View topic - 1hz - V8 diesel

1hz - V8 diesel

Got a problem or suggestion relating to oil burners? Post it here
Here and there

1hz - V8 diesel

hey, my dad is thinking about putting a v8 diesel into his 80 series, it has a 1hz in it now, what recomendations do u guys have?

also what would need to be done to a petrol 80 series to put the 1hz in it?

thanks

Unread postby 80seriesKiddo » August 11th, 2010, 10:13 am

Been here a while

80seriesKiddo wrote:hey, my dad is thinking about putting a v8 diesel into his 80 series, it has a 1hz in it now, what recomendations do u guys have?

also what would need to be done to a petrol 80 series to put the 1hz in it?

thanks

A Chev 6.5 V8 diesel is the logical choice. All the adaptors etc are available already and many such conversions have been done. If you aren't too handy with the spanners, then contact Brunswick Diesel in WA as they are the gurus on these conversions.

It would be great if the 4.5 V8 Toyota diesel in the current crop of Landcruisers would fit, but have a sneaking feeling that it is too wide for the 80 series....glad to be proven wrong.

The 1hz into the petrol 80 series "should" be a simple changeover (relatively speaking); the issues would be with electronics, tacho, instrument cluster and seemingly simple stuff like that I reckon.
6.5 litres of Uncle Sam's best iron under the bonnet of Japan's best 4x4: The Chev-Nissan

Unread postby Roachie » August 11th, 2010, 12:46 pm

Have a read through this thread

_http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=23850
Paste the above URL as links within the forum get automatically mangled
[url=http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=23850]
[/URL]

Unread postby nilla60 » August 11th, 2010, 7:30 pm

Been here a while

nilla60 wrote:Have a read through this thread

_http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=23850
Paste the above URL as links within the forum get automatically mangled
[url=http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=23850]
[/URL]

Here is the link http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=23850

That is a massive thread that has been "going" for several years and really isn't of much value to the bloke making the original enquiry.....but is great for those of us who already own a Chev 6.5
6.5 litres of Uncle Sam's best iron under the bonnet of Japan's best 4x4: The Chev-Nissan

Unread postby Roachie » August 12th, 2010, 7:01 pm

Avid Poster

i read up a coupla months ago, about a lad that did a VDJ swap into a 105. complete with box and loom. not sure wat the thread was called.
HJ75RP- 33x75/16 MTR's, DTS Mitsubishi Turbo kit (9psi), Wrecker special bullbar, stock splitties, EFS suspension kit, bitch lights and more to come!

Unread postby locked_hj » August 12th, 2010, 7:05 pm

Been here a while

I have had a 1hz with an after market turbo on it. i then up graded to the 6.5 chev diesel. the only diff was the chev was way heavier and had more tourqe. same road speed and pick up. was a waste of $15k in my opinion. Since then I have fitted a gen 3 as have a few mates. this is the best way to go by far. This is what we have found
:They are 230kg lighter than the diesel.
:Double the horse power
:Get about 10l per 100k hwy driving
:They will run under water
:About $5k cheaper to fit up

Unread postby Lovedayfun » August 12th, 2010, 8:08 pm

Avid Poster

Lovedayfun wrote:I have had a 1hz with an after market turbo on it. i then up graded to the 6.5 chev diesel. the only diff was the chev was way heavier and had more tourqe. same road speed and pick up. was a waste of $15k in my opinion. Since then I have fitted a gen 3 as have a few mates. this is the best way to go by far. This is what we have found

Smart man! Gen 3 is definitely way cheaper than the chev diesel and a better option in pretty much every way. Once all you blokes stop sniffing your diesel and get on to the real motors you'll be much better off:thumb:

Unread postby Kitika » August 12th, 2010, 9:43 pm

Avid Poster

Lovedayfun wrote:I have had a 1hz with an after market turbo on it. i then up graded to the 6.5 chev diesel. the only diff was the chev was way heavier and had more tourqe. same road speed and pick up. was a waste of $15k in my opinion. Since then I have fitted a gen 3 as have a few mates. this is the best way to go by far. This is what we have found

x2 - if you're going to stay with a diesel a 1HZ turbo is a much more economical option than a V8 conversion. And if you get the turbo fitted and tuned properly they really fly

