Loud Ticking noise - what could it be?

From four-bangers to dirty great V8s, get your petrol tech here
Noel69
I'm new, be nice!

Loud Ticking noise - what could it be?

Unread post by Noel69 » October 23rd, 2015, 10:19 am

I have a 2003 UZJ100 V8 cruiser which has developed a loud ticking noise from I think the R/H/R of the engine after going through 1 of several large puddles. I have done a valve lash and compression check and both seem ok (with-in spec) I have removed the right hand cam shafts and lifters. I could find no visual fault with either the cam shafts or lifters (solid lifters)
I Believe that it maybe a lifter but not sure. What happens to a lifter to make it faulty?? as they are not hydraulic lifters. ( fed up with people saying "oh you've done a lifter")
What else could be causing the noise?
I have replaced the timing belt tensioner.
Can i check the valve lash with the engine running by placing the feeler gauge under the cam lobe to see if the noise stops to pin point the one at fault?

Starting to think i may have a bent valve.

Any info would be great

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Loud Ticking noise - what could it be?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 23rd, 2015, 10:58 am

Is there ANY chance at all that the engine sucked in as little as half a teaspoonful of water (or liquid mud)?? I don't know those engines well enough to be sure which cylinder is closest & first in line for anything coming thru the air intake plenum, but if you have a paper element (or a dry/not recently serviced 'oil-filled foam' element) then even a reasonable 'spray' of water/mud getting sucked in can cause that sort of damage to one valve &/or lifter - & back in the days before snorkels were readily available, we used to see it fairly often, funnily enough, more often on engines with solid lifters rather than hydraulic lifters..... :(

Water getting in doesn't necessarily hafta come thru the air cleaner either - a poor seal on the snorkel anywhere, a dodgy inlet manifold gasket or sensor plug, leaky joints on the hoses/tubes between the air filter & the manifold, or even just a dirty or old 'duck-bill' style dust release valve on the bottom of the air cleaner barrel can let water in.... And if you are driving thru puddles fast enough to splash or spray water out from the wheels at all, let alone in those speccy sprays that many luuuurve to take pics/vids of & post up on YouTube etc, that can blast high pressure water or muck all over the engine compartment & even straight thru otherwise sealed joints & gaskets designed to keep oil & pressure IN, not water travelling at a couple of hundred kph out (& yes, if it's splashing or spraying out from your wheels, the water spray CAN be travelling that fast or even faster!! :eek: )

IF the noise is actually coming from inside the engine, it does sorta sound like it could be a bent valve; but even at idle they do tend to sound like a fairly fast & rev speed related tic,tic,tic rattle (or worse, a clunk,clunk,clunk at 3000+ rpm!!) If it's not that fast, you might want to check things like the alternator, A/c compressor, all the pulleys &/or belts under the bonnet (a stone or nick embedded in one of the belts or pulleys maybe?) or possibly even further afield - car noises are renowned for echo-ing & reverberating all around the place, & often a noise that you'd swear was under the bonnet ends up being a wheel or gearbox bearing, or something else under the car/at the other end.

One way of helping localise the noise is to use a 'mechanic's' stethoscope, or if you don't have one, a long handled screw driver - put the pointy end where you suspect the noise is coming from & the other/handle end to (or on the bone just behind) your ear & listen; then move the pointy end to something else & compare the noise.... You can usually localise engine noises fairly closely, but trying to localise it like that for wheel bearings that only make a bad noise while you are moving/driving isn't something I'd recommend trying! :p

Good luck!

Ps, Welcome to the Forum, just sorry it had to be for something like this!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Noel69
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Noel69 » October 23rd, 2015, 11:39 am

Thanks for the info Peter.
I have used a stethoscope and the noise resonates over the whole engine. If i can wok out how to upload a video you can hear it very clearly.
The engine stalled as i came out of the puddle and when i tried to start it it wouldnt turn at all. i tried this twice and let it sit for about a minute. When it started there was a heap of steam come out the exhaust and the ticking started.
I am almost certain it is a bent valve but thought I would try gt some ideas before removing the head.
The ticking is there as soon as i start it and goes with the engine RPM.

Cheers

Like the site by the way

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 23rd, 2015, 11:54 am

Ohh yeah, really sounds like you got water in at least one cylinder & have bent/broken something inside.... :(

Since water doesn't compress, getting as little as half a teaspoon full in there usually means bent or broken metal somewhere, & if you haven't lost compression, it probably means a bent valve or push rod; altho I guess a bent conrod isn't impossible either.... the fact that it runs at all could be considered quite surprising!!

Sorry, but I wouldn't be wasting too much time or money on hoping it's something else - put that effort into identifying where water could've got in, & working out how to stop it happening in the future!! If you don't have one already, a properly sealed snorkel with a 'water excluding head' like those sold by Safari or Donaldson would be a good start; as would ALWAYS driving slowly thru water more than an inch or so deep....

I hope the damage isn't too bad!!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

billyj
Part of the furniture

Unread post by billyj » November 9th, 2015, 8:22 pm

or much simpler an exhaust leak at the manifold or close to the engine can give a really annoying tick.
Spoonz4X4Brigade

Return to “Petrol Tech”