253 V8 Engine Rebuild?

From four-bangers to dirty great V8s, get your petrol tech here
SchmidtHead
Getting to know the place

253 V8 Engine Rebuild?

Unread post by SchmidtHead » April 1st, 2014, 11:57 am

G'day Everyone,
I live on North side of Brisbane and I've started stripping down a '74 CJ5 Jeep my missus inherited from her old man who passed away. We plan to do a ground up restoration as this thing has had a hard life.
In it sits a 253 Holden V8. We have no idea if it will turnover or run as there's no ignition wiring, some spark plugs are damaged and the fuel pump is missing.

Are there any decent mechanics or the like in the Brisbane area that you would recommend taking this engine into to have looked at? need to know if it's worth rebuilding or just purchasing a later model V8 to drop in.

Cheers!
Bren.

Bumpy
Been here a while

Re: 253 V8 Engine Rebuild?

Unread post by Bumpy » April 1st, 2014, 12:49 pm

give you a quick tip.
If it is a red motor try and remove the spark plugs. They have a tapered seat at the bottom of th plug and if they were installed without anti-sieze on the threads and taper then they may well snap off when they are being removed. You MAY get them out with an ezyout but highly unlikely. If that happens then the heads will have to come off. Try turning it over by hand. Have a look down the oil filler cap to see if there is a heap of sludge or fairly clean.

Cardy George
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Cardy George » April 1st, 2014, 1:34 pm

You can also check out http://www.aussiev8.com.au

They're not huge fans of the Little One, but they do have a section for the odd-ball conversions, they'll definitely know a good mechanic

SchmidtHead

Unread post by SchmidtHead » April 3rd, 2014, 12:12 pm

Thanks people. Yeah it's a red series. This is going to be one helluva resto job so all help is appreciated!

Thanks again.
Bren.

billyj
Part of the furniture

Unread post by billyj » April 10th, 2014, 8:36 pm

ill give the answer most mechanics will, bolt a 308 in, exactly the same on the outside just the 253 has a smaller bore, so you will get more power and torque for the same weight
Spoonz4X4Brigade

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » June 29th, 2014, 12:16 am

Me being me and being a stickler brand loyalty, personally ditch the holden imo. Jeeps as we all know came out of the Chrysler stable so my thinking would be one of two things.

1. Find yourself a 318 or a 360 out of the later model valiants if your dead set on the V8 idea. Most of the bits between these motors top ends are interchangeable, bucket loads of aftermarket gear for them if your prepared to look a bit harder than evilbay; rare spares have dead set got a full catalog on these things.

OR

2. (My personal favourite) find a 265 hemi, preferably for you a blue series pre ELB. These things make stonking amounts of torque standard and need not much more than a cam with a bit more lift and a touch of duration, a long runnered cain/lynx manifold with a 390/465 4 barrel holley, good extractors and exhaust and maybe a bit of a port match/clean up/polish in the head and fit roller rockers. Do this and the jeep will be flat staying on the ground :twisted: these things are dead set animals waiting to be unleashed and its fairly obvious why they have such a good rep amongst the car community. Longevity is also on their side, along with bugger all electrics.

I miss my val..... :(

Enjoy and good luck - would love to see the build. :)
Boof
Somewhere in a land downunder...

Mods: plenty
To do: plenty more

My camper build - viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153623

toyota80seriesv8
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by toyota80seriesv8 » August 2nd, 2014, 10:22 am

for the cost of rebuilding the 253 i personally would you use a 308, but if it is rego,ed with 253 to save on certifications (eng) find a 253 that u can test drive and test, can pick up 253,s dirt cheap.

SchmidtHead

Unread post by SchmidtHead » August 4th, 2014, 10:30 am

just seen these now - i've been busy! will get some pics up here soon. still just stripping everything off. Time is precious between working full time and with a little bubba! Thanks for the feedback peeps.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 4th, 2014, 12:08 pm

Bloody hell Boof, you really know how to make a fella hurt!! Even just reading your 'option 2' suggestion brings back a heap of memories, all good... but I miss too my val - gave it up for the kids!!

