6g74 differences between paj and magna

From four-bangers to dirty great V8s, get your petrol tech here
Boof mk triton
Been here a while

6g74 differences between paj and magna

Unread post by Boof mk triton » January 28th, 2015, 7:46 pm

So a mate of mine has managed to destroy his crankshaft on his nm paj. Long story short, he got ripped off in this vehicle but his lack of knowledge didnt help his cause. Lesson learnt. He has entrusted myself with an engine swap. Funds being tight, i am looking at a magna 6g74 for this conversion - purely because of price, availability of parts, and in general just reliable as hell. Now i understand that their are fundamental differences in the make up of these (at least the th 3.5's) ie ignition set ups with one being dizzy one being ecu controlled coils, plenums, etc etc but am of the belief that its all interchangable. Can someone who has done this conversion? How much drama are changing the engine mounts between blocks as in are they the same block and cast and can i just bolt the paj ones the magna motor? Will the paj sump bolt to the magna motor? Will i be able to use the paj flex plate or will ot have to be custom (its auto)? Will the paj computer read the magna sensors or will i have to modify to suit? How much difference between the th and tj magna's motors (in regards to coil or dizzy setup - did the later ones change?) and is the later model motor more suited for the conversion?

Lotsa questions i know, but trying to work out the most cost effective way do it. Thanks heaps. In depth and prompt replies are appreciated, as he needs his car back pretty smartly. Cheers guys
Boof
Somewhere in a land downunder...

Mods: plenty
To do: plenty more

My camper build - viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153623

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Re: 6g74 differences between paj and magna

Unread post by Boof mk triton » January 28th, 2015, 9:40 pm

The other question that should be asked is should i just find a good crank get it cleaned up and rebuild the bottom end? Eyeing one off on ebay atm seems alright. Motor has gotta come out anyway so i guess its an option. From what i am lead to believe it was a strong motor apart from the harmonic balancer issue. 190 odd km on the dial. Cheers gents.
Boof
Somewhere in a land downunder...

Mods: plenty
To do: plenty more

My camper build - viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153623

cmar
Avid Poster

Re: 6g74 differences between paj and magna

Unread post by cmar » February 15th, 2015, 10:04 pm

Ah so the good old crank bolt design fault strikes again. Is the crank totally toast, is it possible to re-tap the thread out to a larger size maybe? From What I understand the full swap isn't too painful, you just have to swap all the East-west stuff for North -south stuff from the Pajero. Most of the bolt holes and bosses are already on the Magna motor, just noT used in FWD application.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Return to “Petrol Tech”