4x4 not working

All your Toyota Tech questions & answers
Breto81
I'm new, be nice!

4x4 not working

Unread post by Breto81 » January 24th, 2015, 10:49 am

Hi. I have a 2002 Hilux SR5 2.7l petrol. I've suspected for a while that the 4x4 hasn't been working properly, as I've got bogged in situations I normally wouldn't and it struggles on hills that it shouldn't. Whilst climbing a hill yesterday my mate noticed only the rear wheels were spinning even though it was in 4x4. The 4x4 dash light hasn't worked for quite a while and I hound a vacumn hose detached which I fixed. It's ADD not manual lockable hubs. When I put it in L4 it revs like it should in L4. Last night I put it up on stands to see if all wheels are spinning, which they are.... BUT....... I can stop the front wheels easily with my hand whilst the other 3 keep spinning. That seems like a major problem to me, hopefully not. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: 4x4 not working

Unread post by mydmax » January 24th, 2015, 12:06 pm

If it has open diffs then it is only a 2 wheel drive at best.
Because of differential action if all is correct, even with an LSD rear, the two back wheels will be driving in free air and you can stop one wheel by hand as the differential at the front merely directs power to the free wheel.

it sounds like your vacuum hose was the culprit and you do have drive to both diffs and so it should be ok.

Manual lockable hubs when locked in are the same as the normal fixed hubs and the ADD still works as normal.

Return to “Toyota”