V8 FJ62 Cooling system

From four-bangers to dirty great V8s, get your petrol tech here
ingles
Here and there

V8 FJ62 Cooling system

Unread post by ingles » July 29th, 2013, 10:20 am

Took the 62 to Adelaide on weekend (from Murray Bridge) and it sorta played up on me.On the way down, it was fine on the freeway, but when I slowed to town speeds throught Mt Barker /Meadows, temp would start climbing.Once up to speed, it went back down,although still higher than normal.
On the return journey, it started getting hot, but then stabilised,but sat at 95c instead of roughly 80-85C.My original suspicion was fan clutch on the way out, but now Im not so sure.
I am going to do a flush and replace the thermostat ,as the current one is of unknown vintage and condition,but then where do people think I should be looking.I know to only change one thing at a time so I can track my progress.
Vehicle is fitted with 302 Windsor, factory radiator (from Cruiser) and factory shroud and fan/clutch setup.
Any yays or nays for Falcon thermo setup instead of factory clutch and fan? Or other suggestions?Thanks for looking.

toy yoda

Re: V8 FJ62 Cooling system

Unread post by toy yoda » July 29th, 2013, 10:52 am

a viscous fan working correctly if most efficient
if your temp is ok at speed then generally its the fan that's the issue.
Do you have a shroud fitted on radiator, if not they are a must have
________________________www.loveday4x4adventures.com________________________
thanks to... APM Radiators.. DRW automatics..Boss Racing Diffs..Sprint Auto Parts.. Bob Jane Marion..Noarlunga refrigeration..J&S Suspension (et4wd)..Heinrich Performance Dyno..

ingles
Here and there

Re: V8 FJ62 Cooling system

Unread post by ingles » July 29th, 2013, 12:07 pm

Yep ,factory shroud fitted,looks like I need to replace fan clutch then.

Return to “Petrol Tech”