22r timing

From four-bangers to dirty great V8s, get your petrol tech here
donny22r
I'm new, be nice!

22r timing

Unread post by donny22r » April 9th, 2015, 3:20 pm

I have replaced the timing chain, tensioner, sprockets and guides in my 1991 Toyota Hilux 22r.

The crankshaft timing marker was at 0, the camshaft mark was at 12 o clock, the distributor was at 10-11 o clock.

All these timings are the same with the new chain installed, however when I tried starting it sounded like the engine was working very hard to turn over and it didn't start.

I have tried turning over by hand and everything seems fine, when the timing markers are at TDC for cylinder 1 the rocker arms are loose as you would expect and the distributor is at the 10-11 oclock position.

I only tried starting for a few seconds as I didn't want to damage the engine, should I try again?

Is there anything I am missing here?

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Re: 22r timing

Unread post by typhoeus » April 9th, 2015, 7:28 pm

try rotating the dizzy in the direction the rotor turns a little, see if that helps. sounds like the timing is advanced. Also, make sure the plug leads are in the right places. The rotor should be pointing to the place on the cap where No 1 lead is attached. (The cap is marked with No1 on it) the next one is 3 then 4 & 2

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » April 9th, 2015, 9:19 pm

Yep, if you can get it to basically run, but just rough, loosen the dizzy off a touch and rotate it to advance or retard it , use a timing light to see what amount of advance / retard you get and see if it runs any better one way or the other , if its more than about 15-18 degrees you are likely out one tooth on the dizzy

You may have to rotate it a bit just to get it to start & run

having said that IIRC my little Hilux has I think a factory spec of about 4 or 5 degree below TDC yet It ran like a charm at 8-9 below TDC for most of its life.
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Jimmy Wood
Avid Poster

Unread post by Jimmy Wood » April 10th, 2015, 2:51 pm

Is your battery charged??? maybe that's why it was working hard to turn over.

One way I reset the timing on an old 202 holden motor after installing the dizzy was to put the engine in line with the timing mark, so 7 degrees BTDC or whatever it was so it was all ready to fire.

I pulled No1 lead off, and put a spark plug in it, and earthed it so could see the spark gap etc.
Then, with the dizzy loose, but with cap all buttoned up and ignition on, so ready to fire, I rotated the dizzy to a bit more retarded than it should have been, so the dizzy was sitting a bit in the direction of the way it rotates (such that if it were to fire there, it would be too late, so retarded timing).
Then, I slowly wound it forward (so wound the dizzy AGAINST the direction of the shaft rotation) till it sparked, as the points opened. That should have been about right. SO I tightened it up, then started it and all ok. It was close enough to start it.

Basically, you have to get it such that it will spark as the motor moves close to the right spot by hand, then you can adjust when running and warm to actual timing specs.

donny22r
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by donny22r » April 12th, 2015, 2:49 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the help.

The battery was flat so I was jumping from another car. I had the battery on charge last night, so I will give it another go today.

I had marked exactly where the distributor was with a paint pen, so that should be all right, tried moving it a tooth in either direction and it didn't look right. I have checked the leads and the cap. Will let you know how I go.

Edit:

All good now. It was just the battery. This is the first time If messed around with timing so I just wasn't sure. Just set the distributor back to the mark I had and the engine is running fine. Only problem now is a few rotten cooling hoses.

When I had the timing cover off I could see the gouges the chain made into the side, must have been 2 mm deep, the guide was completely broken.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » April 12th, 2015, 7:13 pm

all good then. She must've sounded like a tin can full of marbles if the chain was that bad!

Return to “Petrol Tech”