100 Series V8 fuel consumption - is this OK?

From four-bangers to dirty great V8s, get your petrol tech here
capt c
I'm new, be nice!

100 Series V8 fuel consumption - is this OK?

Unread post by capt c » July 26th, 2011, 12:44 pm

I have a 2005 100 Series 4.7 lt V8 petrol cruiser wagon I have just done a trip of 14,500 klm towing a 6 mt Van(approx 2.5 t) and a tinnie on the roof my fuel consumption was a disaster @ 3.27 klm to the litre or 30.49 lt per 100klm what can i do mechanicly to improve this situation for the next trip around town I get 6klm to the lt. I and am not happy with this either, have been back to Toyota and they told me that 6 is OK so have not been back since

Capt C :cry:

taslucas
Here and there

Re: fuel consumption

Unread post by taslucas » July 26th, 2011, 7:17 pm

Buy a GQ and drive it for a while then jump back in the cruiser and your fuel consumption will seem a lot better lol.

A V8 petrol in a heavy car with a heavy load will chew juice.

Maybe an exhaust?
Does anyone do computer chip upgrades?
Would it use less with a supercharger?
How good is an lpg conversion on these engines?
A dyno tune for optimal performance?

Les Addison
Avid Poster

Unread post by Les Addison » July 26th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Hi Capt C, you have prompted me to comment as I have a V8 NA Chev Diesel automatic in my Troopie Towing a 5.3 M 17.5' Off road Trakmaster , have just done a similar trip with roof rack packed but no boat. My rig is always way too heavy with the gear we take. Return trip from WA was against unbearable head winds and maintaining speeds around 85- 95KPH. My consumption was nearly the same as yours. I would be interested in further comments regarding the V8 100 series as I am forced to sell my faithful friend after 26 years as it is not legal to tow this weight with it. The scalies are more active these days. Les

capt c
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by capt c » July 26th, 2011, 9:27 pm

I have had it suggested to change the exhaust to 3'' and possible try a chip but I would like to hear if someone has done this and hear their results I dont want to start reinventing the wheel
Capt C

bravoboy300
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bravoboy300 » August 14th, 2011, 5:35 pm

if the wasted gasses can be gotten rid of quicker (larger zorst) and air can be fed in quicker (snorkel, turbo/supercharger) fuel consumption can improve, however people dont tend to see this with a turbo as they use this power and chew the juice... Chips can be good as they re-map the fuel and hence allow you to go quicker with less pedal effort (hence less fuel) I would probably look into a larger zorst and a chip first...

bloke76
Avid Poster

Unread post by bloke76 » August 26th, 2011, 1:10 pm

i'm afraid to say that is probably not far from normal.
a mate has av8 petrol 100 series, he has 3inch beaudesert exhaust - he gets 19lt/100 around town and 22lt/100 towing his little jayco pop top.

I used to own a 4.5 6 cyl 100 series it chewed 20-25ltres per hundred. I sold it cause i was sick of economy.

like they say the only thing more thirsty than a petrol cruiser is a 4.8litre petrol patrol

pathetic economy is why petrol landcruiser and patrol wagons are so cheap.

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » August 26th, 2011, 9:52 pm

Let's be honest, a two tonne car, towing a 2.5 tonne van, with a boat on top with a V8. It's never going to be good. Your only real options are, drive slower, LPG, or live with it. Chips, exhausts, etc may make small improvements arond the edges but it's never going to be an econobox.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

bravoboy300
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bravoboy300 » September 12th, 2011, 8:00 pm

or look into diesels.....

