4runner -can a/mkt remote lock fob be used for rear window?

All your Toyota Tech questions & answers
tree101
Here and there

4runner -can a/mkt remote lock fob be used for rear window?

Unread post by tree101 » June 21st, 2015, 3:39 pm

i know the title probably isn't clear. basically my 4runner doesnt currently have central locking in it, now i was looking on ebay and found remote central locking kits for under $30, some of these kits also have extra buttons and outputs on the remote. from this i started wondering if i could hook it up so that 2 of the buttons would allow me to put the rear window up and down. from the diagrams and concepts ive looked at it seems possible but i havent seen anyone do it so i figured id ask whether it would work, and any specific requirements id also need

thanks for any help, my 4runner is a 94 model if that has any effect

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Re: 4runner -can a/mkt remote lock fob be used for rear wind

Unread post by typhoeus » June 21st, 2015, 11:33 pm

is the rear window electric then?

tree101
Here and there

Unread post by tree101 » June 22nd, 2015, 10:23 am

yeah typhoeus, the rear window is electric with a switch for it at the front of the car and it can also be controlled by using the key in rear door

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » June 22nd, 2015, 7:40 pm

does the window continue to fully open/close when you release the button? if so then its easy to provide power from the lock kit to trigger the activation from the boot opening circuit. If the window does not have the function of continuing to open/close, you will have to find a way of providing power for more that the 1 second or so required to activate the lock mechanism. That will be a little more tricky

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » June 22nd, 2015, 9:43 pm

Yep should be easy enough to do if you are happy to play with wires and relays but as mentioned you will need some form of timer circuit to make it go auto up and down. Alternatively if you bought the right remote you might be able to do some form of press and hold or latching so you have to push again to stop but that could be dangerous if you forget..

If you tap into the switch in the centre console there is probably some protection against putting it up or down too far but even then it might over complicated the system..
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

tree101
Here and there

Unread post by tree101 » June 25th, 2015, 2:23 pm

ok, thanks guys, you have given me a few thing to look at with it, itll probably be a little while till i work on this little project but ill see what happens, thanks again

Return to “Toyota”