View topic - engine vibration 97 prado.3400 v6

engine vibration 97 prado.3400 v6

From four-bangers to dirty great V8s, get your petrol tech here
Getting to know the place

engine vibration 97 prado.3400 v6

Hi to all fellow 4x4 lovers! what a great site this is,ive found so much experience here that im back with a problem im havin with my 97 prado,hopin that someone else has had the same issue and solved it.I have encountered an engine vibration at between 2000 and 3000 rpm,its annoying at the least and is there even when stationary ive replaced the exhaust with headers and new pipe all the way back and this did make it better and a lot of extra grunt too but the vibe is still there engine mounts ok,and nothing touching anywhere underneath.its worse under full power but dissapears after 3000 rpm. Havent heard of torque converters getting out of balance but seems to me that it must be something that runs at same speed as crank,in or out of gear makes no differance,any ideas? dave.

Unread postby cristals » May 15th, 2011, 12:38 am

Been here a while

Re: engine vibration 97 prado.3400 v6

The harmonic balancer is not broken?

I know the 90 series had the vibration problem around the 3000rpm mark but that was the factory exhaust. But you mentioned its happening at idle?

What about in neutral and free revving to 3000rpm?

Unread postby drgtr » May 18th, 2011, 11:40 am

gday drgtr! thanks for the reply,this engine will make the same vibe even if out of gear and stationary!although not as bad, balancer is fine engine mounts fine, also replaced the viscouse fan with a thermo fan set up that also smoothed the engine down a bit too,yesterday i chatted with a toyota master mech that runs his own buisiness so hes not bound to say what toyota tells him to say,and he checked it over and came up with nothing visible,although he will be checking tappet shims next week at my request coz they are way overdue and i use lpg most of the time.If i have to ill get the convertor replaced but shes only done 165000 kms . Any ideas! coz im running out here! thanks,Dave

Unread postby cristals » May 20th, 2011, 12:30 pm

Been here a while

It's normal and there's nothing you can do! There's nothing wrong with the motor, it won't explode or anything! Ours had 140,000km when we got it and I was aware about the issue and ours did it - now around 260,000 and no issues.

Cheers,

Mark.

Unread postby BOBA74 » May 23rd, 2011, 11:21 pm

gday BOBA74,Thanks for your reply,i realise its not going to explode but im one of those blokes that cant leave it alone,if its not meant to do it then i want to know why it is!ive had the valve clearances done now so that wasent it. although there was a few tight ones to adjust so lucky it was done anyway.strange that yours went away after a few more kms, did you have engine mounts replaced by any chance in that time? anyway i will keep looking, you never know! Cheers Dave.

Unread postby cristals » May 26th, 2011, 1:46 am

Been here a while

Cristals

I know this is obvious but have you tried repacing the leads and spark plugs? Cheap enough to do.
Some of the leads are sooo original they get old. Just slight misfire can come up as a vibration as weak spark getting blown out?

I had one my my spark plugs die today and it did that. I thought hmmm Vibration... the more I drove I realise it was a misfire.

Unread postby drgtr » May 29th, 2011, 6:19 pm

Been here a while

Hey Cristals, with the "no issues" bit, I meant it still has the vibration around 2600-2800rpm and in the 100,000km+ we've had it, there's been no issues so I believe it's doing no harm. I used to do casual work with my wife's uncle who owns/runs a large mechanical business and a couple of the mechanics have them based on their experiences with customers Prado's - they're just a great reliable 4wd.

Mark.

Unread postby BOBA74 » May 31st, 2011, 11:43 pm

drgtr wrote:Cristals

I know this is obvious but have you tried repacing the leads and spark plugs? Cheap enough to do.
Some of the leads are sooo original they get old. Just slight misfire can come up as a vibration as weak spark getting blown out?

I had one my my spark plugs die today and it did that. I thought hmmm Vibration... the more I drove I realise it was a misfire.

Gday drgtr! yep ive replaced leads and plugs but no change,recon i will have to live with it eh! Cheers Dave.

Unread postby cristals » June 9th, 2011, 11:36 am

BOBA74 wrote:Hey Cristals, with the "no issues" bit, I meant it still has the vibration around 2600-2800rpm and in the 100,000km+ we've had it, there's been no issues so I believe it's doing no harm. I used to do casual work with my wife's uncle who owns/runs a large mechanical business and a couple of the mechanics have them based on their experiences with customers Prado's - they're just a great reliable 4wd.

Mark.