The 265's are a bloody fantastic engine, IMHO they are way better than any of the Chrysler V8's except maybe the 340 race spec version, & even with the ELB (if you have to go that way) they are still a bloody good choice for any Jeep re-engine task! They've got tonnes of torque down low; in fact, they've got tonnes of torque everywhere!! And with a vaguely careful right foot, they can also be far more economical than you'd ever expect from an engine that moves vehicles along so well!! :frog:

I guess the only issue for you SHead, is that if you go changing make &/or the capacity of the engine (again), even if you go for a Holden 308, then it will mean the vehicle hasta be approved (again); whereas if you stick with the Holden 253, it is already approved with one of them in there (isn't it?) & if the vehicle is/has ever been registered like that, then it won't be very hard to reco the engine & get the vehicle up & on the road again with legit rego & ins....Wwith a little care & no great expense, you could even just 're-co' the 253 block the 'right' way; ie, with the right crank, pistons, conrods, etc, you could end up with an engine that is just as good as any 308, probably even almost identical internally, & is also extremely hard to tell from just looking at it that it's not quite just a 253 in there anymore! :D

Not that I'd ever recommend or even suggest that anyone do something 'underhand' like that!! :sillywink:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

toy yoda

Unread post by toy yoda » August 4th, 2014, 11:43 pm

253 may not have power and torque of a 308 but its a far better engine.
253 does not overheat and glaze bores like a 308, block is stronger and most of all the lill 53 will rev like a *&^% all day long the 308 wont

run a 253 with the normal performance mods like a tq20 cam set of sg3 heads bit of porting and polishing, small rebore, pistons, change compression, decent manifold and carby . ( run straight gas more power and better emissions) goodelec ignition and they are a reliable little rocket,,,

Or do above but drop compression on it and find something to stuff the fresh air in quicker!!!
________________________www.loveday4x4adventures.com________________________
thanks to... APM Radiators.. DRW automatics..Boss Racing Diffs..Sprint Auto Parts.. Bob Jane Marion..Noarlunga refrigeration..J&S Suspension (et4wd)..Heinrich Performance Dyno..

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » August 6th, 2014, 12:28 am

Peter Aawen wrote:Bloody hell Boof, you really know how to make a fella hurt!! Even just reading your 'option 2' suggestion brings back a heap of memories, all good... but I miss too my val - gave it up for the kids!!

The 265's are a bloody fantastic engine, IMHO they are way better than any of the Chrysler V8's except maybe the 340 race spec version, & even with the ELB (if you have to go that way) they are still a bloody good choice for any Jeep re-engine task! They've got tonnes of torque down low; in fact, they've got tonnes of torque everywhere!! And with a vaguely careful right foot, they can also be far more economical than you'd ever expect from an engine that moves vehicles along so well!! :frog: :

My thoughts exactly :crazy:

In saying that the biggest issues with the 360 is the fact chrysler used most of its breathing gear from the 318 on it. 650 holley and a proper manifold along with a "proper" cam soon fixed its asthmatic tendencies. But still wouldnt it be interesting to see three webers hanging on the side of the hemi in the jeep.... Make for an interesting snorkel setup :lol: in any case I had a similar combo (a touch wilder maybe) as option two above, in a 75 vj ute, it use to run 13.1 @ 101mph over the quarter. With 2.75 borgy lsd in the rear :thumb: got it into third at about 300m mark...... Pretty sure the lad wont be running the quarter anytime soon though lol

Cant wait to see pics mr schmidt :D
Boof

SchmidtHead

Unread post by SchmidtHead » August 21st, 2014, 4:19 pm

Jeep 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SchmidtHead

Unread post by SchmidtHead » August 21st, 2014, 4:53 pm

I found these photo's in my emails. We since moved to Brisbane and actually have a garage now. I'll get some pic's of how she sits now, which is pretty bare. The body is just resting on the Chassis now and everything but the engine/box and wheels have been removed. I tried to turn the engine by hand using a socket and breaker bar and it wouldn't turn which i guess isn't a huge surprise considering it was sitting outside for a while before we got to it.

The plan is to strip it all the way back and have the chassis sand and soda blasted and repainted and then get the body looked at. I know a fabricator whos going to help me out putting in new floor pans. Not sure where i should go from there though..

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » August 23rd, 2014, 3:08 pm

Not a bad looking weapon at all mate. Very good place to ne starting a project from. Looking forward to more pics. Subscribed :)
Boof

SchmidtHead

Unread post by SchmidtHead » September 8th, 2014, 2:33 pm

Here's how she's sitting now. There's only two bolts holding the body on however they're pretty well rusted on. Will pick up a cutting disc for my grinder and cut them off. After body is removed i will remove gear box, engine and wheels and then will start getting prices for some cleaning up of the chassis and fab work for the body before deciding on what to do with the engine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Petrol Tech”