100BOB
Getting to know the place

Unread post by 100BOB » March 24th, 2012, 1:23 pm

I am tossing up with selling my 4.5 100 series atm for the same reasons. But I have come up with the fact that I could be coming up with an extra $10-15K for a half decent diesel cruiser - that sort of money could pay for a lot of petrol, and would take me a lot of km's to break even when talking fuel savings.

bronco84nag
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by bronco84nag » July 17th, 2012, 4:15 pm

Hi Capt C I also have a 2003 100 series v8 and I get 17lt/100 towing our double horse float even over the cunninghams gap south of brisbane. I have changed the factory headers for genie hp coated pacemakers hi twin hiflow metal cats and dual 2 1/2 exhaust. I have also installed a K&N airfilter (make sure you keep it clean) and twin hiclones. If I drive easy without the float I can get 11.5ltr/100. The power increase and the sound if great. Hope this all helps. Next is a chip and maybe a supercharger.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: 100 Series V8 fuel consumption - is this OK?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 17th, 2012, 6:06 pm

Always pays to check the date of the last post fellas - and if it's a fair while ago, it might even pay to look at the OP's user profile - that tells us Capt C joined about 12 months ago, made two posts in this thread, last looked at the Forum on 14 Aug 2011, and hasn't poked his head in or made a post since..... so I'd suspect he won't be too quick in making a comment or replying to your recent posts, but I guess you never know... :purplex:

Good Luck ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

danannette
Avid Poster

Unread post by danannette » July 17th, 2012, 7:35 pm

^^^ but it might just help someone else in a similar situation ;)

Cheers,

Trolin
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Trolin » December 8th, 2012, 9:31 am

Hi sorry coming in late on this but I own a 2005 v8 4.7 Landcruiser with roof rack and have converted it to liquid gas injection and done a 2wd conversion. Best move ever, still bad fuel consumption but compare it to my 2011 diesel Colorado 4x4 it is cheaper to run!! Big call I know. My wife 3 kids and I holiday on the mid north coast on a regular basis (300 km from my place to camp site) and with both trucks loaded up by the time we pull in for the last fuel stop even though the cruiser takes more fuel it is cheaper at the till, simple cruiser uses 20 lts per 100 km Colorado uses 9.8 but with gas less than 1/2 that of diesel no brainer. Nice to drive a v8 costing less than a diesel!! By the way landcruiser has all steel barwork winch draws where the Colorado is totally stock.

Mannie73
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Mannie73 » March 4th, 2014, 9:03 pm

We had a lovely 2004 100 Series V8 Kakadu on petrol. Towing a 3000 kg van the average fuel consumption was about 20 litres per 100 km BUT that excluded hilly country, no head winds and speeds less than 90 km.hour. Through the hills the fuel consumption rockets to about 33 litres per 100 km. Still, it was a lovely car and never let us down, great suspension, great turning circle very comfortable. Unfortunately , my wife rolled it and the van near Warwick last June and both car and van were written off. Sadly, I could not replace the car with the insurance payout so opted for a 2007 Nissan Navara D40 ST X. It tows the van but its not a patch on the Cruiser

rodwb57
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by rodwb57 » March 21st, 2016, 10:10 pm

Hi guys.
I have a 100 series V8 on gas, and last year I went on a trip from SA across to McKay, then to Darwin, and back home. I was towing my boat, I got reasonable fuel consumption, about 30 liters to the 100 kilometers, until coming home, when my partner decided to use the boat as a trailer, and loaded it the boat right up, and then it was 53 liters to the 100 kilometers, sitting on about 95 kph. Recently I had a unichip fitted, whilst the fuel consumption went down, the power was down because the guy set the power range to start at 2500 rpm, so I have to use the gears more, recently I went to marion bay pulling the boat, and on petrol I got 22 liters to the 100, but on gas 19 liters to the 100. (Now a lot of people will say crap, but with the unichip set up you can totally separate petrol mapping from gas mapping) unfortunately the guy set it up for a drag car, once I hit the 2500 rpm mark, well did it take off, talk about setting you back in the seat! Today I took it back and he is going to leave the top settings alone, but change it down low(1600 rpm) that's where you need it, and because I won't have to change down all the time after this, the guy is hoping(and so am I) that I will get even better milage fingers crossed. I have a Mitsubishi V6 3 liter outlander, and towing the boat I am on about 25 liters to the 100 kilometers, so I think the big V8 toyota is the way to go. We intend on a going around Australia trip soon, so with the chip set up properly, and my 3 inch exhaust system, I won't have to see the bank manager to run it.

Return to “Petrol Tech”