Cleaning engine bay on petrol v6 engine

From four-bangers to dirty great V8s, get your petrol tech here
antzbundy
I'm new, be nice!

Cleaning engine bay on petrol v6 engine

Unread post by antzbundy » March 18th, 2015, 10:37 pm

Hi guys.

I have a 120series prado on petrol..
I have been reading a few threads on water damage to petrol engines they are obviously not as water resistant as a diesel.. so im after some tips on how to water proof it to allow me to do some more deeper river crossings and how to clean the engine bay without doing any damage. Any help would be appriciated...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jimmy Wood
Avid Poster

Re: Cleaning engine bay on petrol v6 engine

Unread post by Jimmy Wood » March 19th, 2015, 10:27 am

I reckon you can clean it with water / soap / degreaser no worries. Just do it when its warm and take if for a short drive straight after as well to dry out all the remaining water.

And just don't point a pressure washer nozzle directly at an electrical component connection for too long.

As long as things can dry out (hence do it when warm and run it afterwards) it will be fine.

I doubt the actual components are less waterproof that on a diesel, however, the coils and ignition system will short if it gets too wet and you will loose spark until the leads dry off. Put a bit of Vaseline around the lead connections if your really worried, but they should seal up pretty well anyway. Just don't submerge it for too long.

Id say a diesel EFI injector will also fail if you submerge it for too long.

TheBlackbird
Been here a while

Unread post by TheBlackbird » March 19th, 2015, 11:51 pm

Keep the engine running while your cleaning
:fish:
1990 HJ75RV

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » April 5th, 2015, 8:28 am

I never use anything stronger than a garden hose to clean under bonnet. Make up for the lack of pressure with lots of good quality degreaser and scrubbing if necessary.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Return to “Petrol Tech”