Starting up an old 350 chev

From four-bangers to dirty great V8s, get your petrol tech here
krobbie
Been here a while

Starting up an old 350 chev

Unread post by krobbie » February 18th, 2015, 10:40 pm

Hi guys I am about to try and turn over my old 350 chev motor, it's been sitting there for about 3 years.

I know almost zero about motors unfortunately.

What should I do?

My plan is to drop the old oil and fuel and replace with new.

Pull the spark plugs and put a couple of drops of engine oil in each chamber.

Tick it over on the key and spray some car by cleaner in the carby.

Anything I'm missing or need to do before turning that key?

Thanks guys

Jimmy Wood
Avid Poster

Re: Starting up an old 350 chev

Unread post by Jimmy Wood » February 18th, 2015, 10:54 pm

Before I started it, and after changing the oil, Id take all the plugs out and run it over on the starter for a few mins to get the new oil circulating and get it all lubed up. Do it with one rocker cover off (or at least looking down the oil filler to see) until you can see oil at the rockers and all that. No doubt the oil pump is dry as are the bearings so starting it dry will not be good for it.

Wouldn't worry too much about the carby cleaner unless it needs it (carby cleaner isn't the best combustion mix). Just a bit of petrol down the carby throat will get it going, or aerostart if its a real bugger. Then let it warm up a bit before you give it heaps of beanz....

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » February 19th, 2015, 9:44 am

After making sure ALL is clean, get a fitting which screws into where the oil pressure sender screws in.

Completely fill a clean garden hose with clean oil. Fit end to engine fitting. Pressurize the hose with air pressure.
Air pressure forces oil through all engine parts and primes the system.Then crank it over with plugs out (sender in of course) and oil pressure should appear as normal. You can use an airline for the above, just need to wash out the hose afterwards.

If all is well then fit spark plugs and start it.

krobbie
Been here a while

Unread post by krobbie » February 21st, 2015, 10:22 am

Ok thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to give it a go this weekend

Cheer

krobbie
Been here a while

Unread post by krobbie » February 22nd, 2015, 4:37 pm

Ok guys,

I've got the starter cranking over but can't get a spark from the plugs.

Plugs and leads are relatively new.

Dizzy is spanking new (bought over a year ago and was sitting on the block) MSD

Any ideas why I don't have spark?

It only has a positive and a negative which are connected directly to the battery.

The coil has a number MSD29583. I've checked for diagram and it comes up with just a +&- like above.

Any ideas?

Cheers

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » February 22nd, 2015, 7:55 pm

Distributor not turning? Not being driven by cam gear. Have you checked.
Is the dizzy turning the correct direction? If electronic then it won't work if going wrong way.

Power may appear connected but flow of current isn't happening and therefore no coil energisation.
Coil is working but spark is shorting to negative, ie, earthing out through faulty lead or dirty dizzy cap.
Inside of cap is not clean and is conductive to earth, ie, shorting sparks being made.

Jimmy Wood
Avid Poster

Unread post by Jimmy Wood » February 24th, 2015, 8:34 pm

Hi mate

The coil should be connected through the dizzy, as the dizzy (either points or electronic) has to feed a pulsed current to the coil. The coil only makes a spark if the current is pulsed.

You can check the coil by putting a plug in the lead (which normally goes to top of dizzy) and feeding a pulsed current to it by touching one of the wires on and off the battery. Eg connect one side of coil directly to battery, and touch the other side of the coil onto the other terminal of the battery. You should get a spark when you touch it on and one when you touch it off.

Look at your wiring diagram to see if its the positive or negative which has to go through the istributor.

Also, sometimes the points weld themselves closed and don't break the current. THis will stop spark, and is caused by dodgy condenser, so if that's the case, replace the condenser.

You can check the whole circuit by again putting a plug in the top coil lead, and then, with the points closed, manually opening the points with a screwdriver with the dizzy cap off. You will get a spark when the points open and close.

Maybe points not adjusted to right gap so check that too.

Return to “Petrol Tech”