Nissan X-Trail Blowing Smoke

From four-bangers to dirty great V8s, get your petrol tech here
Torqued-Nut
Been here a while

Nissan X-Trail Blowing Smoke

Unread post by Torqued-Nut » May 17th, 2015, 3:07 pm

hey guys i just bought this X-Trail for a nice price and i think the car suits my needs, i knew about the smoke problem as i was sending out a SOS driving it down the street haha

now i cant tell what colour this smoke is, black,white or blue?

heres a pic of the spark plugs they look trashed but im doing a rebuild but need to work out a possible cause for the smoke,im nifty with mechanical skills just not problem solving, ran a compression test this morning cylinders were 125-135 PSI ionly have a ebay CTG but i went back and recheked the 135 PSI cylinder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1k94K5rwxw

Torqued-Nut
Been here a while

Re: Nissan X-Trail Blowing Smoke

Unread post by Torqued-Nut » May 17th, 2015, 3:34 pm

forgot to add the picture of the spark plugs

Jimmy Wood
Avid Poster

Unread post by Jimmy Wood » May 18th, 2015, 12:50 pm

Why cant you tell us the smoke colour? That is pretty much what will tell you what the problem is.

If its blue, its oil. Black, running rich.

Those plugs look a bit oily, Id say its oil, maybe valve stem seals or at worst, rings. I reckon rings looking at those compression readings. They are meant to be about 150 - 190 hey.

Torqued-Nut
Been here a while

Unread post by Torqued-Nut » May 18th, 2015, 12:56 pm

Jimmy thanks for the reply, my eye sight is pretty rooted mate so i cant really tell blue from white smoke but i did take a video if that helps?

compression is all within 10%of each other so i think the low reading is just down to my model of ebay compression tester

i just ran a leak down test and 3 cylinders came back as "low leak" the 4th came back as "medium leak" but was actually next to the "low leak" marking

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » May 18th, 2015, 3:10 pm

Looks like normal smoke to me - but i reckon they are probably the spark plugs it left the factory with.

How many km's on it?

New plugs and do all the usual oil and filters (including air filter) and see how she goes then!.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

Jimmy Wood
Avid Poster

Unread post by Jimmy Wood » May 18th, 2015, 4:01 pm

Just looked at the video.

It actually looks like steam to me hey - which is pretty normal for any petrol car when they are cold.

Take if for a spin to warm up the exhaust and see if it goes away.

I agree with Shann, if its just steam, and it don't burn oil, leave it alone till it does.

Torqued-Nut
Been here a while

Unread post by Torqued-Nut » May 18th, 2015, 5:47 pm

unfortunately it is oil guys, it has 250,000 on the engine, i removed the cam cover today and ill install new valve stem seals and see if the smoke goes away

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » May 18th, 2015, 6:20 pm

What engine oil do you use?
Even with the vale stem seals a bit crook it will burn some oil but the quality of the oil used will be critical at that distance.
Have you considered using a synthetic lubricant which will most likely minimize oil usage through valve stems seals AND worn oil rings too.

If what you use isn't a well recognized brand ie, world brand, then you may not be getting the full benefit which an oil can provide.

Return to “Petrol Tech”