Hi Mark, Oh my mistake! thought ya meant it dissapeared alltogeather! I aggree its a great 4wd Ive driven a few landrovers and patrols and this prado ******* all over them in the dirt. Cheers for the reply,Dave

Unread postby cristals » June 9th, 2011, 11:43 am

Avid Poster

Sounds like a vibration I had on my V8 commodore. It took me ages to fix it. was only slight, came in at 1800rpm, went away about 2800rpm and bugged the hell out of me for ages. problem is with vibrations is they have a central source and resonate so other things make them worse or better.
Ok so my first thought was the torque converter too. most torque converters lock electrically and the little solenoid thingo that locks inside the converter vibrates till it locks. I had my trans rebuilt for other reasons but had the converter replaced at the same time. still had a vibe. engine mounts changed. my originals looked perfect but replaced them anyway. slight improvement, still there tho. checked my trans mount. wasnt replaced at the time the trans was out because it looked perfect. changed it anyway, got a little more improvement. changed water pump because of end play, tried running the motor without a fan, still there, changed my harmonic balancer, still there had my tailshaft rebuilt and balanced, excellent move much improved but there was still an engine vibration evident. finally had to take the trans back for a service and some mods to the shift kit and had another trans guy work on it. explained my problem that I had been chasing for some two or three years. He happened to be one of the few trans guys that actually has a converter balancing machine. guess what? both the original converter and the second one I had fitted were both out of whack, the whole body of the converter was out of balance. he rebuilt one of the two for me and balanced it up. I can now honestly claim to have one of the smoothest and vibration free commodore drivelines in Australia! I was so happy I finally nailed the bastard down. It cost me thousands but I dont care now.
Sorry to rattle on but I know exactly how you feel. its not a big issue but it is annoying as hell. If you take any of this info onboard take these facts away with you
My vehicle is a 1993 HSV with only 150,000kays. It never gets driven often in the 10 years or so I've owned it. It's my hangar queen.

1: many torque converters both from the factory and rebuilt are not balanced and will give you the source of the vibe you have now.
2:engine and trans mounts can look perfect but they are not
3: a slight vibe like from a central source like the converter will transmit its self through other areas of the vehicle
4: if its not the converter, it could be an accesory driving off the front of the motor like a power steering pump or an alternator but unlikley because really only big fan would have the reciprocating weight
Lastly, it could actually be the motor but rarely it is. They are balanced pretty good and they have a harmonic balancer / damper that works well in most cases.

If I were you, I'd get that converter checked by someone that can balance it for you. wont be cheap but I can almost guarantee you will get a result.
I'm so confident because it sounds exactly like the issue I had and you describe everything done so far that I did and it was still there.
Keen to know how you go

Unread postby 80Butts » June 10th, 2011, 12:25 pm

80Butts wrote:Sounds like a vibration I had on my V8 commodore. It took me ages to fix it. was only slight, came in at 1800rpm, went away about 2800rpm and bugged the hell out of me for ages. problem is with vibrations is they have a central source and resonate so other things make them worse or better.
Ok so my first thought was the torque converter too. most torque converters lock electrically and the little solenoid thingo that locks inside the converter vibrates till it locks. I had my trans rebuilt for other reasons but had the converter replaced at the same time. still had a vibe. engine mounts changed. my originals looked perfect but replaced them anyway. slight improvement, still there tho. checked my trans mount. wasnt replaced at the time the trans was out because it looked perfect. changed it anyway, got a little more improvement. changed water pump because of end play, tried running the motor without a fan, still there, changed my harmonic balancer, still there had my tailshaft rebuilt and balanced, excellent move much improved but there was still an engine vibration evident. finally had to take the trans back for a service and some mods to the shift kit and had another trans guy work on it. explained my problem that I had been chasing for some two or three years. He happened to be one of the few trans guys that actually has a converter balancing machine. guess what? both the original converter and the second one I had fitted were both out of whack, the whole body of the converter was out of balance. he rebuilt one of the two for me and balanced it up. I can now honestly claim to have one of the smoothest and vibration free commodore drivelines in Australia! I was so happy I finally nailed the bastard down. It cost me thousands but I dont care now.
Sorry to rattle on but I know exactly how you feel. its not a big issue but it is annoying as hell. If you take any of this info onboard take these facts away with you
My vehicle is a 1993 HSV with only 150,000kays. It never gets driven often in the 10 years or so I've owned it. It's my hangar queen.

1: many torque converters both from the factory and rebuilt are not balanced and will give you the source of the vibe you have now.
2:engine and trans mounts can look perfect but they are not
3: a slight vibe like from a central source like the converter will transmit its self through other areas of the vehicle
4: if its not the converter, it could be an accesory driving off the front of the motor like a power steering pump or an alternator but unlikley because really only big fan would have the reciprocating weight
Lastly, it could actually be the motor but rarely it is. They are balanced pretty good and they have a harmonic balancer / damper that works well in most cases.

If I were you, I'd get that converter checked by someone that can balance it for you. wont be cheap but I can almost guarantee you will get a result.
I'm so confident because it sounds exactly like the issue I had and you describe everything done so far that I did and it was still there.
Keen to know how you go

gday!, thanks heaps for the input and ideas, I will take it onboard and get the convertor balanced,and keep ya posted,have a good day,Dave.

Unread postby cristals » June 10th, 2011, 12:56 pm

Return to Petrol Tech