New motor using/losing oil - thinking fuel pump?? Ideas?

From four-bangers to dirty great V8s, get your petrol tech here
mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: New motor using/losing oil - thinking fuel pump?? Ideas?

Unread post by mydmax » December 30th, 2013, 10:03 pm

If detonation as Bala said, the timing has to closely match the fuel octane rating. If too low an octane then normal advance may be too much. Higher compression will/can cause detonation if the fuel isn't rated high enough.
Unfortunately, at speed detonation possibly isn't being heard IF happening and damage is happening.

With timing, it may be best to check when the crank is at TDC the timing reference mark is correct, have to do it with a piston stop 5mm down when winding the crank one way to the stop and then acw to the stop to get the REAL centre point of TDC. Should be exact of course.
Everyone never checks because they regard it as being not possible to be wrong. I have found some early imported Nissan engines to be marked 5 degrees wrong from factory. It actually made the timing retarded 5 degrees if set correctly by the marks. 3 workshops had set it correct to the marks and it wasn't.

Bala
Avid Poster

Unread post by Bala » December 31st, 2013, 9:43 am

I am not sure if you posted, but what brand are the pistons used?

if they are cheapies then that could be the problem as well.

You will need to be careful if not using the same pistons with regard to your piston clearance.

Dont rush to get this back on the road, you want it to be right this time.

Trav Man
Been here a while

Unread post by Trav Man » December 31st, 2013, 10:59 pm

BALA: The pistons on the inside are TAE that were supplied from Dandenong Rebores as they did all the machining and supplied the pistons, rings etc etc for my rebuild but I have been told from a few people I know that they have now shut up shop :purplex:
When I get the new slugs I'll be making sure the piston clearance is all good before proceeding and I'm be going over every thing about 10 times or more to ensure it's done 100% as I have the adjustable cam gear and getting the cam degree wheel and going to be REALY pedantic this time even more than normal as if it doesn't work out this time I'll just be doing a engine conversion instead :lol:
How hard is it to fit a D4D from a newer Hilux/Prado into this :rolleyes:
I am not the only one with this type of problem with rebuilding this type on engine thanks to Google as I'll read it again better tomorrow when I'm more sober :p
http://www.yotatech.com/f116/85-95-22r- ... ng-215113/

Bala
Avid Poster

Unread post by Bala » January 1st, 2014, 11:31 am

I read the first page of the link, but from what I see that is an oil consumption problem not a ring land breakage problem.

I have not looked at this but.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vniJ4PuKTFE
If an engine runs lean and get's too hot, it can easily make the rings swell and butt ends together. When this happens there is no place for them to move except up. When this happens it will break the ring lands. Here's an example

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » January 4th, 2014, 8:57 am

Just a thought, LPG has a higher octane rating than ULP, if the timing has been advanced to take advantage of the LPG it may be just too advanced for 91 or 95 ULP to run without detonation.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Trav Man
Been here a while

Unread post by Trav Man » January 11th, 2014, 1:20 am

It's ALIVE
New slugs and ring and back together and it's ALIVE again
Just got it all started and tuned up tonight and now to run it back in again on petrol
But all is good so far and will keep you all updated :D :D :D :D :D

Trav Man
Been here a while

Unread post by Trav Man » January 19th, 2014, 11:19 am

DAM IT I CAN"T WIN
Can I pick your brains again
I have another issue now as I thought it was the carby so I put a kit threw it and cleaned it but not it
When driving it beaks down about 3500rpm and when reving it gets to 3500rpm then bounces between 3000 and 3500 and occasionally it will rev out and this is all on petrol (as still running in) and I put it on gas just to check and it does it slightly but no where near as bad as on petrol. I'm thinking maybe dizzy something to do with the coil pickup but unsure.
I have checked the vacuum lines and they all are good and in the right place.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » January 19th, 2014, 12:44 pm

Are the peaks of the dist trigger poles clean and free of metallic particles? Any metallic fuzz will cause the spark to be not happening or at the wrong time.

Is the internals of the cap on the dist clean and free of dirt or any conductive matter?
Id there any evidence on HV tracking in the inside or even dirt or tracking between plug leads?

Are the plug leads separated so they cannot crossfire?

What grade fuel is it being fed?
The timing for gas won't be what the timing for petrol likes, so it is either one or the other unless you have a method of dropping the gas setting advance back to a petrol setting.

Is the break down an actual misfire or is it detonating (as before) and you just aren't hearing it?
Detonation is the sudden release of the fuel energy and feels like a misfire but it is causing intense heat and intense pressure but for an extremely short time and not a prolonged burn which is what pushes usually the piston down.

Jimmy Wood
Avid Poster

Unread post by Jimmy Wood » January 19th, 2014, 3:20 pm

It does sound like a timing thing ey. How is the timing set? Eg, as standard or a bit advanced for the gas.

I think gas likes more advanced timing and like Dmax said, it will ping like crazy if its too advanced and you run on petrol especially unleaded 91 octane stuff. Maybe try 98 octane and see if that helps.

Maybe the advance curve/mechanism is not right and at higher revs its too advanced but ok at idle.

Trav Man
Been here a while

Unread post by Trav Man » January 19th, 2014, 8:57 pm

I'm running 98 premium as the motor is now higher compression than standard and timing is set at 5 degrees BTC as running it at 8 makes it ping as I was told it would be because of the higher compression.
I just checked the vacume and it is at 50kpa.
When I say breakdown I mean it's like it hits a rev limiter as it gets to 3500rpm and its like it just cuts out :confused:
I'll check the dizzy poles tomorrow after work as the cap and rotor button are fine and clean as they're only about 10000kms old

Jimmy Wood
Avid Poster

Unread post by Jimmy Wood » January 19th, 2014, 9:47 pm

Coil breaking down??? That may do it at the higher revs. Ok with long dwell time (low revs), but as it gets faster it cannot make enough spark.

Trav Man
Been here a while

Unread post by Trav Man » January 20th, 2014, 7:13 pm

Well I have an adjustable cam gear in it and after going over it all properly the cam was out of alignment but one tooth and 4 degrees as it was on the correct timing marks but I put the gear adjustment at the settings that I was provided with from Dandy rebores when I originally rebuilt it.
All sorted now as I now have POWER :twisted:
Thanks again to everyone for your help.
Now lets see if the handbrake will let me back in the house :sillywink:

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » January 20th, 2014, 8:03 pm

That is good to hear.
All the best with the home coming. Just make sure you scrub all that crud off your hands first. Every little bit helps.
Cheers
mydmax

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » January 21st, 2014, 3:33 pm

You jad a bad run with that one Trav. good to hear it's sorted. Life is now back to what is more important now I hope... Enjoying it :-)

Trav Man
Been here a while

Unread post by Trav Man » January 21st, 2014, 8:24 pm

See how I go I'm going to try and get out on Monday with the family for a test run off road FINALY :D

Return to “Petrol Tech”