Timing Belt Replacement '02 Cruiser 1HD-FTE

All your Toyota Tech questions & answers
carties73
Here and there

Timing Belt Replacement '02 Cruiser 1HD-FTE

Unread post by carties73 » January 21st, 2015, 1:42 pm

Hi all, my '02 cruiser ute with the 1HD-FTE motor is about to click over 300k's so I'll be changing the timing belt.

A couple of other threads here have said to change the complete tensioner assembly too, as well as the idler pulley, correct? And what are peoples views on doing the water pump as well? I am reading on other forums that this should definitely be done too but would like to know everyones thoughts on that as well.

Are there any other bits and pieces that I should replace too that I haven't mentioned here?

Finally, are the Genuine Toyota parts (timing belt, tensioner, pully, water pump, etc) the only way to go or is there a better aftermarket option available? If the OEM Toyota parts are the best then so be it, but surely someone else makes a superior product for less money?

Thanks for the help...

Matt

Jimmy Wood
Avid Poster

Re: Timing Belt Replacement '02 Cruiser 1HD-FTE

Unread post by Jimmy Wood » January 21st, 2015, 2:25 pm

Id definitely do the tensioner and idler. We always did them on the station and never had a problem if all parts are replaced.

As for the water pump, never had a problem with them, and if not leaking, and no play in bearing, its probably ok.

Id also only use genuine parts for that car. Most non gen bits for cruisers are not as good. Eg made in China to lower specs. They may be cheaper, but are you willing to risk a 4K engine rebuild on a few bucks.

The genuine belt and tensioner DEFINATLEY lasts 150K, so Id just use it. The non gen may not, and if it fails, your are a bit stuck. Same for water pump, Use the genuine one if you replace it.
Hope that helps.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » January 21st, 2015, 8:52 pm

Not long replaced everything using Terrain Tamer parts so will find out if any good.

Terrain Tamer is the only other supplier I use for this type of replacement parts for two reasons.

First is cause I have never had a problem with any of their parts when I owned my 60 series.

And second cause the 100 series has been discontinued for more than 5 years now so even though you buy genuine there is no guarantee it is made by Toyota, just approved & packaged by Toyota , so it maybe coming from the same factory which makes both brands. I found this out from Toyota when questioning a genuine Toyota part for the 60 series.

Cheers TLC60S

carties73
Here and there

Unread post by carties73 » January 29th, 2015, 2:19 pm

Thanks for the info fellas, much appreciated. I wil be calling Toyota later on today and get these parts posted out asap.

Regards,

Matt

Return to “Toyota”