 22nd, 2015, 4:46 pm

The 100 series 4.2 T/diesel cruiser - had only the one known mechanical shortcoming... its a 24 valve engine, 2 inlets and 2 outlets valves for each cylinder.

They can have a tendency to drop a valve into the cylinder, if you don't keep an eye on the valve train, the collets that hold the valve to the valve spring have been known to come out - usually one half first - and they start to tick a bit, but if/when the second collet comes out - well the valve drops into the cylinder and its good night Irene for the engine.

IF you have the valve lash correctly set / adjusted... and get it checked immediately you hear any sort of top end ticking... they should go essentially for ever, if everything else is serviced maintained etc. Avoid revving the crap out of them is the thing.

The LCOOL forums have people who know cruisers 'inside out'.

Very capable vehicle offroad - but they aren't cheap to maintain and run, nor to "option up" with aftermarket accessories.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Dark triton
Here and there

Unread post by Dark triton » July 22nd, 2015, 5:06 pm

Thanks mate. Have u got a recommendation to aim for. Im open to suggestions :)

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » July 22nd, 2015, 5:40 pm

100's are more comfortable them 105's but less of a 'real 4wd' due to the IFS, that said unless you plan on anything extreme the 100s are great. the manual turbo diesels are great but I agree with above get it checked and keep it serviced.

they arent cheap and never will be but there are some good buys around, whatever yoiu do if you dont know 4wds that well before you buy get it checked over by a good 4wd mechanic.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » July 22nd, 2015, 8:03 pm

get it checked over by a good 4wd mechanic.
^^^^Ditto this, probably the best advice given yet! :thumb:

If it were me, I'd be aiming at the latest model 100 series I could get for your budget around ~$18K by the sound of it!.
I would want the manual TDiesel. The IFS wouldn't worry me coz I am not into hard core offroad 4wding.
I would want as low KM's I could get for my $$$
If I couldn't get a manual - then an Auto would be my next choice, if it ticked all the other boxes!.
I would want to add in trans cooler and in line filter for a auto with a temp gauge to monitor auto trans fluids.
I'd fit a long ranger tank under the back where the spare wheel goes and add a double swing away rear spare wheel carriers & keep the standard 90 liter tank under the floor as well.
I'd fit a ~70liter LPG Diesel gas tank underneath as well, http://www.dieselgasaustralia.com.au/
Heavier coil springs and new shocks all round to take the added weight.
That would give you about 3000km's between fills! :thumb:
I'd also want a Safari intercooler. http://www.safarisnorkel.com/turbo/turbo_product.htm
With all of that - you'd put out about the same RWHP out of the 6 cyl 4.2 TD - as a Chev 6.5 Brunswick diesel conversion at less weight!. ;)
But you won't do all that for your $18K... probably add another $10K... :cool:
You can plow as much $ as you want into a 100 series... & you'll never get any of it back! :lol:
OMMV

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » July 22nd, 2015, 10:24 pm

Now id go the other way, I wouldnt touch anything under the bonnet, leave the enigne 100% stock and it will be much more reliable.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » July 22nd, 2015, 11:29 pm

Yeah that would work too, and it would be the sensible thing to do as well!

But wheres the 'fun' in that? ;)

Lifes to be lived... you only go round once!. :lol:

Dark triton
Here and there

Unread post by Dark triton » July 25th, 2015, 1:52 am

Shann Low

Yeah lots of money could be spent but dont i dont have to much spare to sink in to it. Cars and woman go hand in hand, both u never get your money back lol

Dark triton
Here and there

Unread post by Dark triton » July 25th, 2015, 1:56 am

Well iv found one im gonna look at mid next week. Not sure if a 2000 or 2002. But has most the eaxtras im looking for, camping wise.
13000 is the price a machines own 4x4 one of many he has. Its got 312000 ks 12 months nsw rego just put on it a few days ago. And everything just been all checked and is a1 mec wise. What you guys think for that price. O and its a gxl 6 cyl desiel non turbo.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Toyota Landcruiser help advice needed

