3f drama on fraser!

From four-bangers to dirty great V8s, get your petrol tech here
mrsparky
Getting to know the place

3f drama on fraser!

Unread post by mrsparky » August 31st, 2013, 5:25 pm

Hey all,
I'm in a bit of a pickle on fraser with my fj73. She was spluttering and coughing yesterday but I think that might have been due to water. I checked the dizzy (which is the electronic replacement only 2 weeks old), and it looks fine. Then I thought the air filter may have been full of crap so I checked that which was all ok.
This morning I started it and it idled fine for about an hour. Now this arvo I went to drive and when I started it idled fine, as soon as I reversed about 3m it spluttered and died. Checked all my leads which are ok I think.
Now on top of that when it starts it won't idle normally. It shoots up in the high rev range. It seems the throttle isn't returning back normally???
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Shane.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Re: 3f drama on fraser!

Unread post by typhoeus » August 31st, 2013, 6:09 pm

sounds like a fuel issue. check the filter, then make sure the pump is working ok, then make sure there is no crap in the float bowl. Not recommended to dismantle a carb on the beach, but if you are VERY careful, you can clean it out a bit, and then when you get home, do a thorough job.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » August 31st, 2013, 9:30 pm

mrsparky
Idles fine, but when you want some power and the main jet has to work any water in the bowl will suck into the main jet and cause it to splutter and do funny things.
Drain the bowl if you can, and get some metho for the tank so it will absorb the water as it goes through.
Water will mix with metho and metho with petrol but water and petrol don't. Using the metho makes a homogenised mix and allows it all to go through. Dump 2 or 3 litres of metho into a full tank or proportion thereof.

mydmax

mrsparky

Unread post by mrsparky » September 1st, 2013, 7:06 am

Thanks for the quick replys. Mydmax I will definitely look at the metho option once I can get it to start without revving its guts out.
Where the throttle cable joins up to the carb, when the pedal has nothing pushing on it the cable is clearly slack. Something is stopping the throttle returning fully? You can hold it closed and it runs fine. Any ideas on what might be restricting its movement?

Shane

mrsparky

Unread post by mrsparky » September 1st, 2013, 2:05 pm

Hey all just an update, I've got the idle rpm sorted. Now it's only missing and coughing under power. Im starting to think water has made its way in somewhere. Mydmax how long does it take for the water to work out of the system with the metho solution?
Cheers Shane

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » September 1st, 2013, 8:24 pm

It won't cure it instantly if water is there. The metho has to work on the water and as it is only going through at the rate you can burn it, that will take a while. It is just an alternative to draining the bowl or to make sure any water in tank and system is gradually removed. Only do it sometimes.
Most Toyota carby's have a drain which is also the main jet removal hole. Usually relatively easy to get to.

If you can drain and then run it ,that will tell if it is water trouble or not.

mrsparky

Unread post by mrsparky » September 4th, 2013, 5:58 pm

Mydmax, cheers for the reply. I've drained the bowl, checked the fuel pump is working, drained probably 5-6 litres of fuel out of the tank and still no deal. Narrowed it down to spark issue. I've replaced the ignition coil, to no avail. But after talking to the mechanic who installed the electronic dizzy, he thinks it could be the electronic module in the dizzy, after talking to the manufacturer of the part. Either cooked or losing juice during cranking and driving?? Have you or anyone had any experience with these modules or elect dizzys?

Thanks Shane.

mrsparky

Unread post by mrsparky » September 4th, 2013, 5:59 pm

P.s. I found no trace of water anywhere.

mrsparky

3f drama on fraser!

Unread post by mrsparky » September 4th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Gday all,
I'm currently stuck on Fraser with my fj73 up at the camp site collecting sand, after spluttering and dying a few moments after driving through roughly 2-3 ft of water.
So I've spent the last 4 days, draining fuel bowls, checking fuel pumps, draining main tanks, checking leads, checking plugs, dizzycaps, testing juice and replacing the ignition coil with a brand new one.
Still no good.
Car starts revs hard and idles fine. As soon as power is applied in rev or 1st it splutters coughs, sometimes dying as soon as power is applied.
Once it dies it won't even get close to starting.
Now after talking with the mechanic who installed a new electronic dizzy in it ( as well as a tune and service 4 weeks ago) he believes it may be the electronic module inside the new dizzy that's died. This was after him explaining the symptoms to the manufacturer of the elect dizzy.
Has anyone had a similar experience or know much about these electronic dizzy modules?

Cheers Shane.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » September 4th, 2013, 7:34 pm

maybe you could bypass the ignition switch and supply a full 12 V to it and try. If that works, then you could fit a relay later to supply full 12 V where needed

Return to “Petrol Tech”