Land Cruiser 70 Series over heating

All your Toyota Tech questions & answers
LC79Series
I'm new, be nice!

Land Cruiser 70 Series over heating

Unread post by LC79Series » April 8th, 2014, 10:29 am

Ive got 12,000 km's on my new 79 Series dual cab cruiser. Ive had combustion gases leaking into radiator. I'm wondering if anyone else is having similar issues and what steps were taken to resolve the problem. My car is under warranty and Toyota don't want anything to do with it.

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Re: Land Cruiser 70 Series over heating

Unread post by BTFIVO » April 8th, 2014, 9:14 pm

You had better make Toyota have everything to do with it. If you are experiencing overheating and have combustion gas in the radiator fluid it can pretty well mean only 1 thing. Head gasket or cracked head. The only thing to do is get them to undertake inspection. If they will not then contact consumer affairs/Department of fair trading. My mate had a similar issue with his Navara where the issue ended up being a snapped head stud. Nissan didn't want anything to do with it so he had to get an independent Engineer to pull the engine down and study it/run a detailed report into what they found and the cause of. He came out on top where the fault was evident from manufacture and Nissan was ordered to pay for a new engine plus the court, legal and engineers fees. He had no vehicle for about 6 months but was necessary in order to get Nissan to pay up.

Sorry if you didn't want to hear that but it is how far it can and will go if they play "hard-ball". But first get all the proof you have, maybe get a couple of other diesel techs to run diagnostics so you have some hard factual evidence, consult multiple Toyota Dealerships and take it from there. Next get consumer affairs involved and finally you may just need to go down the legal road. But it being a new vehicle with only 12,000klms they should be trying to fix it up straight away.

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » April 11th, 2014, 10:22 pm

I don't know why a toyota dealer would turn away a possible legitimate warranty issue/claim. They are being paid by toyota to fix/repair the issue if its legit and not some dodgy business that toyota will reject and the dealer won't be paid for. When I worked at toyota in adelaide my boss loved warranty stuff, it was easy money.

Get onto your regional tmca rep and let them know and see what they suggest.

LC79Series
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by LC79Series » April 13th, 2014, 10:08 am

Yeah i have been onto both toyota australia toyota dealer where i bought the vehicle and local dealer.
they have come back blaming bull bar and spot light accessaries so will be going to them about this as they are designed to meet manufactured specification requirements.
the vehicles is business vehicle on a loan so its been 2 months down for out of town work were i have not been able to take a crew almost want to cancel the repayments and drop the vehicle in there deregister the vehicle and tell them to keep it.

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » April 13th, 2014, 11:53 am

Yep get written statements from the bullbar manufactuer stating that thier products do no cause engine failure. Then go to consumer affairs and totally shut them down. You have to work pretty fast though so they know you are serious and actually do something about it. My previous post is what will be necessary to force them to do their job. They need to be threatened sadly to get off their asses and support their warranties. What a load of bull$h!t.. bullbar and lights causing cooling system failure. If Toyota ever try that with me I will drop the vehicle off in the front main entrance and walk away with the keys until they are ready to negotiate. That's just diety business. Get ready for a ride mate because you need to be prepared to go through the whole procedure mentioned if you want it fixed. Claim for loss of wages and hire cars as well.

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » May 6th, 2014, 9:22 pm

What sort of bull bar and spotties do you have fitted?

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » May 6th, 2014, 9:46 pm

LC79Series
Take pictures of similarly equipped vehicles which are running around without overheating issues.
Many on the forum may be able to give you a picture of theirs, so then you will have a reason why the bar and lights isn't the issue.
For it to be the problem, the vehicle would have had to have been getting hot or really hot many times beforehand as an indicator something is wrong. It wouldn't just get hot once. If it has been hot a few times then accessories can attribute to the issue.

Also ask the dealer, who is the person at Toyota they are dealing with, and also ask for that persons official position in the company and get their company employee ID number.
Until you have that info, all you know is the dealer is telling you words, and the response from the Toyota person may be a pre arranged BLIND to fool you. The dealer may not be communicating realistically with Toyota at all and fobbing you off.

Dealers try and hide it because they look bad in the eyes of the company, if they can get you to go away, then they win with no work. They are extremely practiced at doing just that. Their whole word revolves around deceiving customers, until the customer takes it further, then they can pedal a bike backwards.

Return to “Toyota”