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 25th, 2015, 9:03 am

Unless it's been checked over by someone YOU have asked & paid to look at it & tell you what's WRONG with it, it hasn't been checked over properly!! :( Who did the last check? A bloke the owner asked to make it ONLY as good as it had to be in order to sell it on to some schmuck?? Or a bloke who was seriously looking to identify any issues or potential issues in the vehicle, & fix any potential problems that might come up in the next 5000 km?? Or 20,000 km? Or was it just someone who owns it & fixed the things that bothered him & were cheap enough to do without hurting the potential profit on selling or just someone asked to do something in between those extremes? You don't know, & you are not likely to find out unless you are silly enough to buy it without getting your 'own' check done on it, preferably by someone who's NOT the bloke who checked it over for the seller or a bloke recommended by him (ie, one of his mates) cos cynical as it may be, you just don't know what the deal is there, & sadly, you'll generally only find out if or when something expensive fails, something that could've/should've been picked up by a proper check done by someone looking at the vehicle with YOUR interests in mind before you bought the thing!

And cos it's a diesel, when you arrange to get it checked, ask for a compression test & a leak down test - good results on those tests teamed with easy starts every time & little oil use between scheduled changes suggest the engine & block/head are well up for the next 100,000 km; while poor result on either, hard starting ever (hot or cold), or the use of more than about 1 litre of oil between scheduled changes suggests you might not want to invest in that vehicle, at least not unless you can knock 10K off the price to cover the likely need for an engine re-build!! :eek: Good results, easy starts, & low or no oil use won't necessarily mean the engine is in immaculate condition & absolutely nothing will ever go wrong with it, but it's far more likely to be OK with good results & while you might still need to spend money on injection system issues, the cooling system, or the anciliary bits like alt, etc, or elsewhere on the vehicle/running gear/driveline, an engine rebuild on a diesel can be in the tens of thousands of dollars cost realm - so spending $200 or so on getting those tests/inspection done if it makes it far less likely you'll need to spend $10k plus or hafta scrap the vehicle only makes good sense to me!! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » July 25th, 2015, 10:35 am

Some people buy the non turbo models and regret it. They are slugs without a turbo.

And they think a after market bolt on turbo kit will fix it - and to some extent it does.

The factory turbo engines have a oil hole in top of the con rods - that sprays sump oil under pressure from the oil pump and oil galleries - up under the crown of the piston, to help keep combustion temps down, which the non turbo models didn't have.

If you just bolt a after market turbo on - then the risk is that you will get her too hot and deform/ melt pistons if your not consciously monitoring exhaust gas temps all the time & backing OFF the loud pedal when things get warm.

Youd be far better off with a factory turbo model.

That said Tojo stopped making a factory turbo model somewhere in the 100 series line up for a couple / few years.

That could make finding a good one tougher.

But if it were me I wouldn't have one without factory turbo...

Dark triton
Here and there

Unread post by Dark triton » July 25th, 2015, 8:34 pm

Hmm yeah a turbo will cost a fair bit on the budget. What year would i be looking at for a turbo. Maybe a slower non turbo will save points on my licence lol. But i do want to tow a camper trailer for when we go camping. Other then that it will be my daily drive. That said would it be better to go with or with out a turbo for wear and tear and fuel wise ?
And thanks for the replies this will be my first desiel car. So iv been reading up on here trying to learn as much as i can. And thanks for the good advise so far. :)

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » July 25th, 2015, 10:23 pm

I can't remember what years they quit making the factory turbo in the 100 series.

My only experience was a 80 series T/diesel, I went looking to upgrade to a 100 series at one point and the local Tojo yard couldn't supply a 100 series with the turbo...so I kept the 80 series.

Then later I saw some of the last 100 series models had the factory turbo again - a LOT of potential buyers like me walked away from the 100 series non turbos. I think round the same time Nissan brought out their 4 cyl wagon with the hand grenade engine and they were selling them cheap and many tojo customers changed camps, so tojo saw the error of their ways and brought back the factory turbo models towards the end of the 100 series model run.

If no one here knows the exact answer, then the cruiser guys over at LCOOL forums will know. (Land Cruiser Owners On Line) http://www.lcool.org/forum/

Long time since I posted there - just another of the legion of 4wd forums that I am banned from! :lol:

Dark triton
Here and there

Unread post by Dark triton » July 27th, 2015, 4:03 pm

Well this weekend im going to look at a 2000 non turbo.
Should i be looking at non turbo or am i wasting my time?

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » July 27th, 2015, 4:26 pm

Take it for a drive and see how it feels.

I drive a NA 2H 3 ton vehicle every day and I dont have a problem, but if you get in it and it feels like a slug then go looking at TD models.

Return to “Toyota”