Unread postby Mr Guzzi » August 13th, 2010, 12:48 am

Avid Poster

Kitika wrote: Once all you blokes stop sniffing your diesel and get on to the real motors you'll be much better off:thumb:

you know where u can put that remark hey??? LOL
HJ75RP- 33x75/16 MTR's, DTS Mitsubishi Turbo kit (9psi), Wrecker special bullbar, stock splitties, EFS suspension kit, bitch lights and more to come!

Unread postby locked_hj » August 13th, 2010, 8:02 am

Been here a while

Unread postby dousty » August 13th, 2010, 8:20 am

Avid Poster

thanks Dousty, thats wat i was referring to. i apologise i thought it was a 1VDJ not the petrol version, spose it wouldnt be that hard to do the diesel swap either??? engines look pretty much identical except the 1VD-FTV is petrol. oh...here's another thought to chew on, the left hand side intake manifold/exhaust manifold setup off a 200 series wagon WILL bolt straight onto the left hand side of the 79 series motor, along with the ecu chip will plug in straight up. an extra 20% hp and torque. find a written off one and go hard.

Unread postby locked_hj » August 13th, 2010, 8:25 am

Banned

Considered pulling the 1HZ out and putting a 1HDFTE in.

Heaps better then the outdated Chev.

Dave.

Unread postby Dave_STR » August 13th, 2010, 1:26 pm

Here and there

locked_hj wrote:thanks Dousty, thats wat i was referring to. i apologise i thought it was a 1VDJ not the petrol version, spose it wouldnt be that hard to do the diesel swap either??? engines look pretty much identical except the 1VD-FTV is petrol. oh...here's another thought to chew on, the left hand side intake manifold/exhaust manifold setup off a 200 series wagon WILL bolt straight onto the left hand side of the 79 series motor, along with the ecu chip will plug in straight up. an extra 20% hp and torque. find a written off one and go hard.

I think you'll find the 1VD-FTV is diesel.
Petrol would be a 2uz-fe 4.7ltr V8.

VDJ stands for 1VD-FTV equiped Landcruiser. EG; VDJ79 v8 diesel Cruiser ute.

Best engine to go for if wanting to stay diesel would be a 1HD-FTE. But an aftermarket turbo kit on a 1HZ will still go pretty well.

Unread postby Tauni » August 16th, 2010, 1:54 pm

Here and there

Dave_STR wrote:Considered pulling the 1HZ out and putting a 1HDFTE in.

Heaps better then the outdated Chev.

Dave.

1HDFTE is easily one of the best motors that toyota put out. powerful. torqy. bloody simple aswell.
a mate of ours ripped out the 1hz and put a 1hd in his 100 series. coupled with a 3 inch exhaust, steinbauer chip and a safari intercooler hes pulls 180kw at the wheels and he gets 16l/100km.

seems like a logical choice to me. Chev diesel is to heavy and for the money you spend getting a conversion. you could get a 1hd, aftermarket forced induction, plus a host of other goodies and you will still have change in your pockets aswell as more power anyway.....the 1hd puts out more kw standard but about 70nm less.........1HD all the way i reckon
I can clearly see your nuts:crazy:

As a result of the new diet, I am now 'forced' to jog to Maccas:waycool:
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/index.php?id=9166&im=1 comments please!

Unread postby Chook91 » August 16th, 2010, 5:43 pm

Been here a while

i agree a 1hdfte would be good but i would go the 1hd because its much simpler to work on less flashy electric thingys that can go wrong
[font=Viner Hand ITC, cursive][size=134]In life, we struggle as individuals,
A fine line between a clich? saying[font=Viner Hand ITC, cursive][

Unread postby dobester87 » August 16th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Next

Return to Diesel Tech