Toyota Tundra in Australia

All your Toyota Tech questions & answers
tabmow68
Getting to know the place

Toyota Tundra in Australia

Unread post by tabmow68 » October 25th, 2012, 12:25 pm

I saw a property developer around the road the other day in a brand new, right-hand drive Toyota Tundra 4x4 with 5.7l V8 diesel motor, dual cab. Looked very nice but I can't find any info from Toyota Australia as to whether this is a proper import or a private import from somewhere else. I'd love to know how I could get hold of one.

Interestingly, from the US Toyota site, we played around and specced up one and the cost was going to be under US$40k. How can it be so cheap compared to prices here?

Tabmow68

ERASER
Need to get out more

Re: Toyota Tundra in Australia

Unread post by ERASER » October 25th, 2012, 12:30 pm

over here converted to right hand drive they are around the 120k mark, probably why it was a property developer driving it....
my lux is only good for driving through puddles and i dont know anything.........
My Hilux

D1cko
Part of the furniture

Unread post by D1cko » July 11th, 2015, 10:19 pm

do they have a diesel in them now?

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » July 11th, 2015, 10:59 pm

A major reason is volume. They might sell to .1% of the population, but when that population is 300 million theres more sold to make less money on each and still make good money. That and competition, US buyers like their Ford, Dodge and GM trucks. Helping with volume sales too would be cheap fuel prices help sales. Wages here are fairly high so theres upward pressure on prices, while the US is recovering from economic woes so profit margins are likely smaller anyway to encourage sales too.

I did read that the V8 petrol Patrol has had nearly 30 grand knocked off its price because they arent selling here, likely fuel consumption related. Gives an indication of the probable mark up.

vk3aif
Been here a while

Unread post by vk3aif » July 12th, 2015, 11:48 pm

I saw a heap of them when I was in perth last weekend both on the road and on car transporters. I dunno any more than that though, it may be a WA/ mining thing?

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » July 13th, 2015, 12:47 am

It helps to remember that essentially car manufacturing in Australia is dead!

Toyota, Ford and GMH, all have decided that its time to wind it up!.

So ALL of our vehicle needs will be coming in from Japan and USA (Korea China etc) in future!

They will start (if they haven't already) making these things in RH drive configuration for down under and other markets!

I already registered with Ford to get notified the moment the new "Falcon Replacement" Ford Mustang ex USA in RH Drive lobs in at the local dealers! Sposed to be July 2015 (i.e. NOW).

So the manufacturers (Probably Tojo as well) will look to bringing the Tundra's etc into Oz.. built in RH drive most likely if they aren't already!

Things are going to change a LOT in terms of 'vehicle choice' and a lot sooner than most of us realize - as a result of the big changes our Fed govt have committed us too - which will force us to choose only foreign imports from now on.

IF our was clever they would convert the entire country to driving on the RIGHT side of the road across the nation & we could bring in LH drive vehicles from any nation with no need for RHD conversions.

It only makes sense to do trucks as well - everything LHDrive!

Roads etc stay the same - we just swap to driving like the Yanks on the opposite side of the road on a given official "changeover" day!. :eek: :D

Think of the "Range" vehicles we could buy and use...

There would be a lot of advantages!

BUT

We'd have to redesign the shopping center car park spaces sizing! :lol:

Return to “Toyota”