1FZ head job - anyone have a step by step guide?

From four-bangers to dirty great V8s, get your petrol tech here
jim80h
Here and there

1FZ head job - anyone have a step by step guide?

Unread post by jim80h » July 19th, 2013, 7:04 am

Hi everyone,

Im in need of a bit of advise. I have the dreaded 1fz head gasket problem :whyme: . Just wondering if anyone has a step by step for removing the head, or at least could point me in the right direction. Whilst I am no mechanic, I am reasonably good at following instructions, just need to be pointed in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: 1FZ head job - anyone have a step by step guide?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 19th, 2013, 8:37 am

Visit your local AutoPro or Repco, Bursons, whatever and ask for a Gregory's or Hayne's Workshop manual for your vehicle - cost, maybe $50 or so, but it will be the best $$ you have ever invested in your 4WD (or any other car for that matter!) They have reasonably easy to understand 'step by step' guides for just about all/any jobs that it is feasible for the home spanner-spinner to attempt. No, it won't have details on how to pull down and re-furbish your VE style diesel Injector Pump, cos that's not something you really should ever attempt at home, but it will have details on how to diagnose major issues, remove the busted pump, & install the replacement pump, including static timing etc. And of course, it will have details on how to troubleshoot most common head problems, do a compression test etc, and a step by step guide on removing the head itself, replacing the gasket, and re-installing the head, torquing it down properly, and all the associated tasks and issues you might meet along the way.

If you don't have a workshop manual for your vehicle, you SHOULD get one, every 4WD'er should have one in their vehicle whenever they head off the beaten track, even if you don't know how to spin a spanner, if you need help and the next vehicle that comes along does have someone in it with a bit of an idea, that manual may make it possible for him/her/shim (or you) to get your vehicle running &/or mobile again. Gregory's or Hayne's are probably a little better for that sort of stuff than many of the expensive OE workshop manuals, the OE books often assume a degree of understanding and ability with the spanners that the Gregory's/Hayne's don't necessarily assume you have - sure, they may tend to be a little generic, but they usually hold enough info for the home spanner-spinner to get the job done. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Phantomxr8
Here and there

Re: 1FZ head job - anyone have a step by step guide?

Unread post by Phantomxr8 » July 24th, 2013, 12:22 pm

I'm about to do exactly this this afternoon as I have a blown head gasket/cracked head too. I totally agree with getting a manual even if its just for the torque specs. The main thing you have to worry about is marking the timing gear on the camshafts, really its just radiator out or at least empty, rocker cover off inlet off (in one piece to the side) exhaust off then cams out shims out head bolts out and head off. Make sure you mark where everything came from so it can go back the same and I recommend new head bolts.
Make sure you send the head off to get pressure and crack tested.

If you have had a blown head gasket its also best to get the radiator cleaned by a pro.
Now in an 80 series Cruiser

Return to “Petrol Tech”